Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #1

Circular Polarizer Help?

Hello Pentaxians,

I'd like to ask for your opinion about buying a CPL.

My lens setup is as follows: (focal length | filter diameter)
Pentax 28mm | 49mm
Pentax 43mm | 49mm
Pentax 50mm | 49mm
Pentax 55mm | 52mm
Pentax 100mm | 49mm
Pentax 18-135mm | 62mm
Sigma 10-20 | 77mm
My question is, would it best if I bought a 77mm CPL and use step-up/down rings to use this CPL for my other lenses with 49-52-62mm diameter lenses?

Is there a disadvantage to use a 77mm CPL with a 49mm diameter lens?

Or would you suggest buying one 77mm CPL to use with my 62mm and 77mm diameter lenses, and buy another 52mm CPL and use it with the rest?

Or perhaps other suggestions?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
mehmet

08-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've gone down the 77mm + rings route. Disadvantage - can't use lens hoods unless you have a 77mm one.
08-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The other disadvantage is that the step-down rings are usually less well made, I know there are exceptions, and can add another layer of potential binding that can make you crazy if you're trying to swap out a filter onto another lens in the field. Search here for people asking for help getting a filter either off a lens or off a adapter ring because they are bound together - there are quite a few. I have a 77mm that is stuck on a 62mm step down ring right now that I haven't spent the time unsticking. It happened this past weekend and it was very frustrating to try to deal with it, and fail, in the field. I ordered a 62mm Marumi CPL last night.

If it were me, I'd probably go with a 49mm (covers 4 of your lenses and NO adapter needed) and a 77mm with several adapters in my kit (covers the other 3 lenses).
08-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks JohnX and Docrwm for your information.

@Docrwm The binding might be an issue, thanks for pointing that out. I'll look for it now.

08-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by membus Quote
Thanks JohnX and Docrwm for your information.

@Docrwm The binding might be an issue, thanks for pointing that out. I'll look for it now.
You are welcome. I have been told that a small amount of soap on the threads can help prevent binding, never tried it but may in the future. Still, when you need a piece of equipment it is frustrating for it to not work.
08-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You are welcome. I have been told that a small amount of soap on the threads can help prevent binding, never tried it but may in the future. Still, when you need a piece of equipment it is frustrating for it to not work.
Thanks for the tip as well, might come in handy.