Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Metz 58 AF-2, HSS and Controller

I will be buying the Metz 58 AF-2 to complement my Yongnuo manual flashes in the near future. One function of the Metz will be off-camera work outdoors using HSS.

From my readings, it appears that I can't use the pop-up flash as a controller for HSS. Is this correct? If it is, it appears I would need to pick up another flash to act as a controller. Any suggestions for a cheap flash that can act as a controller? I have enough flashes that the features and power rating of this controller flash don't really matter.

Are there any other alternatives to a controller flash?

07-22-2012, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
I will be buying the Metz 58 AF-2 to complement my Yongnuo manual flashes in the near future. One function of the Metz will be off-camera work outdoors using HSS.

From my readings, it appears that I can't use the pop-up flash as a controller for HSS. Is this correct? If it is, it appears I would need to pick up another flash to act as a controller. Any suggestions for a cheap flash that can act as a controller? I have enough flashes that the features and power rating of this controller flash don't really matter.

Are there any other alternatives to a controller flash?
Your readings are correct. Built in flash is only capable of 1/180s so no HSS for the off camera flash, regardless of what type it is.

I can confirm that the Pentax AF360 or the AF540 can be set as master(or control) and wirelessly trigger a Metz flash (set to SL "slave"mode) in HSS mode.
(Tested with my K-7 + AF540 on camera and Metz 50 remote.)

...but you can't set the Metz to controller mode on camera and trigger another off camera flash in P-TTL or in HSS. (Thats a whole other can o' worms).
07-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Your readings are correct. Built in flash is only capable of 1/180s so no HSS for the off camera flash, regardless of what type it is.

I can confirm that the Pentax AF360 or the AF540 can be set as master(or control) and wirelessly trigger a Metz flash (set to SL "slave"mode) in HSS mode.
(Tested with my K-7 + AF540 on camera and Metz 50 remote.)

...but you can't set the Metz to controller mode on camera and trigger another off camera flash in P-TTL or in HSS. (Thats a whole other can o' worms).
Thanks for the info. The AF540 is too expensive to use as just a master. I would go for the AF360, but the fact that it does not swivel means I can't point it away from the subject and use it just as a master. I don't know if that will have a big impact (I can always point it straight up) but there are hopefully cheaper master flashes.

Do you have any experience with the Sigma EF-610 DG Super?
07-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Af-360fgz

07-23-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. The AF540 is too expensive to use as just a master. I would go for the AF360, but the fact that it does not swivel means I can't point it away from the subject and use it just as a master. I don't know if that will have a big impact (I can always point it straight up) but there are hopefully cheaper master flashes.

Do you have any experience with the Sigma EF-610 DG Super?

No experience with the Sigma but heres the compatability page.

EF-610 DG Super

It seems to say that it can be used as a Master but only with 2 DG super units. I guess they are saying the slave unit would also have to be a DG super to function properly with P-TTL?
A bit confusing.

Surely it could trigger simple manual flashes in wireless (but maybe not not P-TTL or HSS)

edit: Pdf manual link found courtesy of mattdm' s handy site

Wireless - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

http://www2nd.sigma-photo.co.jp/downloads/manual/EF610DGSUPER_Manual_PA.pdf

Page 21 says that EF-610 DG super can be used on camera to trigger another EF-610 DG Super apart from the camera and it can do P-TTL and work in HSS.

It doesn't specifically say it could trigger other brands of P-TTL and HSS compatible units like your Metz 58-AF2.

Matts page linked above only mentions that the 2 Pentax flashes are able to (be master or control) and that the Metz can't (slave only)
07-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like the AF360 is my only option.
07-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Could I use a TTL cable to activate the HSS?

07-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Could I use a TTL cable to activate the HSS?
Yes of course, use a TTL cable like the Pentax 5PL and the hot shoe adaptors F or FG and the flash will behave exactly as if it is directly on the camera.

I bought a set of these for a 2 flash setup from a forum member recently and they work great. More reliable outdoors than wireless but a little more cumbersome of course.

Flash Accessories (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

There are third party alternatives but for full P-TTL functions you have to have the version with all the 5 wires. (4 pins and the shoe mounting/ground)
I longest one I know of is the 10 foot Pentax 5PL cable

most "Sync cables" only have the ground and the wire to trigger so not for TTL.
07-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are a fountain of knowledge Steve. Thanks a lot!

I would kiss that adorable seal face of yours but being Canadian, I would then have to club you to death.
07-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just to clarify, I would need a hotshoe adaptor F (or FG) to go one the hotshoe of the camera and a F5P cord to go to the flash? Do I need another hotshoe adaptor for the flash or can I plug the cord into the flash itself?
07-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Just to clarify, I would need a hotshoe adaptor F (or FG) to go one the hotshoe of the camera and a F5P cord to go to the flash? Do I need another hotshoe adaptor for the flash or can I plug the cord into the flash itself?
Yep that's right,

The hot shoe adapter FG goes on the camera of course and you can use the pop up flash with it fitted.

alternatively ...the hot shoe adapter F can go on the camera and it has another hot-shoe on top of it so you can stick another flash on top of it. The popup flash physically won't go up though.

The off camera adapter F has a 1/4" threaded hole underneath for mounting on tripod/stand and the hotshoe on the top for the remote flash.

This picture of the 3 different adaptors on camera FG, on camera F and the off camera F (left to right)
the picture is from forum member "SoldBear" who knows lots about everything.

The Pentax AF540 flash has a socket on the side so the 5 pin cable goes directly in and you don't need the off camera adapter F.
I dont know of any other flash that has this socket. The smaller AF360 doesn't & neither does my Metz 50 (I dont think any 3rd party flashes do)