Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I will likely go with previously mentioned suggestions above with a 4"-5" lens plate to secure the lens.
I am using Arca Swiss compatible equipment.
Another recommendation for Hejnar's camera plates from me, they are well made and light weight. I just took a look at the sigma 500mm f4.5, it has quite a large handle. With larger lenses sometimes the balance points can be quite off center - I quoted your comment above because I think you might want to consider doubling the size you're thinking of for the plate so that you can ensure a good lens balance...otherwise at least wait until the lens arrives and determine how big a plate you'll need to be able to adequately center it in the ballhead clamp.

10-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Another recommendation for Hejnar's camera plates from me, they are well made and light weight. I just took a look at the sigma 500mm f4.5, it has quite a large handle. With larger lenses sometimes the balance points can be quite off center - I quoted your comment above because I think you might want to consider doubling the size you're thinking of for the plate so that you can ensure a good lens balance...otherwise at least wait until the lens arrives and determine how big a plate you'll need to be able to adequately center it in the ballhead clamp.
Thanks !
I'll wait and see how the "handle" sizes ... good idea.

JP
10-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you wait to get the lens first, then you'll have another wait before shooting with it from a tripod...are you prepared to be that patient? Buy one that's recommended for that specific lens. Order it immediately...Indulge yourself so you can shoot immediately upon opening the lens shipping carton. Delayed gratification my arse...you've thought about a big tele lens for years...now it's GO TIME!
10-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
now it's GO TIME!
Hells Yeah!!

10-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The biggest lens I have is a Rubinar 1000/10 mirror. It weighs 2.5kg and is about the size of a mortar. I always carry that by the barrel with the camera body hanging on the back. I do not want to risk distoring the mount or the 42mm adaptor.

The next biggest are a Tele Tak 300/6.3 - about 700g and a Tamron A 28-300 zoom. The TeleTak is long an slender, and nice to hold by the barrel. The Tamron is a push-pull zoom and quite fat, not so nice to hold, but presents less risk to the body since the mount is K (no adaptor in there.)

In summary, With big glass it is natural to hold it along the lens to get reasonable balance nthe hand. This also decreases the risk of the lens waving about and clouting something, with damage to the lens.
11-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I have a Velbon Sherpa Pro CF-537, good for about 5 Kg's (carbon fiber -- quite sturdy inspite of its low weight).
The "ball head" is an Acratech GV2, good for 12Kg's.

I guess the tripod isn't quite up to par in this combination but I had bought it way before I ever considered getting a better ballhead. Does the job well for the moment - although I use the tripod very seldom with any telephoto lens thus far.
If anything, I prefer taking my Manfrotto monopod which has a very good "monopod" head (good for 6 Kg ... or more, I can't recall)

If I combine the weight of the Sigma lens: 3.1 Kg and the camera (K5 at 0.75 Kg) ... that's just a little over 3.8 Kg.

I would imagaine this combination of tripod (if I ever use it) /ballhead/camera should work, right?
JP, the weight alone is not that important, the torque is the decisive factor. The Sherpa Pro is sure a nice tripod (I have the 540), but I would never use it with something heavier and longer than the Pentax A 400/5.6 - and that only, when I don't extend the lowest leg section. For a 500/4.5 you would at least need a Manfrotto 055 or something similar. If you want or need to go cheap, buy an older Gitzo aluminium tripod, like the Studex (I love that) or if you want something with very good value for money a bigger Feisol CF might be a good choice (or a Gitzo CF, is money is no obstacle).

Ben
11-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
JP, the weight alone is not that important, the torque is the decisive factor. The Sherpa Pro is sure a nice tripod (I have the 540), but I would never use it with something heavier and longer than the Pentax A 400/5.6 - and that only, when I don't extend the lowest leg section. For a 500/4.5 you would at least need a Manfrotto 055 or something similar. If you want or need to go cheap, buy an older Gitzo aluminium tripod, like the Studex (I love that) or if you want something with very good value for money a bigger Feisol CF might be a good choice (or a Gitzo CF, is money is no obstacle).

Ben
Thanks, Ben !

This post comes in handy as I have been doing a bit of "research" about the weight allowance of that tripod of mine. When that big lens comes home, it will need all the support I need and you have made a good point regarding "torque".
I think that the Acratech GV2 will do the job though, hopefully so, as I sure don't want to get into another huge expense (eg.: Gimball) following what will likely be a tripod purchase, if that comes down to that.

By the way, I have also made no decision on the lens plate size/type/brand ... lots of choices out there. No rush.

Cheers.

JP

11-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Stability with these long lenses is so important as I've witnessed myself. A proper tripod and mount is so important - thinking of it like the foundation of a house.

Your ball head should be fine - that is one of the best. But don't discount the use of a gimbal head - for me it made all the difference in the world for the freedom of movement while shooting. It's quite an amazing piece of kit once you have it balanced correctly in that you can move the camera and lens with one finger in any direction and it will stay exactly there. I also shied away from a gimbal head for some time, but finally had to try one. While the Wimberley and a couple others are state of the art as far as build quality and performance, I tried a knock-off version first so I wouldn't be putting out a lot of money. The one I bought, the Opteka in the link below for $150 serves my purpose very well - and very happy with it for the price paid. If it was something that I used for hours a day, I would upgrade to one of the Wimberley equivalents. For the time being, this gimbal head works great - you won't know what you are missing with a long lens on a tripod until you've used one of these gimbal heads.

Amazon.com: Opteka GH1 Pro Heavy Duty Metal Gimbal Head (Supports up to 30lbs): Camera & Photo