Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax AF200FG and Metz 24 opinions?

I m looking to get a small compact flash for my k-01. What do you guys think of the 200fg vs the Metz 24? Assuming that I m okay with the prices of either one....which is a more accurate and better flash?

09-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The Metz 24 can bounce, which makes it the winner IMHO.
09-16-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. What about flash characteristics? Which is more accurate (if there is such a term called flash accuracy).
09-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I can't give you a comparison, but I do own a Metz 24, and it does work well.

The only advantage the Pentax flash has is the ability to fire manually at full power. The Metz is P-TTL only. Metz Guide # is 24m ISO 100, 35mm, Pentax is 20m, ISO 100, 28mm, so if you can believe mfg specs, the Metz has a higher GN, but at a narrower coverage, so they're essentially the same.

The ability to bounce easily trumps this IMO. The Metz uses 2 AA batteries, compared to the Pentax using 4.

Another alternative in a compact gun would be the Metz's Auto Thyristor twin, the 20 C-2. Auto operation at f2.8 and f5.6. Same bounceable reflector as the 24.

Personally, I own both of the Metz guns as I have uses for both, and passed on the Pentax though I've always liked Pentax flashes -- own one ea AF 360 FGZ, AF 540 FGZ, AF 280T, AF 500 FTZ, and 2 AF 200s.

Scott

09-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks snostorm. I understand the metz24 does not support rear curtain sync and has no dials to set the flash ev compensation...is this a problem in your shooting? Does the flash maintain highlight well when u shoot?
09-16-2012, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Hi raider,

I just did some quick tests, and rear curtain sync worked fine with my K-5 when set in the flash menu on the camera. There are no controls for anything on the flash but an on-off switch, but Flash Ev comp can be set in the camera in the flash menu, and this worked fine. The specs say that both of these are supported if the camera body does.

As far as exposure goes, this a tricky subject. I've never had any real problems with P-TTL flash, but I know others have, and there is apparently a lot of room for user error with P-TTL since so many seem to struggle with it. All I can say is when I do my part, this flash works pretty much like any other that I have, except it's not as powerful, of course. I haven't used it really extensively, but have had it since the beginning of th year, used it with at least 3 DSLR bodies and the Q, and don't have any complaints.

It's a very convenient compact and lightweight flash that I don't mind carrying around all the time for possible use with either my Q or any of my Pentax DSLRs. I usually shoot it with the reflector aimed straight up with a business card rubber-banded to the flash head and bent up to bounce some light straight forward. It's got enough power to work well in normal height ceiling rooms, and unlike most guns, it's so light I can hardly feel it on the camera. I originally got it so I'd have a flash that didn't dwarf the Q, but started using it with the DSLRs, especially with consumer grade zooms for family events and such.

Scott
09-17-2012, 04:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks snostorm. That is helpful to know.