Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Adapters

Hey Everyone,

I know they make adapters for Pentax lenses to be used on the Canon EOS system. My question is, is there an adapter for Canon lenses to be used on Pentax bodies. I use both sets of equipment but prefer my K-5 over the Canon body I have. I am looking at getting an 85 f/1.2 or f/ 1.4 for my Canon but was wondering if I could get an adapter so I can use it on my K-5.

09-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HaleyJPhotos Quote
Hey Everyone,

I know they make adapters for Pentax lenses to be used on the Canon EOS system. My question is, is there an adapter for Canon lenses to be used on Pentax bodies. I use both sets of equipment but prefer my K-5 over the Canon body I have. I am looking at getting an 85 f/1.2 or f/ 1.4 for my Canon but was wondering if I could get an adapter so I can use it on my K-5.
No. Such an adapter would have to be optically corrected, acting as a short teleconverter and reducing image quality. There are also technical limitations, EOS lenses control the aperture electronically and the mouth diameter is wider than the K-mount.
09-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No. Such an adapter would have to be optically corrected, acting as a short teleconverter and reducing image quality. There are also technical limitations, EOS lenses control the aperture electronically and the mouth diameter is wider than the K-mount.

Aren't there also registry distance differences that would make it incredibly difficult?
09-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There are adaptors for canon FD and Nikon AI to PK,

These adaptors have been documented here in the past. They AF echeap teleconverters which use an optical element to adjust focus and give back infinity focus even though the registry distances are different than Pentax, at the expense of unwanted magnification. You can get me on eBay for about $30. The canon FD adapter has 1.45x and the Nikon AI adaptor has 1.25x magnification. I think there is also an Olympus one as well

09-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think there is also an Olympus one as well
Minolta MD actually. The registry distance for Olympus OM is close enough that you can replace the mount. Leitax sells replacement mounts for most of the Olympus Zuiko lenses.
09-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Aren't there also registry distance differences that would make it incredibly difficult?
That is why it would have to be optically corrected and why the adapter would be a tele converter.
09-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HaleyJPhotos Quote
Hey Everyone,

Yeah, not worth it. The optical adapters required mean you simply lose anything special about the Canon glass, including the speed, so you'd be better off adapting old Pentax glass to your Canons than trying it the other way around. Unless you either want to run it though a cheap teleconverter or knock out the optics and accept a short range of focus.

Even EOS Canons can't accept the old FD glass without an optical element that's essentially a teleconverter.