Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #1

Field Tablet with raw imaging software

Hello Everyone o/
I'm interested in knowing if anyone has or knows of a tablet (android,other OS, not apple) with a built in SD card(important!) that runs decent raw imaging software?
Application is in the field and to avoid use of a bulky,heavy notebook,laptop.
I've only started looking and noticed so far that only micro sd seems to be avail. but then this would be fine since there are sd to micro sd adapters.
Many thanks!

09-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thinkpad Tablet has full size SD card slot built in and can run RawDroid App which is able to decode my K5 DNGs.
09-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #3

The Asus Transformer Prime or Infinity both have an SD card slot, but only when the keyboard is attached... Still smaller than a laptop though. Not sure about raw image processing though - this is usually a relatively big task, so a tablet operating system might struggle.

The new Windows Tablets might be a good bet, as I believe they are to use a full version of Windows, with the new interface overlaid...
09-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd avoid android and wait for a windows tablet. Android is too inefficient as an OS, good enough for simple games and web browsing, but unusable for imaging applications.

09-25-2012, 02:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Thinkpad Tablet has full size SD card slot built in and can run RawDroid App which is able to decode my K5 DNGs.
RawDroid only views the embedded jpg. It is not raw develpment SW.
09-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The cheaper Windows tablets are only netbook grade processors and I think would lack the grunt to do decent PP. The faster Windows tablets are pricier than an equivalent ultra-book and you would still have the usual delays in Windows boot up etc and have no keyboard to do things which are just plain difficult with touch only. And Windows 7 works is a bit frustrating with touch screens - its layout is not designed for touch. I've looked at them but wasn't convinced of usability and value for money vs alternatives. Maybe Windows 8 and a new generation of tablets might be better, although my current understanding (now about six months old) is that Windows 8 for Tablets won't run most desktop apps.
If you use Lightroom, I think there are apps out there that allow you to view RAW images on tablets and allow you to do things like add Lightroom keywords, captions etc so although PP would be done back at a computer, the initial culling, flagging, keywording etc you can do on a tablet while in the field. Depending on what you want to do with the images in the field, another alternative is that I believe some people shot RAW+JPEG and use the JPEG to quickly review on a tablet, post as emails etc and then do the RAW PP when home again. Potentially the JPEG could be quite made using quite a low JPEG res setting on the camera if the initial tablet use doesn't demand high quality, and so this method doesn't consume a whole lot extra capacity on your SD cards.
09-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

HP Elite 2760p runs CS5 for me and has an SD slot- can be a tablet or a laptop - not much of a compromise on price or battery life.
09-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Not a tablet, but not a notebook either...
I carry an HP netbook with the older Atom 1.6GHz CPU running Win7.The screen is the same size and resolution as many 10.1 tablets, its card slot takes SDHC and xD cards - and a USB card reader would handle any others if need be. It has more than adequate storage if heaven forbid I fill my SD cards. It's up to me if I want to haul along a mouse (I usually do).

I doubt it could run Lightroom, but I don't need LR in the field anyhow. I can run Pentax's software, PK_Tether, Picassa, Faststone Photo Tools, or Photoshop Elements (although PSE is pushing the limits). I don't do much video, but Microsoft Movie Maker would allow me to do simple field edits too.

09-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I'd avoid android and wait for a windows tablet. Android is too inefficient as an OS, good enough for simple games and web browsing, but unusable for imaging applications.
After my experience using Windows Phone 7 I have decided to avoid Windows on phones and tablets alike. The Windows 8 tablet that can run lightroom is interesting, but it runs an i5 processor and has hot air blowing out the sides and is likely to be as thick and heavy as an ultrabook.
09-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
After my experience using Windows Phone 7 I have decided to avoid Windows on phones and tablets alike. The Windows 8 tablet that can run lightroom is interesting, but it runs an i5 processor and has hot air blowing out the sides and is likely to be as thick and heavy as an ultrabook.
Lightroom is old fashioned SW that cannot make use of the GPU to process images. That makes it very slow compared to the competition. If you are willing to resort to such simple app as rawdroid, maybe you should compare to equally simple windows applications like IrfanView.
New version of Zoner PhotoStudio is likely to hit the stores shortly after Windows 8 and it will probably support at least partially the touch interface. This application takes advantage of the GPU for computations and supports true RAW development, with very good output and lots of options.
01-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
ARA

There is a Rawvision app that displays RAW images on Android tablets ...
01-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've recently downloaded and used an app called Photo Backup to my Asus TF300 tablet while on holiday. Interface is a little non-intuitive at first (particularly which directory on the card to view) but allows viewing of both Raw and Jpeg files on a card and transfer them, if you wish, onto the tablet's inbuilt memory. I have bought a micro SD card to use while on holidays which I used in the camera via a SD adaptor, then once out of the adaptor, inserted straight into the tablet. The app seemed to work ok. I also downloaded Rawdroid but it crashed on first use and I didn't attempt to use it again.
01-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Related question: What *is* out there that's decent for photo use?

I'm not in the smartphone/Ipad market yet but might be very interested in basically a photo-oriented smartphone that might be, say, in the neighborhood of index-card sizes, with SD card readers and some form of rudimentary post-processing. I'd be thinking just enough to be able to do some quick cropping and cleaning up of photos in order to be able to be out there and say, 'Here, here's a copy for you' or beam something Net-worthy to other phones and stuff.

Doubtless a number of useful apps could be incorporated. "Here, hold this lit-up screen for a fill panel," or even maybe a simple slave trigger you could use in lieu of a Polaroid back for flash metering, etc.

I'm still way behind the times on smartphones, (My phone's basically still ...just a phone, and it's the first one I've had with a camera at all. Which I forget is there, even when I'm like, 'Darn, I don't have a camera on me.' (But without a data plan, there's nothing to do with the low-res photos but make screen backgrounds. ) So I'm just wondering how the whole progress is going in that area where tablets and smartphones seem to overlap.