Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vanguard Up-Rise 48, possibly the best camera backpack...

I was asked in another thread about my camera bag, so instead off clogging up that thread, I decided to make a whole new thread for this.

Its a Vanguard UpRise 48,
its can fit alot of gear, plus tripod and a laptop and has rain cover and its very very comfy, even though it is a back-pack it has side access just like a lowepro slingshot (had a slingshot 202 before this), but this has two very well padded straps instead so its doesnt kill your back like a day out with a sling bag.

Pics,-

Front on, its a very good looking bag, with no big logos.

Here you can see just how well the shoulder straps are shapped for your body and how well padded the back is and its "air-flow" system which does keep your back cool on a hot day out shooting, also you can see the chest strap and tucked away at the bottom is a waist belt(which I dont use)

The built in rain cover.

The laptop sleeve (15.6 inch laptop), I dont normally carry my laptop with me much but when I do its there you could even put a filter or memory card wallets in it instead Also here you can see the tripod attachment which is zipped away neatly when not in use.

The zips all tuck away nicely in these little covers.

The bottom of the bag is made from a waterproof plastic-like material which which keep your gear dry and safe if you sit your bag down in a wet spot in the feild.

When on your back, release your right arm from the strap and swing it around just like a slingshot bag.

Crappy phone pic of full opened view loaded. Each divider is removable/adjustable (2 spare dividers that come with bag not shown)

Close up of the 20+50 lens piggybacked.

Another zip allows access to just the top section. The bright orange interior I like alot its alot nicer than the boring gray found in the lowepro bags and it helps finding any loose items that could be floating around inside.

Thin pocket on the front provides storage for other loose items

That basicly sums it all up, I bought this bag on ebay for $100AUD new, it was advertised as ex-shelf stock that may not come with tags, but it came with full tags and still wrapped in plastic
Here is the the same seller that has another for sale- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VANGUARD-UP-RISE-48-DIGITAL-SLR-15-LAPTOP-BACKPAC...item4abd4f7064

Ive gone through alot of backpack and sling bags and this is the best Ive ever used. They do have smaller sizes of this bag too

The Vanguard quailty is excellent, better than Lowepro.
Highly recomend this bag.

My other bag is a Lowepro Pro Messenger 160AW, which I use when I want to be light.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 10-17-2012 at 02:24 AM.
10-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've got a nasty case of Bag-Lust (BL) right now. I want one!
Good on you for making me dislike my current bag.

Regards
10-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you like it so much. I own one and...well....I use it to store lenses.
10-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I use it to store lenses.
lol, I got pelican case's for that

10-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Uprise 45 owner here. Thanks for the review of the 48.

My only real gripe about the Uprise 45/48 is the lack of little storage slots for SD cards, lens caps, blowers, pens etc . Some of my other bags - eg from Tamrac - have little pockets and zippers everywhere to hold that sort of stuff. Very handy. In the UpRises, too much can end up floating around loose.
10-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
lol, I got pelican case's for that
I use mistake cases for storage. The Uprise seemed like a good case but in practical use - its a pain for me. Too few little places for storage of small items. The split back with a vertical center zipper is pretty useless. It's slick looking and wears well and I like the main compartment access and how they have three methods for securing the opening but in the end I went back to my LowePro gear.