Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
Try the Kinesis Journeyman with whatever inserts you desire. Durable, flexible configuration and all of the options you could ever want. kgear.com
By my standards, this bag is pricey by the time you add the extras to make it a complete tool. Still, if it the perfect tool for you, then price is secondary.

Also, this may not make a difference to some, but it does to me ... an equipment bag "Sized as a U.S. airline maximum carry-on piece of luggage" is too big to carry on board regional sized planes (example: CRJ). I frequently find myself on such aircraft. While you don't have to check such full-size bags through to your destination, you do have to surrender such bags for "plane-side" or "valet" checking. And they are then placed in the baggage compartment the same as regular checked bags for the duration of that flight. Your bags are handled by the same people in the same manner as you didn't want to have happen to your delicate gear. Or, even on full-sized aircraft, if the cabin storage space fills before all passengers are on board the remaining bags that cannot fit under the seat in front of you must likewise be "plane-side" checked.

For this reason I won't buy an equipment bag bigger than what fully fits under an airline seat.

09-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Couple of good points there, Jim... I never fly, though. (Too expensive, and a PITA.) and yeah, $160-ish is steep for me. It's a piece of cake getting a great, roomy camera bag if you have unlimited funds. But, I don't... So I'm looking for something in the under $70 range. I'll probably just keep an eye out for a used one on eBay, etc.

If I could find a used f.64 large backpack, that'd be ideal. I have one & it's a great backpack. It's huge inside & durable.
09-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Couple of good points there, Jim... I never fly, though. If I could find a used f.64 large backpack, that'd be ideal. I have one & it's a great backpack. It's huge inside & durable.
There is one more aspect of flying ... you are only allowed one personal carry on in addition to one carry on luggage bag. It means both my laptop and camera gear have to fit in one bag, at least during the flight. I checked out f.64. While it looks like they have some nice products, they don't offer a single bag that accomdates both and would fit under an airline seat.

I recently purchased a Tamrac Zuma 5 combo PC/camera shoulder bag. It would meet my requirements much better if Tamrac had given me an additional half-inch in the main bag and another half-inch in the accessory pouch. As it is, when I add my notebook and AC adapter, the zippers are just a bit too tight for my taste. But its the best setup I've found so far. Once my luggage is no longer be in the clutches of baggage handlers, I move my notebook there. For use in the field, I've added a better shoulder strap (from my older Tamrac bag) and a waist belt to redistribute weight and keep the bag from flopping around. All my camera gear is at hand. And I can additionally wear a generic day pack for a jacket, snacks, water, etc.

I'm still looking for that "perfect" bag.
09-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want seriously durable, and "just roomy enough" the (older) Kata GDC series backpacks cannot be beat! Plus, they've been discontinued and replaced by the "Bug" series, so you can score them (new) for 1/4 of their original MSRP on the 'Bay from Adorama:

Kata R-101 (might be a tight fit for 2 bodies and that many lenses), for $50 new!

Kata R-104 (bigger, deeper, has a 17" laptop slot, tripod holder, a waist belt and 2 removable (but unpadded) side pouches), all for $130!

I have an R-102 (from 2004) and an R-104 (from 2011). A little heavier than the current Kata models, but offer much more protection for your gear! And Jim, they will both fit under the seat of a puddle-jumper plane (Bombardier Q-400), but only the R-101 will fit in the overheads.

BTW, this site lists the R-101 as a "Backpack with 1-2 bodies and 3 or more lenses" but no mention of whether those are 70-200/2.8's or what! However, I can fit my Sigma 150-500mm mounted to the K-5 into my R-102 with room for maybe 2 or 3 smaller lenses...

Last edited by panoguy; 09-13-2012 at 08:06 AM.
09-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I have one for sale in the marketplace.
09-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #21

Cheap and cheerful/Amazon basics

I went with an Amazon Basics Backpack:

AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

I've wanted a backpack style camera bag for a long time but couldn't decide on which one to get. The attractive thing about this bag is the price and I would say the construction is adequate but not overbuilt. It suits my needs for now....

Allyn
09-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Can't go wrong for the price of the Amazon.

For any other people who happen upon this thread, I would say that for quality Think Tank stands out. Excellently-made, and they put my Tumi and Hartmann luggage to shame.

For convenience I like the Kata bags that swing round to the front and have side access.
09-17-2012, 04:37 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As luck would have it, I found one of these for $50 on Craigslist. I have the one that's a size smaller than this one & I love it. Since it's a little big for my wife, I'll give her mine, take this one, and voila, problem solved.

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
For any other people who happen upon this thread, I would say that for quality Think Tank stands out.
My wife has a Think Tank expandable DSLR holster case that's mighty cool. They make good stuff, for sure.

09-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I'm glad you found a bag. I think you were smart to look for something used. I was in the market for a bigger bag a couple of years ago and found a large LowePro Magnum on Fleabay for under $30. In hitting garage sales, estate sales, and thrift stores, I"ve found that bags are almost an after-thought when people are getting rid of their camera gear so they can often be had for very little cash.
09-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I always buy stuff used. I'm a tightwad...
09-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
By my standards, this bag is pricey by the time you add the extras to make it a complete tool. Still, if it the perfect tool for you, then price is secondary.

Also, this may not make a difference to some, but it does to me ... an equipment bag "Sized as a U.S. airline maximum carry-on piece of luggage" is too big to carry on board regional sized planes (example: CRJ). I frequently find myself on such aircraft. While you don't have to check such full-size bags through to your destination, you do have to surrender such bags for "plane-side" or "valet" checking. And they are then placed in the baggage compartment the same as regular checked bags for the duration of that flight. Your bags are handled by the same people in the same manner as you didn't want to have happen to your delicate gear. Or, even on full-sized aircraft, if the cabin storage space fills before all passengers are on board the remaining bags that cannot fit under the seat in front of you must likewise be "plane-side" checked.

For this reason I won't buy an equipment bag bigger than what fully fits under an airline seat.
if you consider under seat of an airplane, then you are making a trade off between comfort and stowage.

here's why. Most smaller bags do not have proper harnesses that adjust to your torso, placing the load and hip belt at your hips, while having the chest strap across you chest. your options are hip strap around your stomach, chest strap in place correctly,,or hip strap in place correctly and chest strap around your neck.

exactly how much do you want to carry any way?