Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How many camera bags / packs do you own?
0 10.60%
1-2 3118.67%
3-4 6438.55%
5-6 4124.70%
7-8 127.23%
9-10 95.42%
11-12 31.81%
13-15 31.81%
16-20 10.60%
21+ 10.60%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How many camera bags / packs do you own?

How many camera bags / packs do you own?

07-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
too many

I only paid for 2 though, the others just seem to have accumulated with lot purchases on old gear.
the one i use most is actually not a camera bag but a canvas messenger bag retrofitted with some bits and pieces from my big crumpler messenger bag
07-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
10-15. I keep collecting them.

Main bag that I keep most things in is a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 (original version). Holds my K-5, and three lenses along with flash, flash meter and batteries & cards and various others pieces of accumulated photographic junk that might be useful.

It generally stays in the car when I'm going somewhere and acts as a base station. (It doesn't stay in the car when I'm at home or visiting people)

Lowepro Toploader 55Zoom AW also has my K-5 in it along with batteries and cards for when I'm walking around. I usually attach one or two sliplock lens pouches or bottle bags to it depending on what else I want to carry.

Lowepro Slingbag 200AW (or something like that) holds my strobist collection (cheap flash, optical triggers, cables, batteries) and my Panosaurus 2.0 panoramic head for real estate work.

Lots of various other camera bags and pouches kicking around holding 35mm bodies, lens, Pocket Wizards and an astounding collection of stuff.

I live in eternal hope that someday I might find the ultimate bag. Hasn't happened yet. RioRico collects lenses, I seem to be starting down the road with CBBA (camera bag buying addiction)
07-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote

I live in eternal hope that someday I might find the ultimate bag. Hasn't happened yet. RioRico collects lenses, I seem to be starting down the road with CBBA (camera bag buying addiction)
there is no ultimate bag unfortunately. the reason i made one out of a general purpose bag was to get something i'd use daily, but it has it's faults as well.
I thought the crumpler would be it and my wife bought it for me as a gift. Too big and heavy, drives her nuts i never use it (it looks like new 2 years later)

Edit - from the looks of all the stuff you have to accommodate the ultimate bag is actually a travel trunk and a Sherpa

07-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I love bags...............I have small, medium and large and a large Vanguard bag I use as a business bag for laptop and small camera...........
07-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A backpack, a medium bag which can hold the camera, flash and 3-4 additional lenses and plenty of equipment and a small sling type bag which can hold the camera with lens and one additional or the flash, plus a bit of essential accessories. So far, that's been enough.
07-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Two. A Medium-Small bag, room for a K-5+18-135, 50 1:2 (M), Helios 44, F Zoom 28-80, FA 100-300, Leather Case with M42 Asahi Pentax Extenstion Tubes, Industar 50 F3.5, Adapters, Remote, Lenspen, A Microfibre. I fit a lot into that poor bag...need a better one though, thing isn't designed for 30 lbs of gear.(Quite literally broke the clip which attaches the strap, so I replaced it with a US military carabiner.

Second one is a vintage Black's bag. Held a SF10 with the 28-80 on it. As well as about 10 rolls of film

07-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Four.

f.64 large backpack for my main bag
Tamrac 519 Pro Zoom Pack for when I go somewhere with just one camera
Two crappy eBay backpacks. One for spare stuff I don't use much & the other for flashes & lighting stuff.

My wife has a crappy Atlas backpack to store stuff in the house, and two Think Tank expandable cases to take on the road.
07-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Too many is my answer. I get them with lots of camera gear. Some are great like a Tamrac that I got that was like new and others are just mold factories. Of those that I purchased new or were gifts I have 7-8.

I find that I WANT to like the sling backpack types but that in practice they are too heavy, too large, and too difficult to access. TheVanguard Up-Rise 43 was a gift from my children and has a lot going for it, but the outer pocket with its oddball full length zipper up the middle is just not really very functional because it lets things fall out too easily. The interior and other features are good. The LowePro SlingShot 200 AW works better for me when I need more space and it uses the same sliplock attachable lens cases and bags as the TopLoader I like best.

I put my old LoweProToploader Zoom 55 AW on a very nice cushioned strap originally meant for a laptop case and it works much better, even with two lens cases hanging off the sides with the sliplock feature. I wish it were better padded on the bottom and the outer zippered compartment were padded at all, but it works well for me on a 1 camera outing.
07-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

1. Spotmatic case handed down from my father.
2. Tamrac Velocity
3. ThinkTank retro 5

Those are the only "camera bags" I have. However, I do carry my camera and equipment in other non-camera specific bags as the need dictates.
07-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
too many

I only paid for 2 though, the others just seem to have accumulated with lot purchases on old gear.
the one i use most is actually not a camera bag but a canvas messenger bag retrofitted with some bits and pieces from my big crumpler messenger bag

Don't matter how you got em. Just don't count lens cases.

Hard camera cases like alum or hardside plastic OK to count.

Anything purpose built, dedicated camera equip carrier.

Last edited by slackercruster; 07-12-2012 at 11:53 AM.
07-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Don't matter how you got em. Just don't count lens cases.

Hard cases OK to count.

Anything purpose built dedicated camera equip carrier
not counting lens cases that would more than double the count, closer to triple lol.
the one i use most is not purpose built though but homemade from bits and pieces in the crumpler (which has an insane number of dividers etc)
07-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
not counting lens cases that would more than double the count, closer to triple lol.
the one i use most is not purpose built though but homemade from bits and pieces in the crumpler (which has an insane number of dividers etc)
Yea, I got tons of lens cases. Bought Nikon and other pouches for lenses, then did not like them. So re bot most of them all is crazy priced Pentax S lens cases. They are the best. I can write on the space to list the lens inside. Only drawback is the crazy CRAZY pricing of them. Makes NO sense Pentax! And some sizes are very hard to come by.
07-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Yea, I got tons of lens cases. Bought Nikon and other pouches for lenses, then did not like them. So re bot most of them all is crazy priced Pentax S lens cases. They are the best. I can write on the space to list the lens inside. Only drawback is the crazy CRAZY pricing of them. Makes NO sense Pentax! And some sizes are very hard to come by.
I would only use them for storage, I never use them when i go out - that's what the bag is for lol, for storage anything i can seal with some dessicant in it will do to be honest
07-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have 10 if you include my carry all with DSLR insert and my holster, but most of them came with Goodwill stuff. I'm always finding old video cam bags and converting them into gear storage bags. I bought the holster and the carry all new, but I've never bought a traditional big gear bag new in my life. I pick them up for $5 at the thrifts, vacuum them out and use them. I'm careful about it. Nothing scroungy comes home but still I'm not paying $45 and up for a camera bag when I can get tons of them for nothing at Goodwill. I have far better things to spend my $$$ on.