Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens - camera plate for a large lens on the K5 - Info ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi folks,

So I am about to order a large telephoto lens (Sigma 500/4.5) for my K5 (when it comes back from yet another repair job - No. 3 since June 2012 !! )
and I would like to know:

The lens being so large and heavy, I would assume that it would be better to have some sort of plate which would attach to both the camera and the lens, all in one long plate so that there will not be any stress or "torquing".

Is this something that is normally done?
Would a simple lens plate do the trick just as well?

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers!

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 10-18-2012 at 07:53 PM.
10-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've had a couple long/heavy lenses (300 2.8 and 600 5.6) and never felt the need to support the K-5 also. The K-5 is so light and small I don't think there is any problem - and I always had the grip installed. Just use a long enough lens plate so you can balance the combination properly.

Also my method has always been to mount the lens alone on the tripod first, then attach the camera, When you are handling the combination off the tripod, you will be holding the lens and not the camera anyway.

Good luck with the 500 4.5 - I see nothing but great results from it here on the forum!
10-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the accepted method is to support the lens and ignore the weight of the camera. It is immaterial compared to the lens.
10-19-2012, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Manfrotto make a long lens support. This is the tripod version;
Long Lens Support 359 - Supports | Manfrotto

and this for a monopod;

http://www.manfrotto.com/long-lens-monopod-bracket

They also make this rather interesting piece of kit;

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/0/MVA513WK/_/SYMPLA_Long_Lens_Support_System_-_Complete_Kit

10-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi JP,

I agree with stormtech and jatrax in this, at least for the Sigma 500/4.5. It's a relatively light lens compared to other big glass, just a little heavier than the average 300/2.8, and not incredibly long, so the supplied tripod collar should be easily enough to give you adequate support. You'll probably want a long plate (I use Arca Swiss compatible clamps and plates) so you can balance the camera/lens on the head though. I suggest looking at rainbowimaging, oecamera, and krosno65 on ebay as sources for all kinds of good Arca compatible stuff at reasonable prices. Krosno65, in particular makes custom plates to spec if you want a thick plate for extra stiffness, and has a lens support system, though I can't for the life of me figure out exactly how it works.

As far as how long a plate you'll need to balance this setup, I really don't know, but the Acratech site has a "plate finder" page, and they say about 154mm (6") for the 500/4.5. This sounds a bit long to me as I don't need anything longer than about 100mm for my 300/2.8s, but too long is better than too short, and the longer plates are easier to use as handles to carry the camera/lens or lens alone when not attached to the tripod. One cool tip about most big Sigma glass is that they all seem to use the same tripod collars, and only have two variations, with either a long or short foot (the short foot seems to be std).

Rainbowimaging has a Kiwiphoto 169mm plate for $26.99. Compare this to $79 for an Arca Swiss 150mm or $65 for an RRS 152mm, or Acratech for a 6" plate. . .

Manfrotto also makes a lens support plate, Mod 293, but I think something like this is not really needed for this class of lens.
Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release 293 B&H

As stormtech suggests, you're really mounting the camera on the lens, not the other way around. If you're worried about the mount on either the lens or the camera, I've spent many, many full days carrying various Pentax bodies with a 6 lb + lens mounted -- I carry it in my hand with a grip strap, not with a neck strap, so the weight of the lens is borne on the mount, and normally carry at least a 2 lb lens mounted on my cameras -- and I've never had the slightest bit of wear, warping, or loosening on either mount

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 10-19-2012 at 01:46 AM.
10-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the Sunwayfoto 120mm lens plate on my Sigma 300/2.8 and offten use a 2x converter, no real need to brace to camera.

I got the 120mm plate so as I could slide it forwards aand backwards in the release clamp to balance lens/camera combos. I bought it from OECcamera store on fleabay, I find the Sunwayfoto plate solid, never flexed it,
They do also have a Jobu 4.7 inch plate there as well, Jobu being a more solid plate, with a main 3/8 mounting screw, as well as 2 x 1/4 inch screws as well, with a big lens like the 500/4.5, the stronger the better I would say, Not sure what tread mounts are in its tripod collar, but, thinking that being big it may have both 1/4 and 3/8. Maybe that info is somewhere here on PF, or somebody with one can confirm.

Sunwayfoto -
SUNWAYFOTO 120mm QR Long Lens Plate DPG-120 Arca Compatible Sunway NEW | eBay

Jobu -
Jobu NX4 NX-4 7" QR Lens Plate Lensplate Rail Dual Dovetail Arca Compatible NEW | eBay
10-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Really Right Stuff makes the plate for the lens. Check their website.

