Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Metz Mecablitz 58-af2 - Works With K-30?

Quick question, can anybody confirm that the Metz Mecablitz 58-af2 works with the K-30? I looked at the Metz website to check, but couldn't find anything definitive. The firmware history says there was an update released 07.27.2012, but the notes say "Now also for Pentax K-01," so I'm thinking they're a little behind.

Has anyone tried using the 58-af2 with a K-30?

Thanks!

09-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It might not work with P-TTL, but manual mode will work until they update the firmware to support the K-30.
09-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I can confirm that the 58 AF2 does work with the K-30. I've been using them as a pair for just over a month now and I've had no issues at all. I should note though that I've been using it in manual mode. PTTL mode is selectable but I can't confirm it works as intended.
09-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
It might not work with P-TTL, but manual mode will work until they update the firmware to support the K-30.
Not to mention "A" mode will work with any camera.

09-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ahw Quote
Quick question, can anybody confirm that the Metz Mecablitz 58-af2 works with the K-30? I looked at the Metz website to check, but couldn't find anything definitive. The firmware history says there was an update released 07.27.2012, but the notes say "Now also for Pentax K-01," so I'm thinking they're a little behind. Has anyone tried using the 58-af2 with a K-30?
It should. I've tested my Metz on a shiny blue K-30 (the only one in stock, bummer...), works on all modes.
09-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Is there a reason why anybody would doubt a P-TTL-flash would work with a P-TTL-capable camera? I can't see one, as the K30 didn't introduce any new flash functions and thus is using the more or less proven P-TTL, which has been around for a long time now.

Ben
09-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Is there a reason why anybody would doubt a P-TTL-flash would work with a P-TTL-capable camera? I can't see one, as the K30 didn't introduce any new flash functions and thus is using the more or less proven P-TTL, which has been around for a long time now.

Ben
Metz, Sigma, etc never licensed PTTL and have reverse engineered it. Occasionally, when a new model comes out, they have to tweak it. For instance, Metz released firmware updates for the K-r and K-5 for Metz 58. My Metz 54 with SCA-3702m2 supports PTTL on the K20d but not the K-7 and K-5. Those require the SCA-3702m3. Unless your flash is from Pentax, there may be an incompatibility with new bodies. That's why I recommend Metz since they have software upgrades you can do from your PC.

09-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
Metz, Sigma, etc never licensed PTTL and have reverse engineered it. Occasionally, when a new model comes out, they have to tweak it. For instance, Metz released firmware updates for the K-r and K-5 for Metz 58. My Metz 54 with SCA-3702m2 supports PTTL on the K20d but not the K-7 and K-5. Those require the SCA-3702m3. Unless your flash is from Pentax, there may be an incompatibility with new bodies. That's why I recommend Metz since they have software upgrades you can do from your PC.
Greg, thanks for the insight. I did not even realize, Pentax made changes to their P-TTL system over the last modells. As far as I know, these are not documented. But now I know, I do understand, why my 54MZ-4 got unreliable, when used on the K-r, as I still have the SCA-3702M2 adapter... I just have to order the newer SCA-adapter right away...

I have been using Metz flashes since I started photography and mostly use them either manual or in Auto-mode, as this gives more consistency, than P-TTL. But with the older adapter the flash gun doesn't wake-up from standby, when I press the shutter release button on the K-r.

Ben
09-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Greg, thanks for the insight. I did not even realize, Pentax made changes to their P-TTL system over the last modells. As far as I know, these are not documented. But now I know, I do understand, why my 54MZ-4 got unreliable, when used on the K-r, as I still have the SCA-3702M2 adapter... I just have to order the newer SCA-adapter right away...

I have been using Metz flashes since I started photography and mostly use them either manual or in Auto-mode, as this gives more consistency, than P-TTL. But with the older adapter the flash gun doesn't wake-up from standby, when I press the shutter release button on the K-r.

Ben
Ben, FYI, Metz will do a software update to the 3702M2 to the M3.1 (or is it 3.2?) version for free. You just need to pay shipping. Contact them.
09-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
Ben, FYI, Metz will do a software update to the 3702M2 to the M3.1 (or is it 3.2?) version for free. You just need to pay shipping. Contact them.
Thanks a lot, Greg. I already sent and email to them and will see, how they'll deal with an upgrade. Usually the Metz people are very helpful.

Ben
10-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

There are some issue with the 58 AF-2 and the K-30.

The first issue I noticed is the HSS mode - it does not work at all - the flash does make some light but none of it actually illuminates the photo (probably it lights at the wrong time).

I had initially thought this was the only issue as I used P-TTL and wireless succesfully, and even second curtain sync worked quite OK (though not entirely).

However after further use I am finding that it very often underexposes by up to three stops in P-TTL mode. It seems to happen mostly when needing the higher end of power. However I cannot find any pattern to it. I tried adding two ev+ on the flash and got good exposure but then I end up with other photos being over exposed. In other words the error is not consistent and cannot be corrected by setting a fixed exposure compensation.

Just to make sure the flash had not become faulty I shot the exact same pictures with my K-r and got good results each time.

The only reliable way to use it is to use it as a generic (non dedicated) flash using either manual or auto (with the sensor on the flash). Like that it works fine but then so would any other generic flash unit.

I have emailed Metz about this and they replied that they are aware of the issue and a firmware update will be needed to make it work properly with the K-30 but couldn't give me a date as to when they would actually issue an update.

So it seems I'll have to stick to the K-r for flash photography for now. I hope it doesn't take them too long to issue the new firmware.
10-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The newer Metz flashes are USB-upgradeable. Make sure you have the latest firmware for your model. Firmware Download Flash Units: Metz
10-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
The newer Metz flashes are USB-upgradeable. Make sure you have the latest firmware for your model. Firmware Download Flash Units: Metz
I did upgrade it from 2.0 to 3.0, which is the latest version currently available but it didn't help. Metz did also confirm that there is not yet a firmware version available that is fully compatible with the K-30 so we just have to wait and hope the wait is not too long.
10-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wrote to Metz about this. They are aware of some shortcomings and are working on a firmware update. A date could not be promised but expect it to land around fall.