Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #1

M42 to kmount adapter, Which one to get?

Hey all I've been a fan of this forum for a while and bought a couple of new lenses going on the data base reviews, which have been very handy. Im currently using a k100d and would like to utilize my old collection of pentax lenses. I bought an ebay adapter but realised that I can't focus to infinity.
I need an adapter that sits the lens flush against the mount
So my question is... Which adapter is the one to get?

Cheers, Druitt

02-01-2008, 08:15 AM   #2

The genuine Pentax adapter doesn't have issues other than its more expensive than the others. I have it and its really easy to work with.
02-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, definitely the genuine Pentax one. PM sent btw...
02-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Everyone says the Pentax adapter is the best, and I don't doubt it. But I have been using a Bower adapter without problems. I just keep an eye on the clip that can loosen up and jam in your camera. That would not be good!

02-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all for your input, Im sold on the pentax one
02-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by druitt Quote
Hey all I've been a fan of this forum for a while and bought a couple of new lenses going on the data base reviews, which have been very handy. Im currently using a k100d and would like to utilize my old collection of pentax lenses. I bought an ebay adapter but realised that I can't focus to infinity.
I need an adapter that sits the lens flush against the mount
So my question is... Which adapter is the one to get?

Cheers, Druitt
Part#30120 Lens Mount Adapter K. No problems.
Pentax Canada price (probably not what you want) 22.00CAD plus 10.00CAD (in Canada) shipping
in Dec. 2007. Use a straightened paper clip to move spring when removing the adapter.
02-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #7

I bought the "general" adapter aka Bower from B&H and absolutely hate it. Putting it on is no problem, but getting it off takes me 3 or 4 tries with the removal tool/key. It looks identical to the original Pentax adapter. My problem is the hassel going from KA mount lenses to M42 and having the camera open to dust outside for 45 to 60 seconds while I get the adapter off the camera.

I also have a couple of the adapters with the flange and they do prevent infinity focus. I actually prefer these as mounting and removing M42 lenses is just like working with a K mount lens.

03-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #8

I also bought a generic M-42 to K adaptor (the one that looks just like the genuine Pentax one and not the one with the flange which prevents infinity focus) and, because I have only one M-42 lens (SMC Takumar 50mm-f1.4) I have chosen to do the following. Firstly, remove the tiny screw and the spring clip. Second, screw the adaptor on to the lens really tight (I used a rear K mount lens cap as a crude wrench). Third (and this is the "fun" part), bayonet it on to the camera being careful not to rotate it too far and note the position of the body lock pin in reference to the lens (on my lens the pin is still visible with the lens in place) and mark the lens. I then made a small indentation in the lens flange with a Dremel tool and a small burr (after carefully covering up both ends of the lens and all the joints with plastic wrap and masking tape to prevent the entry of chips). Once this is done the lens mounts and unmounts just like a genuine K mount lens and locks in place so it will not come loose until you want it to. Disclaimer- If you are not comfortable with tools or have five swollen thumbs on each hand don't do this-but it worked for me.
11-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Today I got a problem with the original pentax adapter.
Was using on a lunch time with a paragon 500mm f8 on k200d, and when tried to unscrew not only the lens (lens got stuck with adapter as it seems) but also the adapter got out from camera.
Now when I tried to use the adapter it just doesn't lock on the camera. Seems it work like I add removed the lock pin / spring clip from the adapter.
Any ideas ?
(Have to see how I will unscrew the adapter from the lens...)