They also make a long lens support system for stopping vibrations or balancing lenses that are either ass heavy or nose heavy (I have an extra unused RRS long lens support system that I can sell you).

I have used additional camera support with medium format tele's but that braced the camera to the tripod leg.

It would be difficult and wonky to tie the camera to the lens and would reduce the ability to rotate back and forth between horizontal and vertical--which is accomplished by rotating the lens withing the tripod mount.

Also,you will be providing stabilization for the camera by holding it while shooting.

I recommend not fretting about the camera to lens support issue and go buy a bigger tripod. If you haven't owned a big tele before, you almost certainly are under equipped for your tripod. It will be difficult to get anything sharp until you bump up to a very large tripod. I shoot my 600/4 off a tripod and head combo that weighs 12 pounds. But after a couple decades of big tele use I'm not trying to go light on the tripod...trial and error has guided me to heavier for big teles.

I have a buddy who uses my old F*600 who is rock steady shooting from a bean bag as well as a big tripod. I have to regulate my trigger finger on the shutter--I tend to slam the shutter and wiggle the lens--and do better work from the tripod than from the bean bag though I have done publication quality work from bags.

For reference, I've owned and shot extensively with A*300/2.8, K500/4.5, F*600/4, FA*250-600/5.6, FA*600/4, and for medium format M*400/4 and M*300/4 all with tripod collars.

10-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Really Right Stuff makes the plate for the lens. Check their website.

They also make a long lens support system for stopping vibrations or balancing lenses that are either ass heavy or nose heavy (I have an extra unused RRS long lens support system that I can sell you).

I have used additional camera support with medium format tele's but that braced the camera to the tripod leg.

It would be difficult and wonky to tie the camera to the lens and would reduce the ability to rotate back and forth between horizontal and vertical--which is accomplished by rotating the lens withing the tripod mount.

Also,you will be providing stabilization for the camera by holding it while shooting.

I recommend not fretting about the camera to lens support issue and go buy a bigger tripod. If you haven't owned a big tele before, you almost certainly are under equipped for your tripod. It will be difficult to get anything sharp until you bump up to a very large tripod. I shoot my 600/4 off a tripod and head combo that weighs 12 pounds. But after a couple decades of big tele use I'm not trying to go light on the tripod...trial and error has guided me to heavier for big teles.

I have a buddy who uses my old F*600 who is rock steady shooting from a bean bag as well as a big tripod. I have to regulate my trigger finger on the shutter--I tend to slam the shutter and wiggle the lens--and do better work from the tripod than from the bean bag though I have done publication quality work from bags.

For reference, I've owned and shot extensively with A*300/2.8, K500/4.5, F*600/4, FA*250-600/5.6, FA*600/4, and for medium format M*400/4 and M*300/4 all with tripod collars.
Ron,

Thanks for the reply.

I will likely go with previously mentioned suggestions above with a 4"-5" lens plate to secure the lens.
I am using Arca Swiss compatible equipment.

I have a Velbon Sherpa Pro CF-537, good for about 5 Kg's (carbon fiber -- quite sturdy inspite of its low weight).
The "ball head" is an Acratech GV2, good for 12Kg's.

I guess the tripod isn't quite up to par in this combination but I had bought it way before I ever considered getting a better ballhead. Does the job well for the moment - although I use the tripod very seldom with any telephoto lens thus far.
If anything, I prefer taking my Manfrotto monopod which has a very good "monopod" head (good for 6 Kg ... or more, I can't recall)

If I combine the weight of the Sigma lens: 3.1 Kg and the camera (K5 at 0.75 Kg) ... that's just a little over 3.8 Kg.

I would imagaine this combination of tripod (if I ever use it) /ballhead/camera should work, right?

JP
10-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think the accepted method is to support the lens and ignore the weight of the camera. It is immaterial compared to the lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I've had a couple long/heavy lenses (300 2.8 and 600 5.6) and never felt the need to support the K-5 also. The K-5 is so light and small I don't think there is any problem - and I always had the grip installed. Just use a long enough lens plate so you can balance the combination properly.

Also my method has always been to mount the lens alone on the tripod first, then attach the camera, When you are handling the combination off the tripod, you will be holding the lens and not the camera anyway.

Good luck with the 500 4.5 - I see nothing but great results from it here on the forum!
Thanks for the input guys ...I didn't know about attaching the camera TO the lens, and not the other way around and it makes sense.

JP
10-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Manfrotto make a long lens support. This is the tripod version;
Long Lens Support 359 - Supports | Manfrotto

and this for a monopod;

Long Lens Monopod Bracket 393 - Two Way | Manfrotto

They also make this rather interesting piece of kit;

SYMPLA Long Lens Support System - Complete Kit MVA513WK - Systems | Manfrotto
Those set ups look like they are made for super heavy lenses ... they are rather special ... never seen any of this before.

