Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Mobile Eye-fi setup

I read about a mobile setup on the Phoblographer a month ago and thought it'd be an interesting setup. So I pulled the trigger and purchased an Eye-Fi Pro X2 off Amazon for $70 bucks. If you're just transferring JPGS, just get the Mobile X2 and save yourself $30.

The setup wasn't very intuitive and the UI isn't appealing either –but I'm not going to get into that. I downloaded both iPad and iPhone versions. For the sake of this post, I'll describe my process on the iPad. Note that you can only transfer to one device at a time.

Process:
1. I setup the Eye-fi to transfer using the direct mode to my iPad.
2. I chose to transfer selective images to save transfer time. You need to protect each image in the camera to enable transfer.
3. After the images have transferred to my iPad, I use Snapseed for iPad for quick post processing.
4. After PP, I upload the final image to my Flickr account. (Eye-fi also gives you can option to also upload all photos to Flickr/Picasa/FTP directly)
5. If I'm connected to Wifi, a copy of the image will also backup to my desktop.
6. A nice and final touch, I enable iCloud's Photosteam as a secondary backup.

So far, this setup tested pretty well. But I haven't had to transfer an entire day of shooting yet. I'll update as that comes up.

08-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've got my eye-fi card (same one) in my Olympus E-m5 - that camera is eye-fi enabled, if it has an eye-fi card it automatically powers it and has a little icon that flashes when connecting and uploading, it is pretty nice to have. I use the direct to picasa option, have it so that is creates a new private folder monthly and then I can move photos later to public folders for viewing.
08-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
That little icon must be nice to have. It's a shame that I have to keep guessing if it'll connect to my iPad or not. I usually have to reload the app once or twice to get it to transfer.
08-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah it is, it blinks while trying to find the device and then goes solid with a series of signal bars scaling in succession to show it is uploading. When done I assume it turns off the power to the card, a lot better than the general solution of setting your camera to stay on for an inordinate amount of time! I find my phone will reliably connect as soon as I start the app up too.

08-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Be aware that the eye-fi sucks batteries...I barely make it through a session w/ it in use so spare batteries are a good idea... :-)
08-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I noticed that as well. I changed the auto shut off settings to 3 minutes. If it were on auto transfer, I would probably set it to 10. Good thing I bought 2x Neewer Li-Ion batteries for $10 off Amazon –so far they've performed well.

I also suggest getting a grip if you plan on using this setup for a shoot. Either the DBG-4 or the knock offs.
08-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnnie518 Quote
I read about a mobile setup on the Phoblographer a month ago and thought it'd be an interesting setup. So I pulled the trigger and purchased an Eye-Fi Pro X2 off Amazon for $70 bucks. If you're just transferring JPGS, just get the Mobile X2 and save yourself $30.

The setup wasn't very intuitive and the UI isn't appealing either –but I'm not going to get into that. I downloaded both iPad and iPhone versions. For the sake of this post, I'll describe my process on the iPad. Note that you can only transfer to one device at a time.

Process:
1. I setup the Eye-fi to transfer using the direct mode to my iPad.
2. I chose to transfer selective images to save transfer time. You need to protect each image in the camera to enable transfer.
3. After the images have transferred to my iPad, I use Snapseed for iPad for quick post processing.
4. After PP, I upload the final image to my Flickr account. (Eye-fi also gives you can option to also upload all photos to Flickr/Picasa/FTP directly)
5. If I'm connected to Wifi, a copy of the image will also backup to my desktop.
6. A nice and final touch, I enable iCloud's Photosteam as a secondary backup.

So far, this setup tested pretty well. But I haven't had to transfer an entire day of shooting yet. I'll update as that comes up.
I got a very similar setup as yours... The only thing I don't do is send the photos to my macbookpro. I only transfer between the ipad and the camera. Then I let iCloud Photostream transfer to my iphone & mbp. I do all my editing on my ipad so the mpb is only used for photo management.

Are you shooting raw? or JPEG? I tested pef & dng files and only dng files are viewable when transferred wirelessly. If i use the camera connector then I can import both raw types. Eye-Fi support states its a limitation in iOS.

Anyhoo... I am digging the all wireless syncing... I am sure its frying a few brain cells but hey... what can you do!
09-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Update to my last post...

After doing some tests... It looks like the reasons that pef files do not work with eye-fi transferred to the ipad is the destination on where it is going. Eye-Fi places all imported files in the Camera Roll. pef is not a valid file type for the Camera Roll. DNG, JPG & TIFF work fine. If Eye-Fi would have access to import to a new album (as how the camera connection kit does) then there would be no problem importing pef.

The reason I decided to dig deeper into why pef files don't work is cause I use a few apps process my RAWs. Filterstorm (STD & Pro) but it is unable to keep exif data on conversion to JPG. Photoraw is great little app and does work well, but it saves jpg files @ 72 dpi where as Filterstorm saves it @ 300dpi like the Jpg from the camera. I also have RawConverter2. This is a very simple to use choose your settings the choose your files and save as Tiff, PNG & JPG... Only problem this app does not like dng files.. This was my go to app for quick conversions with defaults... I have requested enhancements to Photoraw to have the options to save to Tiff and jpg (300dpi)...300dpi is essential to me for large prints.

One other thing I am noticing is that filenames of the images being saved to the camera-roll. I set to have a custom image file name for all my images shot on my K-5. normally if import with the camera connector, the file names stay as the way they were written. With the eye-fi and the fact that it is being saved in the Camera Roll my custom name changes to the std img_ filename. Why is this important? In aperture on my Mac, I have smart albums based on certain criteria. My smart album for al original images from the camera was set to that custom filename. I have since fixed this by finding another attribute in the exif data that differs from the original file and an edited version.

Anyhow... this is more for information if someone else is scratching there head on this.

Thanks!