Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

3rd party batteries

3rd party batteries

How do they compare to original equipment batts?

Last as long before they need replacing?

07-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are various reports on PFs about them but I will say this - for $5 each I thought it worth trying them to see and if they were worthless then small loss. I've used them in both the K-r and K-5 and had no problems.
07-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have two and they seem good enough. I've had issues with them losing their charge in my bag before though, and my K-5 refuses to give an accurate view of remaining battery life anymore, but I'm not sure that's because of the batteries, I just have a very confused K-5.
07-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The days of third-party batteries may be numbered for Pentax, if a recent post on RH's blog is to be believed. New Pentax batteries may be chipped so that a Pentax camera may only work with authentic Pentax batteries, partly in order to comply with new Japanese electrical standards, apparently.

It probably won't take long for third party battery makers to reverse engineer the design though.

07-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The days of third-party batteries may be numbered for Pentax, if a recent post on RH's blog is to be believed. New Pentax batteries may be chipped so that a Pentax camera may only work with authentic Pentax batteries, partly in order to comply with new Japanese electrical standards, apparently.

It probably won't take long for third party battery makers to reverse engineer the design though.
Panasonic did that about 2 years ago and for a brief period you could not use any 3rd party batteries in their new cameras. Then a few appeared and we are now back to business as usual - most, but definitely not all, new 3rd party batteries for Panasonic cameras will work in their P&S line now.
07-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There are various reports on PFs about them but I will say this - for $5 each I thought it worth trying them to see and if they were worthless then small loss. I've used them in both the K-r and K-5 and had no problems.
And how did those batteries compare to the OEM or big name brand batteries in terms mAH and total number of recharges? They may not be such a bargain if the life is significantly less than more expensive batteries. Plus think of the environment impact if you're tossing out/recycling 1.n times the number of batteries you would vs OEM/name-brand.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

It's like the chips printer manufacturers put on their printer cartridges. I have 3rd party cartridges sitting in my printer and the status says "Genuine xxx" for each one.
07-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have 7 extra third-party batteries for my camera and they work exactly the same as the Penax battery. If you were to take the name off the batteries you wouldn't know the difference.

07-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the original Pentax battery and 4 third party ones. They all seem to work the same and charge the same and discharge the same.

Without running detailed tests, I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe they are a bit different but since I always carry several with me I haven't run into any problems yet.

I also generally use a cheap third party charger as well as the Pentax one. I don't like the idea of having only one charger, if that fails then I'm up the creek with a load of discharged batteries.
07-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My 3rd party (actually Konica Minolta ones) for my K20 were exactly the same as my Pentax batteries for my K20. The 3rd party batter I have for the K5 is another story. It loses its charge faster and I do not get as much out of it. It is relegated to an "emergency" backup and I have stuck with genuine Pentax since then.
07-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
And how did those batteries compare to the OEM or big name brand batteries in terms mAH and total number of recharges? They may not be such a bargain if the life is significantly less than more expensive batteries. Plus think of the environment impact if you're tossing out/recycling 1.n times the number of batteries you would vs OEM/name-brand.
First, how do you know that the OEM claims are going to hold up to actual field use by end-users? Second, mine are doing just fine in both my Panasonic P&S and my K-5. No differences to note after many cycles so far. The generic replacements were roughly 1/6th the cost of the OEMs and appear to be equivalent in all meaningful and measurable ways.
07-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

My third party ("Wasabi Power") batteries for my K-5 seem to hold significantly less charge than the original battery. It's especially noticeable when using lots of live view.
07-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

On the actual issue of 3rd party battery performance, it varies I've found.

I have about a dozen third party batteries from various cheapo manufacturers for various cameras and cams of mine (Pentax, Sony, JVC, Fujifilm). Most last at best 2/3 as long as the original batteries, several of the JVC battery clones have intermittent problems being accepted as genuine, and some of the Pentax and Sony battery clones only have about half the mass of the originals and only last about half as long, if that.
07-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax does not make batteries. They are branded 3rd party batteries. Sorry.

I've used a couple from Adorama. No noticeable difference.