Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax Magnifying Eyepiece O-ME53 - Opinions?

I have a number of older pentax lenses and I'm trying to find some ways to improve my focusing. Of course there are the manual focusing screens, but I was wondering if this eyepiece would be a worthwhile addition... thanks in advance!

01-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #2

I have one on my K10D, and I love it! I bought it with the hope that it would improve manual focusing, and, while it helps a little for me, it doesn't help with the basic problem caused by the microlens design of the K10D focusing screen (the screen is optimized for slow lenses, and actually makes fast lenses harder to focus). I've come to the conclusion I need to go with a Katz Eye screen for real manual focus ease and accuracy - just need to fit it into the budget!

Curt
01-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MNCurt-K10D Quote
it doesn't help with the basic problem caused by the microlens design of the K10D focusing screen (the screen is optimized for slow lenses, and actually makes fast lenses harder to focus).
Really? Do you have a source for this? I'm not saying I don't believe you; just that I didn't know the focussing screen could have such positive or negative effect on the AF.

Does this mean that the Katz Eye screens are somehow "better" for fast lenses?
01-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #4

Focusing screen has no effect on AF (the AF sensor assembly is below the mirror). I was talking about Manual Focus, where you are trying to judge sharp focus by looking at the screen. Of course you still have the green 'focus confirmation' indication in the viewfinder (and beep if you so choose) when focusing manually, but sometimes it seems to me the focus confirmation comes on over a fairly large range. The shallow depth of field of a fast lens confounds getting the sharpest point where you want it. In any event, the split image focusing aide found on the Katz Eye screen (and others) helps the eye determine the focus point, independent of whatever the AF sensor module suggests.

Curt

01-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

i have an O-ME53 on my DS and love it also. i also wear glasses and have no difficulty using it.
01-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #6

I've had the loupe for a week and it won't come off the camera till I buy a new one. I do have to look to see the information in the viewfinder but I don't have to move the camera. It does help with manual focusing but I don't manual focus often because my eyes are lousy.
01-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I was able to get a Pentax 2x FB eyepiece from my local photography store. I think they discontinued this item, but it is perfect. The eyepiece flips up so you can use the full screen, and when you wish to do some critical focusing, you can swing the magnifier down into position.

Pentax | Magnifier FB | 30990 | B&H Photo Video

Don't know how it compared to the O-ME53 though.

02-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
I was able to get a Pentax 2x FB eyepiece from my local photography store. I think they discontinued this item, but it is perfect. The eyepiece flips up so you can use the full screen, and when you wish to do some critical focusing, you can swing the magnifier down into position.

Pentax | Magnifier FB | 30990 | B&H Photo Video

Don't know how it compared to the O-ME53 though.
That looks fricken awesome!!

I have the O-ME53, and oddly enough, I dismantled it last night to take the magnifying lens out of it. I found it hard to get my compositions right because I could not see the edges of the viewfinder, maybe its because I wear glasses, I don't know but I do like the reach that it gives to my eyes from the camera body, so last night I decided that the magnification has to go. I am sure that I will miss it when I go and shoot some macros, but for now, it had to go. Maybe I will just buy another one for macro photography. But that 2x FB looks fricken great!
02-06-2008, 04:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
I was able to get a Pentax 2x FB eyepiece
I had one of them on the film cameras but since it wouldn't fit the istD I let it go. It was a PENTAX and beautifully made and had its own focusing adjustment.
02-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks everyone for the input... sounds like a katzeye or equivalent would be the best way to go for assisting manual focus.