Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual focus lenses, K200D, battery grip, and green button metering

Most of my shooting recently is with manual focus lenses. I have a K200D and am considering the D-BG3 battery grip because I shoot a lot of portrait oriented photos. However, it seems like it would be a big hassle to meter while in portrait orientation, since the K200D battery grip doesn't have a green button :P My left hand is usually supporting the lens and focusing, and I'd have to move it in order to meter with the green button.

Does anyone have similar experience and any work-arounds?

09-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the truth of the matter is that you do not need to meter every time. I shoot a lot of MF lenses, and generally unless lighting changes or my desire to change exposure (high key, low key etc) changes, I set it once and shoot until lighting changes.

i meter off a relatively neutral surface, do a check of the histogram, and then check the histogram about every 5 shots making minor adjustments if needed
09-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the truth of the matter is that you do not need to meter every time. I shoot a lot of MF lenses, and generally unless lighting changes or my desire to change exposure (high key, low key etc) changes, I set it once and shoot until lighting changes.

i meter off a relatively neutral surface, do a check of the histogram, and then check the histogram about every 5 shots making minor adjustments if needed
I see. I'm a compulsive meter-er when using manual lenses. Recently I have been shooting a lot during dusk, which means a good amount of shadows here and there, as well as fairly rapidly changing lighting conditions, which I guess would partially explain my compulsive metering.
09-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
I see. I'm a compulsive meter-er when using manual lenses. Recently I have been shooting a lot during dusk, which means a good amount of shadows here and there, as well as fairly rapidly changing lighting conditions, which I guess would partially explain my compulsive metering.
then might I suggest, if you actually trust the metering that you invest in some M42 lenses in place of K mounts. then just go and shoot, except with this you are relying on the camera I think too much in dusk, unless you are using spot metering.

The conditions you describe, to me do not make life much more difficult to meter separately, except for the desire to have the vertical format.

09-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The conditions you describe, to me do not make life much more difficult to meter separately, except for the desire to have the vertical format.
That's a big "except," considering that my biggest problem with getting the grip would be that I shoot in vertical a lot. I've lived without a grip so far and maybe will continue to live without one...or maybe not. I still want one, but also have concerns that I've read about the K200D battery grip causing the camera to freeze up.
09-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

your K200 is getting a little long in the tooth, as is my K10D which shares the same sensor.

I know the sensor has a wonderful low ISO rendition, but there are just a few newer options out there.

Actually, in place of a grip, you may wish to consider an upgrade, and a body where you can program buttons differently. that couold solve part of the issue.

maybe post something in the DSLR forum as opposed to the accessories, which I assume you selected because you want to use a grip, but this might want to be in the DSLR forum because it is not totally grip related.
09-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I know, it's a bit dated. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the funds to upgrade right now, and I would upgrade to a K-30 since I've already sunk a bit of money into Eneloops.