Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I won't challenge the position accuracy, but unless you have a calibrated barometer as well +/-5 meters vtical is hard to believe. Without barometric assist, the vertical accuracy is something in the orr of +/-50 meters. Vertical accuracy is the hardest to get, which is why top end gps units, including the GPS76GSx that I use also have a barometer built in
Maybe it's because I live in "Flatland" (Denmark) that things appear/turn out better??? In principle, you should get 3-D position with a certain accurcy as soon as one's GPS unit is locked to more than 4 satellites while part of inaccuracies are due to the fact that Earth isn't a perfect sphere.

GPS explained: Position Determination

If I can trust PhotoME's inerpretation of my EXIF data, the O-GPS1 regualrly locks to at least 7 and often 11 satellites where I live. I don't know how much that means in terms of approved accuracy - - - but with a + 50 meters accuracy, I should occasionally find myself below sea level, which hasn't happened so far. Also, with Geosetter, I can compare O-GPS1 altitudes with those Geosetter finds on the web and again, the accuracies I have observed so far do seem much better than + 50 meters. Perhaps(?) the quantitative statement on accuracy found here comes closest to the truth:

Discussion about vertical GPS accuracy

09-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Over the weekend I went out. Overall I am satisfied with O-GPS1 because it automatically geotag'ed pictures. Sky was clear so I did not experience any loss of signal. Indoors (under a tunnel, museum etc) however, it could not obtain the signal.
09-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
Over the weekend I went out. Overall I am satisfied with O-GPS1 because it automatically geotag'ed pictures. Sky was clear so I did not experience any loss of signal. Indoors (under a tunnel, museum etc) however, it could not obtain the signal.
That's GPS for you. The GPS must have a clear view of the sky, it is inescapable. The reacquiring of the signal once you move back out to the sky takes very little time at all. I love my O-GPS1, that's why I bought a second one for the wife's K30 and I might buy another for the K-01 to save having to swap units over. With the Astrotracking function it is one of the best on the market and from Pentax, that's innovation.
10-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
Yes. That was a serious question. I was wondering about indoors because occasionally I shoot concerts and dance performances indoors. Besides, other devices with GPS capability do not seem to have problems indoors (such as phones). If I have spent around $200 just for a GPS unit I would expect it to just work like other devices if not exceed them.
Don't confuse a gps-capable phone working indoors due to cell phone tower triangulation. Your location can be estimated very closely by calculationg the signal strength to/from multiple cell towers/antennas.

You may have bought it only for its GPS capabilities, but it's AstroTracer is the functionality that has me going Ga-Ga.

A lot of people seem to miss the instruction to recalibrate after changing batteries.

08-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I'm having the same problem as the OP. I'm travelling overseas at the moment and wanted to geotag my images. I've been in the UK three days and the GPS will not acquire lock. I've tried new batteries. It has previously worked at home.
08-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I've sorted my problem. The "new" batteries I had maybe weren't so new. I tried another set of batteries and all is good.
08-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been using it to tag photos while doing insect research in the prairies. Of course, it's wide open and sunny days. Still once in a while a photo isn't tagged. It's rare, maybe just do to batteries draining? Not a major problem, as I usually am taking a series of images and can use the adjacent images in series.

Auto tagging those images is essential to the research.