Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera Carrying Systems - suggestions?

A thread about going to Disney with the K-5+Grip and the Spider Holster system raised the question for me - what camera carry system?

I've been looking into it and have found the following options

Over Shoulder or Neck:
Black Rapid
C-Loop & Split Strap system
Camdapter SlingStrap
Carry Speed (1 or 2 Camera systems)
Op-Tech Utility Strap - Sling
Strap-Surfer
Sniper-Strap
Luma Labs Cinch
Camera Slingers (1 or 2 Cameras)

Belt or Harness Based:
Opteka QuickShot Pro Belt Holster
Cotton Carrier Systems
Spider Holsters
Capture Camera Clip System
Crumpler Convenient Disgrace Camera Strap

Single Hand Grip Systems:
Camdapter with Pro Strap
Pentax dSLR Leanter Hand Strap
Opteka Hand Strap
Cotton Carrier Universal Camera Hand Strap

Have I missed anything significant? Any thoughts on these competing approaches to having our cameras our and ready?

I did find a nice Adorama review of some options -

Last edited by Docrwm; 07-16-2012 at 03:58 PM.
07-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Doc,
Based on many reviews I'm going to try the Crumpler Industry Disgrace and the Op-tech Stabilizer hiking in Alberta soon.Geeky but comfort rules with the K-5 a backpack and poles. I don't know about side mounts with crowds at Disney but anything would be more comfortable than the OEM bandsaw Pentax strap. Enjoy the trip.
07-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I use the Black Rapid Extreme Sport with my K-5 and a long lens. The underarm strap is an important feature if you're carrying a heavy lens because it keeps the over-shoulder strap positioned where it is supposed to be. I like the unit very much, although at $70 it is overpriced. I've recently seen some knock-offs on eBay for less than $20 -- can't speak to their quality.

Russ
07-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Doc,
Based on many reviews I'm going to try the Crumpler Industry Disgrace and the Op-tech Stabilizer hiking in Alberta soon.Geeky but comfort rules with the K-5 a backpack and poles. I don't know about side mounts with crowds at Disney but anything would be more comfortable than the OEM bandsaw Pentax strap. Enjoy the trip.
Thanks for the ideas. I'm open to looking at anything new that is functional, well designed and made, and doesn't break the bank.

The Crumpler Industry Disgrace looks a lot like the Op/Tech Pro strap which is less expensive and more configurable from what I can see online.

07-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Optech

Maybe not as sophisticated as some but I find it allows me to carry the camera without really noticing it is there anymore. Hangs at right side waist. No neck strain. Since it uses webbing connectors you can configure it however you want: Sling strap hanging on the side, neck strap if you like that, or no strap for use on tripod. And the camera connectors hook to each other with just enough play to make a poor man's hand grip.
07-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Kata reflex e is my choice for k5 + grip. When i take the grip off i unclip the spongy part of the strap and clip on the regular pentax strap. A versatile system for me.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
07-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
Kata reflex e is my choice for k5 + grip. When i take the grip off i unclip the spongy part of the strap and clip on the regular pentax strap. A versatile system for me.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
I had someone tell me about the Kata reflex e before and when I looked into it the model had been discontinued. They do offer the Kata Pro-Light C-Strap but the connectors are LONG and end in spring clips for the neck/should strap. Seems to be designed to unhook and hook onto a backpack harness. Nice if you are using it that way but doesn't seem real practical for use independent from a harness.

07-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use the b grip, which is a holster type system that goes on your belt or on the supplied belt. Very nice to be able to walk around with BOTH hands free. I used the k-5 with 50-135 with no problems. The other advantage is that it has a quick release plate that fits into my manfrotto tripod heads. Very convenient.

However, it looks quite geeky at minimum, at worst it would look like you are carrying a gun...I use it if hiking etc, in the city I use it only in cool weather, when I can wear a light jacket to camouflage the geeky look:

Amazon.com: B-GRIP EVO Camera Belt: Camera & Photo
07-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use and like my Black Rapid.
07-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I use the Cotton Carrier. It's excellent for carrying the camera, especially if you have a long heavy zoom mounted. It's secure and won't be swinging around and banging into things and people. It's available in an instant. The only drawback is that it can be hot. It's a breathable mesh material but out in the sun all day at an amusement park, you're going to sweat but that's likely true of any product in the summer. I have carried my camera with a long tele all day and not get tired. It works as claimed. If you're skiing or climbing, I would consider this or a similar product essential,
07-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I use the Cotton Carrier. It's excellent for carrying the camera, especially if you have a long heavy zoom mounted. It's secure and won't be swinging around and banging into things and people. It's available in an instant. The only drawback is that it can be hot. It's a breathable mesh material but out in the sun all day at an amusement park, you're going to sweat but that's likely true of any product in the summer. I have carried my camera with a long tele all day and not get tired. It works as claimed. If you're skiing or climbing, I would consider this or a similar product essential,

I would encourage users of these systems to consider writing a review for the Accessories section of the review area. I think it would make most sense to put it in the Camera Straps - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database section. Perhaps that section could be renamed "Straps and Carry Systems" instead to better reflect the variety of options available today and to centralize them?
07-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I went with the Carry Speed CS-Pro for the interchangeability between the sling and the supplied wrist strap. That's the one feature I've been searching for.

I'm not using the clunky base plate that came with the CS-Pro. I understand it is being replaced by another base plate which I may buy later, but for now I'm fine with just attaching the caribiner directly to the tripod screw.
07-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I went with the Carry Speed CS-Pro for the interchangeability between the sling and the supplied wrist strap. That's the one feature I've been searching for.

I'm not using the clunky base plate that came with the CS-Pro. I understand it is being replaced by another base plate which I may buy later, but for now I'm fine with just attaching the caribiner directly to the tripod screw.
Thanks, that does look to be a fairly self-contained package with several options for how you want to carry your camera. One thing I can not find on their site is the length of the strap (I'm a big guy). Can you tell me about how long the strap is, and do you know if there are options for longer ones? Thanks.
07-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks, that does look to be a fairly self-contained package with several options for how you want to carry your camera. One thing I can not find on their site is the length of the strap (I'm a big guy). Can you tell me about how long the strap is, and do you know if there are options for longer ones? Thanks.
Sorry Doc, I don't feel qualified to answer. I suggest you email Carry Speed.
07-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Sorry Doc, I don't feel qualified to answer. I suggest you email Carry Speed.
Thanks, I think things like that ought to be easily found in the tech details for an item. If I develop this into an article then I'll probably do as you suggest.