Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Eneloop questions

I received some sanyo eneloop batteries in the mail this week. The insert information says that the batteries are pre-charged and good to go right out of the package up to one year from the manufacturing date that *should* be stamped on the package. I see where the date stamp should be, but can't read it. I think it says 10/07 but can't be sure.

My question is, should I try charging these new batteries before I use them? Is there any harm to charge them before I've used them through a whole cycle? I will be using them in my 540 flash for the fashion shoot tomorrow night.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/18759-fashion-shoot-advice-please-m.html

So please, if you use these eneloop batteries can you give me some advice? I obviously won't have time to run them until they need charging before tomorrow night.

thanks for your help!

01-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
I received some sanyo eneloop batteries in the mail this week. The insert information says that the batteries are pre-charged and good to go right out of the package up to one year from the manufacturing date that *should* be stamped on the package. I see where the date stamp should be, but can't read it. I think it says 10/07 but can't be sure.

My question is, should I try charging these new batteries before I use them? Is there any harm to charge them before I've used them through a whole cycle? I will be using them in my 540 flash for the fashion shoot tomorrow night.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/18759-fashion-shoot-advice-please-m.html

So please, if you use these eneloop batteries can you give me some advice? I obviously won't have time to run them until they need charging before tomorrow night.

thanks for your help!
LaRee, when I bought my Eneloops, I went ahead and gave them a good charging.

I thought it would be best to do that. Then I would know that they were fully charged.
01-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Inactive Account

either way - I used mine right out of the box - lasted several hundred shots. It doesn't hurt them to charge them right away either.
01-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No need to charge.

01-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, so it seems either way I *should* be ok. The camera shop that I am shooting for said they'll sneak back into the shop (it'll be closed) if anyone has any emergencies. I just wondered if I would harm the batteries by charging them before using them somehow.
Thank you for the replies
01-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
The insert information says that the batteries are pre-charged and good to go right out of the package up to one year from the manufacturing date
There is the answer!

This is not the first or even second time this exact question has been asked. It must be too good to be true for people to question it. I used them right out of the package without charging and got several hundred shots before they started to flag. These are great batteries!
01-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
There is the answer!

This is not the first or even second time this exact question has been asked. It must be too good to be true for people to question it. I used them right out of the package without charging and got several hundred shots before they started to flag. These are great batteries!
IF I was certain what the manufacturing date was, I wouldn't have concerns. BUT I don't KNOW the manufacturing date. What I see on the package is not really legible. I wouldn't have asked in the first place if this wasn't an important shoot for me tomorrow night.

thanks

01-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
roy
Inactive Account

come on,
just put them in the camera and use them. the package SAYS precharged.. record your starting number and ending number. recharge and do the same to compare the out come. with Hybrids i got 864 out of the package and 1200 shots after a recharge..
01-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If charging nearly-full batteries causes any harm (and I emphasize *if*) it would occur after many many repeated cycles. Just once to ensure full batteries for an event is well worth doing.
01-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #10

I am asking the same thing, I have a La Crosse BC-900 charger which will allow me to discharge the batteries and then recharge them. Should I do that so I have a full charge?
01-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #11

I would charge them just to get the extra 10-20% charge, but I think it will also be ok if you use them without additional charging. I top off my eneloops all the time and it hasn't caused any problems. The only way I can imagine this would cause a problem in your situation is if you have a old charger that uses a timer to shut off the charging (this could overcharge the batteries). Most chargers are smart enough to stop charging when the battery is full.

I think the LaCrosse discharge/charge cycle is generally a good thing to do with new batteries, but I rarely bother with AA batteries since it takes a really long time. Make sure you allocate enough time if you are going to do this.
01-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by walter Quote
I would charge them just to get the extra 10-20% charge, but I think it will also be ok if you use them without additional charging. I top off my eneloops all the time and it hasn't caused any problems. The only way I can imagine this would cause a problem in your situation is if you have a old charger that uses a timer to shut off the charging (this could overcharge the batteries). Most chargers are smart enough to stop charging when the battery is full.

I think the LaCrosse discharge/charge cycle is generally a good thing to do with new batteries, but I rarely bother with AA batteries since it takes a really long time. Make sure you allocate enough time if you are going to do this.
I figure if I use the assigned ma rate it should take about 12 hours to discharge and recharge. I am going on a trip, so I will have this done way before I leave. Thanks.