Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Intervalometer for K-x

Hi all,

I have made my self a cheap IR intervalometer however it won't send a second "pulse" to the camera to close it's shutter, once the exposure time is finished. It only sends one to open. Because of this, the longest exposure I can do is 30s (set on camera).

I am after the most cost effective solution to allow exposures over 30 seconds - what are my options?

Here is my Astrobin page if anyone is interested, I should be able to get much better images once I can expose over 30 seconds. All of shots were taken with standard lenses also (except the Moon shot).

AstroBin - maxwolfie's gallery

08-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Get two of them, one to close and one to open the shutter?
08-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Take a look here;

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/131633-absurdly-si...p3-player.html
08-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Get two of them, one to close and one to open the shutter?
I did think about that, but I think it might be a bit fiddly. Sounds simple, but I bet it's not (trying to get them exactly in synch every time).

That's a great idea but I'd need many wave files to have many different exposure lengths, again probably a bit fiddly.

08-19-2012, 04:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwolfie Quote
That's a great idea but I'd need many wave files to have many different exposure lengths, again probably a bit fiddly.
Might be fiddly, but provide the most accurate and easily reproducible timings you could want.

And will cost you a couple dollars.
08-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Have you tried the 'gentLED-AUTO IR triggering for intervalometer and time-lapse':
Gentles Limited: gentLED-AUTO

You could also look into tethering tools like PKTether....
PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras

or PKTriggercord...
pkTriggerCord
08-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #7

A while ago, I, too, built myself an IR trigger/intervalometer. Never thought of trying to make it work in bulb mode though.
The single shutter code I used is 13 ms on, 3 ms off, then 8 1ms on/off pulses. What is the B mode code? Keep the 1ms pulses going?
08-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
The DSLR.Bot iPhone app with a homemade IR cable is probably the answer to my problems, I think... Too bad for anyone that tries to ring me while I'm imaging though, I probably won't hear it