Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

light scoop

My cousin who owns a Canon (>.<) recently bought a "new toy" as we like to put in my family. However this toy isn't just solely for canon cameras, supposedly it works with the k10d It's called the Light scoop and supposedly it's suppose to work like a bounce flash and its for those who don't have the money to shell out for an external flash. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about it? And if so, is it good things or bad things. If you haven't heard anything about it, would you recommend it? I'm just curious.

This is the link for the site: light scoop digital photography lighting built-in flash Nikon Fuji Canon Pentax

02-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
given the relitively low power of built in flash, GN~16m at ISO 100,and for a modern kit lens in the F5.6 range and an ISO setting of 100 the flash has an effective distance of 2.8 meters (9 feet)

bouncing it would add 50 % probably the distance assuming 45 degree angle, and reduce the light intensity by scattering it.

Unless you bump the ISO to 400 forget it. At ISO 400 your F5.6 lens and the built in flash can cover 5.7 meters (about 18 feet) even then a bounce would only work in close quarters.
02-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #3

If you have a normal flash instead of the microflash that is built-in to the camera itself, save yourself the money, go to any hobby store, or Wal-Mart for that matter and buy a few pieces of white foam paper. Then use this design to make your own reflector. With a little velcro, it works ten times as good as that thing you showed.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf flashreflector.pdf (19.8 KB, 421 views)
02-02-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks for help guys.

I have a another question though, what do you mean by a normal flash? Sorry if it sounds dumb >.<

02-03-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
deaner is referring to a flash that you would attach to the hotshoe (the mounting rail on top of your camera) to provide more powerful lighting, a tilt or swivel head, or other features that your camera's built in flash doesn't have.

You have likely already seen pictures of it elsewhere (and there are lots of other options out there in the way of on and off camera lighting), but here is a link to the Pentax product page for the AF360 flash:

Pentax Imaging: AF360FGZ - Flashes - Cameras by Pentax

(hopefully that works)

This strobist link has a video that shows a slightly different version of the diffuser that deaner linked to instructions for building. I've seen lots of different shapes used depending on what people are trying to accomplish with their flash, I have a large quadralateral on my flash right now set up for wide angle coverage and I change the shape depending on the subject I'm shooting.

Strobist: Another Crafty Bouncy Thing

and another version:

ABetterBounceCard.com