Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Need Help Finding a New Bag

I think I've finally outgrown my bag and am in need of a new one. Only problem is that I can't really seem to find something that would fit my needs.

I'm hoping to get something that would hold:
1) K-r with Tamron 28-75 (will eventually replace with K-5 or K-5II)
2) K-01 with 40mm xs
3) FA 50 1.4
4) Tamron 70-200 2.8 (that will trade off with the DA 55-300)
5) 2 Flashes
6) Another small zoom lens (usually 18-55)

I'm hoping I'm not just looking to carry too many things. I like to be over prepared when I go out to shoot.

I had purchased this bag because it looked big enough to carry everything, but I wasn't too happy with the layout. Amazon.com: Manfrotto MB SM390-7BC UNICA VII Messenger Bag -Champagne: Camera & Photo

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

10-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This website has user reviews of most of the major bags and often includes pictures showing how much stuff each bag will hold.

Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource.

Tim
10-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I notice you're in the States, so I'm not sure if you can get Hakuba bags there or not, but I'm a big fan of them
I have a medium one of these:
http://takepicture.sblo.jp/article/54612999.html
It goes under the name of RidgeIII.
Solid bag.
10-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
If ready access to gear while walking is important, stick with messenger style. However there are practical limits. A too big bag will get in the way. Backpacks can carry more gear, more comfortably, but are a pain if you need quick access. You can combine the two however. Carry most of your gear in a backpack and still wear a smaller messenger for your most used gear. I use a messenger bag myself, but have added a waist belt in addition to the shoulder strap to both redistribute weight and keep the bag from swinging around when I am bending over.

One other facet... do you fly? I often find myself on smaller regional aircraft and they typically cannot accommodate larger gear bags that are still within carry-on limits. You certainly don't want your gear placed in the baggage area. I also typically need to carry a PC and there is a limit of one carry-on with roller bags 'plane-side' checked (put in baggage area). What I have done is use two narrower messenger bags with one shoulder strap and I join the bags with a couple double-ended spring clips at the D-rings. The total size doesn't exceed carry-on limitations. So far nobody accuses me of trying to bring more than one carry-on aboard, and if the bins are too small for a full size bag, I simply unclip the bags and they will fit into those smaller bins, or under the seat.

10-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please do look at the review section, a lot of good information, even if the bags go out of production, there are similar configurations.

I use different "products" for what my needs are for an outing. I had backpacks to carry a lot of gear, but you have to take them off to get anything out. Then I got a Tenba Shootout Sling Bag, I like it a lot better than a backpack, it is more comfortable to carry with the wide strap over one shoulder, you don't have to take it off to get to your gear. Just slide it around and the bag is in front of you, still secure and the side becomes the top and opens up, nothing can fall out. I have the medium size, you would probably need the large for two cameras. I have carried a K20D with the DA55-300 attached. I know you can configure them many ways, including a large DSLR with a large lens like the 70-200/2.8 attached, very versatile.

However, more often I just carry the camera and 1-3 lens in individual cases (Lowepro & Pearstone) strapped to a belt. Then sometimes I use a soft cooler as a shoulder type bag, I can carry a couple of lenses (in the lens case) and a camera in the bag, It doesn't look like a camera bag. It is padded but has no compartments, so I carry the lenses in their cases. I don't use this to carry around with me, just to transport.