Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For me after many pages of reading pros and cons on carbon fibre travel tripod i settled on this one
Series 2 Carbon Fiber 6X Traveler With GH2781TQR Ball Head GK2580TQR - Traveler Kits | Gitzo

its been over a year now and im quite happy there's no ballhead or column creep, im a 7D user with my heaviest lenses being the 70-200 2.8 II is L, the series 1 would have been adequate but ill be adding a 300/400 or another zoom 200-400 to my bag and it should be at the max load.

08-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I started out with a Gitzo Series 2 basalt with 3 leg sections and an Acratech ballhead. I found them both used and was quite happy with the prices. This combination tips my scale at about 5 pounds. They both work well, but I am usually backpacking 2-3 days a week with it and there are times I wish it weighed less. Looking at weight cutting measures I ordered a Benro carbon fiber travel flat tripod that only weighed 1.5 pounds and a Benro ballhead that weighed .62 pounds. When they arrived I kept the ballhead for use with k-5 and pancake lenses but couldn't stand the flimsiness of the tripod and sent it back. I then ordered a feisol 3342 that weighs 2.2 pounds, combining that with the ballhead puts my new hiking setup under 3 pounds. The feisol arrived 2 days ago and the quality feels good. To compare to the Gitzo, I would say the quality of the Gitzo feels great and the quality of the Feisol feels pretty good. I prefer 3 leg sections, I use the tripod and remote a lot while I am hiking and I don't like fussing around with extra legs each time I set it up or take it down. So for me 3 leg sections is perfect, plenty compact and faster to set up and take down.
08-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm eyeing off exactly the same combination right now.
Feisol 3342 (or the 3442) with no centre column fitted with an Acratech GP-s head

I've read these both have a decent sized plate to fit on the Acratech head and the upwards folding legs clear all of the knobs OK on the GP-s version of the head.
The only difference is 1- 1/2" in the height with the 3342 slightly taller but its 4" bigger in the folded length.

Fully extended legs with ballhead and body mounted, the viewfinder works out to almost exactly my eye level so it fits great.

Do you think it's rock solid enough for a 300mm lens (f4) and possibly using that "psuedo-gimbal" feature of the Acratech head ? With a bit of extra weight applied to the tripod for balance of course.
NEW FEISOL Tournament Tripod CT-3342 Rapid
NEW FEISOL Tournament Tripod CT-3442 Rapid
Acratech GP-s Ballhead

This the the thread in another forum which pretty much has me convinced as long as it really is solid enough.
Acratech GP-S & Feisol CT-3442 - Canon Digital Photography Forums

So is it? Really?

I currently use my $100 Alum tripod down on my knees because its noticeably wobbly (to me anyway) with more than 2 leg sections or the column extended. It weighs 1.1kg

The Feisol + Acratech would only weigh 1.5kg. My wallet would be significantly lighter though.
08-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got back from 3 days of hiking with the Feisol 3342 and am quite happy with it. I set it up in a river multiple times and always felt quite solid and I did not feel vibrations from the water passing by. I have the Acratech Ultimate ballhead not the GP-S, so I can't confirm or deny anything about it. The Ultimate ballhead is quite good though. I have taken pictures with my 60-250 mounted to it and been happy.

08-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grant richie Quote
I just got back from 3 days of hiking with the Feisol 3342 and am quite happy with it. I set it up in a river multiple times and always felt quite solid and I did not feel vibrations from the water passing by.
Wow. Sounds nice, just realised your location, guess there'd be some great hiking & wildlife up there.
Setting up in a river or stream is a good test for what they'd still call a "lightweight" tripod.

In 2 weeks I'm going to the Outback for a week of photography(mainly), not so many rivers and streams out there.

On an old FEISOL site, which i think might be outdated, it says that the lower section of the 3342 is 22mm tubes because it isn't offered with anti-leg-rotation. The 3442 is 19mm lower section.

Now that it is available with anti-leg-rotation, what's the lowest leg section now? assuming you opted for it coming from Gitzo.

QuoteOriginally posted by grant richie:
I have the Acratech Ultimate ballhead not the GP-S, so I can't confirm or deny anything about it. The Ultimate ballhead is quite good though. I have taken pictures with my 60-250 mounted to it and been happy.
Ok thanks, the Ultimate I think is the original design. The GP-s is made for reverse folding legs with a smaller base and the tensioning knob repostioned. Anyway the Feisol 3342/3442 spec says has a decent size 80mm dia top plate so I guess these legs would fold up around any reasonable sized ballhead.

The Feisol & especially the Acratech look to be well engineered products, designed by engineers for photographers (I am one of those, trying to be both).

The shops here a full of Manfrotto which looks to be designed by a marketting department somewhere. Also it's damned expensive here for the good stuff.
08-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The one I purchased does have the anti leg rotation. I don't have a caliper handy, but using a tape measure I get 13/16" which converts to 20.63mm.

And yes, lots of great hiking around here.
08-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Another vote for feisol, they are a great brand at almost half the cost of comparable gitzos. I previously had a gitzo basalt series 1, now have the feisol ct-3471 (wanted the extra height and sturdy 37mm legs over the tournament series). I bought from Kerry at reallybigcameras.com (yes, he is a one-man operation) - he has probably answered at least a half dozen questions I've had both thoroughly and with very good advice (wish I listened when I bought my photoclam ballhead from him, he recommended a larger diameter but I stuck with the base 33mm head - it works great, but in retrospect I could've used the extra ball surface for a couple of larger lenses!).

Back to the tripods, the feisol I would say is pretty much equal in build quality with gitzo. Gitzo will likely get you a few little extra features, but their constant model updates will also force you to play games trying to find reviews for comparable older models. TBH I think it is a bit shady, knowing it is a large, likely one-time purchase by most of their buyers. Feisol has had the same model names for as long as they've been around, with the only addition being the option of the anti-rotation legs (which I opted not to get, no regret on that as it is 10 seconds difference for setting up the standard leg locks; had the anti-rotation on the gitzo and it was nice, but not a huge deal). the relatively inexpensive add-ons from feisol are also a nice way of doing business for those that don't need/want the added pieces (spiked feet, center columns, etc).
08-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

If you find a sturdy 4-5 section tripod, a 2-3 section unit made the same way will be superior.

08-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

How is Feisol with parts?
From what i hear Gitzo is pretty good with that so if you loose a special screw or something like that often you can still get an hold of one to repair your tripod.
08-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
If you find a sturdy 4-5 section tripod, a 2-3 section unit made the same way will be superior.
Not always the case! I went with the larger diameter feisol ct-3471 - the legs are equivalent to series 5 gitzo in diameters. The largest is 37mm diameter, with the smallest being 28mm - the smallest 4th section leg would easily fit the largest leg from my previous series 1 gitzo basalt tripod inside of it!
08-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
How is Feisol with parts?
From what i hear Gitzo is pretty good with that so if you loose a special screw or something like that often you can still get an hold of one to repair your tripod.
I know Kerry is a reseller and offers the same prices as direct from feisol - he should have the same warranty coverage, here is the service page from the feisol website:

Feisol Service