Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-AC128 AC Adapter Kit

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Can anyone suggest where to buy the Pentax K-AC128 AC Adapter Kit online? This is the adaptor kit suggested for the K 30. Thanks.

08-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It doesn't look like it's available yet, unfortunately. I'll keep an eye out for it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Make your own? All you would need is the AA battery adapter (cheap ones from Hong Kong work fine), and a regulated 6vdc power supply. You can find these at Radio Shack or other places. Solder the power supply to the last positive and negative battery posts before the pads that pass power to the camera.
08-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It doesn't look like it's available yet, unfortunately. I'll keep an eye out for it!
Is there any reason why the one for the K-r (K-AC109) wouldn't work with the K-30 ?

The battery compartment and connectors are the same. Are the voltages different ?

08-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Is there any reason why the one for the K-r (K-AC109) wouldn't work with the K-30 ?

The battery compartment and connectors are the same. Are the voltages different ?
Voltage should be the same - between 4.8 <> 7.2 - the same as the supported battery types. It is possible the newer power adapter is capable of a higher sustained amperage. This would be in keeping with greater use of Live View and video. If any readers have one of the two official AC adapters, would you look carefully at the output specifications and post here?
08-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax K-AC128 AC Adapter Kit for K-30 Digital Camera 38823

$99.95
Free Shipping
08-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Seems a bit excessive unless that AC adapter is weather-sealed But we are talking about AC power here so fat chance.

08-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AA battery adapter US $3.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AA-Batteries-Holder-Adapter-Bracket-for-PENTAX-K-R-KR-Camera-easy-using-with-AA-/150774624287?pt=US_Camera_Battery_Grips&hash=item231ade301f
plus
6vdc 1500ma regulated supply approximately US$18 with shipping
http://www.powerstream.com/ac-0615.htm
plus
maybe (?) some extra wire for a longer cord, two drops of solder - - - US$0.02 <> US$3

Total cost to make your own .... less than US$25

Yeah, $99.95 seems a little excessive.
01-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Forum Member

I hope I'm not doing a forum "no-no" by bringing this thread back up. I was thinking about looking to see what the AC adapter, and the AA-clip went for, since having just one battery is not cutting it. Takes way too long to charge the one battery. I have an AA charger and some good rechargeable cells that work fine, may as well put them to good use.

I just looked at B&H's site for the AC Adapter, and saw they wanted $108 for it, in stock, and Adorama wants $100, but not in stock, and the official Pentax 4-AA battery clip is $30!

(insert "Bill the Cat" going "ACK!" here)

Just ordered two AA clips from eBay for $13 total. One to use for rechargeables, one to make an AC adapter from. I will find the power supply next.

Many, many, many thanks.

I'd be willin' to bet the "official" AA clip looks just exactly like the $5 one from eBay.

Now, if somebody would just make a longer-lasting "stock" battery replacement...
01-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beebs Quote
I hope I'm not doing a forum "no-no" by bringing this thread back up. I was thinking about looking to see what the AC adapter, and the AA-clip went for, since having just one battery is not cutting it. Takes way too long to charge the one battery. I have an AA charger and some good rechargeable cells that work fine, may as well put them to good use.

I just looked at B&H's site for the AC Adapter, and saw they wanted $108 for it, in stock, and Adorama wants $100, but not in stock, and the official Pentax 4-AA battery clip is $30!

Just ordered two AA clips from eBay for $13 total. One to use for rechargeables, one to make an AC adapter from. I will find the power supply next.

Many, many, many thanks.

I'd be willin' to bet the "official" AA clip looks just exactly like the $5 one from eBay.

Now, if somebody would just make a longer-lasting "stock" battery replacement...
Those clips are the same ones that were designed for the K-r 2 years ago. I had one of the eBay ones and it was great. My bet, looking at the pictures of the OEM and the no-name ones, is that they are made on the same production line in China.
01-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Voltage should be the same - between 4.8 <> 7.2 - the same as the supported battery types. It is possible the newer power adapter is capable of a higher sustained amperage. This would be in keeping with greater use of Live View and video. If any readers have one of the two official AC adapters, would you look carefully at the output specifications and post here?
I had an idea on the power end of this rig and I thought I would see what you thought. I found a DC power supply on line (link below) that seems to fit the bill. I could rig the rest as you indicated in the article. My K-500 runs on 3 AAs or a Li-Ion 7.4v, which actually puts out 8.4 when fully charged.

[url]http://www.batteryspace.com/ac-dcadaptor110-240acto3v-84vdcformostofcamerapdapspetc.aspx[/url
05-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by beebs Quote

Many, many, many thanks.

I can make a useful comment here; I have a Pentax KR and three AA battery adapters for it; two are the cheap ones from an eBay supplier and one is a real Pentax one that I was given by someone who dropped his KR and broke it. So I can make a direct comparison. The official Pentax one does indeed look almost identical, but it does feel more rigid and is slightly heavier; I think it's made from a harder grade of plastic and the metal contacts also seem a little thicker. However you do have to look closely to see the difference so in normal use I have found no problems with the cheap ones. I do think the eBay ones would be fine for most people who aren't clumsy or careless.

Last edited by Fire Angel; 05-08-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: accuracy