Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

BG2 Battery Grip Pin Layout

I did a search for the the layout of the pins on the battery grip for the K10d/K20d, but couldn't find anything.
Does anyone know where I could find it or if they have some information that could help?

Here's the problem: Too many times I have the camera set up in Av or TAv and I accidentally hit the Green button on the grip. This changes the settings I had originally set. I usually don't notice until I've taken quite a bit of photos.

My solution: I'd like to try and cover the corresponding pin(s) with some sort of insulation to prevent the Green button from working on the grip.

Can anyone help?

10-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
-If not shooting in portrait, turn the grip off. I had a problem with firing the shutter when carrying my K10 over my shoulder.
-As far as the green button in general...I'm not sure if the pins are individual circuits or a data connection.
10-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Each pin isn't carrying a different signal (like an old analogue hifi connector). They all carry data - so the pins are working together more like a usb connector.
If you cover one pin, it will stop the connector working altogether.

In TAV or M, you can set your camera to have the green button disabled. May or may not help here.
10-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
If not shooting in portrait, turn the grip off
I tend to switch between landscape and portrait a lot sometimes when I'm shooting, so this wouldn't work for me too well.

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
In TAV or M, you can set your camera to have the green button disabled.
On my camera (K10d) you can only choose between Program Line, Tv Shift and Av Shift for the Green button function. There is no option to disable it.

I'm looking to get a K5 in the near future, and a grip to go with it eventually. It looks like the layout of the green button on the grip will help reduce the chance of accidentally hitting it.

Again....Thanks for your help!

10-12-2012, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alexcam Quote
I did a search for the the layout of the pins on the battery grip for the K10d/K20d, but couldn't find anything.
Does anyone know where I could find it or if they have some information that could help?
The pinouts are mentioned in this thread.
10-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well if you do bump up to a K5, I just checked and you can disable the green button, but the button on the bg4 is easily pressed, as it is right where your thumb rests.
10-17-2012, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
The pinouts are mentioned in this thread.
Thanks for the link to the thread. Unfortunately the links in that thread don't work anymore, but it lists the pins and their corresponding functions.
I took a small piece of tape and covered pin 10 (Green Button). I put the grip on the camera, turned it on and the green button was disabled!
Everything else seemed to work properly.

I'm thinking of using a really thin plastic tube with the end melted shut to place over the pin as a more"permanent" solution. This way it's still completely reversible.

Thanks again for your help!

10-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You might try the little cap that comes on clickable pens.
That little condom might be useful since you green button keeps screwin ya ;-)
12-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by alexcam Quote
Thanks for the link to the thread. Unfortunately the links in that thread don't work anymore, but it lists the pins and their corresponding functions.
I took a small piece of tape and covered pin 10 (Green Button). I put the grip on the camera, turned it on and the green button was disabled!
Everything else seemed to work properly.

I'm thinking of using a really thin plastic tube with the end melted shut to place over the pin as a more"permanent" solution. This way it's still completely reversible.

Thanks again for your help!
Can you post a picture of which pin is #10? This sounds like a great fix, and something I might want to do when I get my grip.

Thanks
12-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The simplest solution would be to mask the green button on the grip with tape and a brass or plastic coated tack pin with the pin broken off. Even a thin ordinary shirt/pant button should work well. Place it over the green button and then put cello tape over it.
This is better then attempting to tamper with the pins on the grip or the camera. A simple reversible process too.
But what intrigues me is that I always have the grip on my camera and have never had problems with the green button - accidental presses or whatever??
12-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another solution: position a small rubber o-ring so as to protect the button from all but intentional activation. Contact/rubber cement or a dab of silicon sealer works OK and can be removed later if necessary. Available in the plumbing parts dept among other places.

H2
01-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't have a picture of the pins, but it's easy to figure out:

With the tripod mounting screw to the left of the pins it should look something like this:

The bold numbers are the pins from the battery and are a little thicker than the rest.

Hope this helps!