Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maintenance of lens brushes

Weird question, but here goes: How do you maintain your lens brushes?

I've got a Nikon lens pen that I like a lot with a retractible lens brush on one end. The problem is that the brush has picked up something that its smearing on the filters I thought about cutting the tips of the bristles off and thereby eliminating the contamination to the brush. The brush extends well out from the body of the pen so I could do so and still have a useful length on the bristles.

Anyone already done that to a brush that they use, any problems as a result?

Thanks.

09-01-2012, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I found the isopropyl alcohol cleans make-up out of brushes - also works on rocket blowers that have gold fish water in them........
09-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
I found the isopropyl alcohol cleans make-up out of brushes - also works on rocket blowers that have gold fish water in them........
I don't need to ask how that happened - my imagination is painting a pretty good image.
09-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They sell makeup brush cleaner at most drug stores. It's gentle on the brushes and gets just about anything off them. I use that to clean my lens and good art brushes all the time.

09-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Thanks.....gold fish water....hmmmm......
09-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
They sell makeup brush cleaner at most drug stores. It's gentle on the brushes and gets just about anything off them. I use that to clean my lens and good art brushes all the time.
Perhaps my wife already has some? Thanks.
09-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
@ ak_kiwi ok, I have to know now .....
why did the goldfish 'make water' in your Rocket blower...??

Maybe you have to be nicer to your fish...
09-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Weird question, but here goes: How do you maintain your lens brushes?

I've got a Nikon lens pen that I like a lot with a retractible lens brush on one end. The problem is that the brush has picked up something that its smearing on the filters I thought about cutting the tips of the bristles off and thereby eliminating the contamination to the brush. The brush extends well out from the body of the pen so I could do so and still have a useful length on the bristles.

Anyone already done that to a brush that they use, any problems as a result?

Thanks.
you have either touched the brush or it has possibly picked up a little oil off the lens mechanical parts at the rear of the lens.

I generally throw things out and start over when this happens, but you can try cleaning it.

I would suggest starting with soap and water (soap will cut the oil) or using an eye glasses cleaning solution first, and then alcohol after.

alcohol on its own is not great against oil

09-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you have either touched the brush or it has possibly picked up a little oil off the lens mechanical parts at the rear of the lens.

I generally throw things out and start over when this happens, but you can try cleaning it.

I would suggest starting with soap and water (soap will cut the oil) or using an eye glasses cleaning solution first, and then alcohol after.

alcohol on its own is not great against oil
Thanks. I agree about throwing them out but I actually like this one and haven't found another with the same quality bristles.
09-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote

I have to admit, I'd just rotate dirty brushes out of lens duty, buy new optical ones, and use *those* for makeup. I think there's a good reason those rocket blowers have been in fashion, though, those lens brushes really do soon end up doing more harm than good. Save em for something else.
09-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I have to admit, I'd just rotate dirty brushes out of lens duty, buy new optical ones, and use *those* for makeup. I think there's a good reason those rocket blowers have been in fashion, though, those lens brushes really do soon end up doing more harm than good. Save em for something else.
I went ahead and ordered a new one from LensPen. I hope its as nice as the one I had, some of them are just junk.