JP
10-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi JP,

I agree with stormtech and jatrax in this, at least for the Sigma 500/4.5. It's a relatively light lens compared to other big glass, just a little heavier than the average 300/2.8, and not incredibly long, so the supplied tripod collar should be easily enough to give you adequate support. You'll probably want a long plate (I use Arca Swiss compatible clamps and plates) so you can balance the camera/lens on the head though. I suggest looking at rainbowimaging, oecamera, and krosno65 on ebay as sources for all kinds of good Arca compatible stuff at reasonable prices. Krosno65, in particular makes custom plates to spec if you want a thick plate for extra stiffness, and has a lens support system, though I can't for the life of me figure out exactly how it works.

As far as how long a plate you'll need to balance this setup, I really don't know, but the Acratech site has a "plate finder" page, and they say about 154mm (6") for the 500/4.5. This sounds a bit long to me as I don't need anything longer than about 100mm for my 300/2.8s, but too long is better than too short, and the longer plates are easier to use as handles to carry the camera/lens or lens alone when not attached to the tripod. One cool tip about most big Sigma glass is that they all seem to use the same tripod collars, and only have two variations, with either a long or short foot (the short foot seems to be std).

Rainbowimaging has a Kiwiphoto 169mm plate for $26.99. Compare this to $79 for an Arca Swiss 150mm or $65 for an RRS 152mm, or Acratech for a 6" plate. . .

Manfrotto also makes a lens support plate, Mod 293, but I think something like this is not really needed for this class of lens.
Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release 293 B&H

As stormtech suggests, you're really mounting the camera on the lens, not the other way around. If you're worried about the mount on either the lens or the camera, I've spent many, many full days carrying various Pentax bodies with a 6 lb + lens mounted -- I carry it in my hand with a grip strap, not with a neck strap, so the weight of the lens is borne on the mount, and normally carry at least a 2 lb lens mounted on my cameras -- and I've never had the slightest bit of wear, warping, or loosening on either mount

Scott
Thanks, Scott.
So, I will probably go with a 4-5 in. plate; it's just a matter of deciding which outfit I will buy it from.

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I have the Sunwayfoto 120mm lens plate on my Sigma 300/2.8 and offten use a 2x converter, no real need to brace to camera.

I got the 120mm plate so as I could slide it forwards aand backwards in the release clamp to balance lens/camera combos. I bought it from OECcamera store on fleabay, I find the Sunwayfoto plate solid, never flexed it,
They do also have a Jobu 4.7 inch plate there as well, Jobu being a more solid plate, with a main 3/8 mounting screw, as well as 2 x 1/4 inch screws as well, with a big lens like the 500/4.5, the stronger the better I would say, Not sure what tread mounts are in its tripod collar, but, thinking that being big it may have both 1/4 and 3/8. Maybe that info is somewhere here on PF, or somebody with one can confirm.

Sunwayfoto -
SUNWAYFOTO 120mm QR Long Lens Plate DPG-120 Arca Compatible Sunway NEW | eBay

Jobu -
Jobu NX4 NX-4 7" QR Lens Plate Lensplate Rail Dual Dovetail Arca Compatible NEW | eBay
What's the difference of having two sliding screws instead of just one: eg.: Sunwayfoto vs. Jobu ?
Thanks for the reply.

JP
10-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

As far as plates and related equipment, I can highly recommend Hejnar Photo:

Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs

Their prices are right in line - the only cheaper alternatives I've found are from Rainbow Imaging that are available on Amazon and eBay. Nothing at all wrong with those, but I find I use a lot of other accessories that Hejnar provides. One in particular which really helped with a really long lens that has the tripod foot way off center was his long lens kit:

Lens Support : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs

What got me started with Hejnar is I have a very nice Manfrotto Hydrostatic ball head that I just love, but I needed to covert everything to arca-swiss. He even makes a conversion for some of the Manfrotto heads from their quick release systems to arca-swiss - I was very impressed!

Manfrotto Adapters : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs

I am the type that when I find a good vendor with excellent equipment and service, I tend to stick with them. I had to return an item once (my fault) and he even credited me the original shipping charge!
10-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As far as plates and related equipment, I can highly recommend Hejnar Photo:

Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs

Their prices are right in line - the only cheaper alternatives I've found are from Rainbow Imaging that are available on Amazon and eBay. Nothing at all wrong with those, but I find I use a lot of other accessories that Hejnar provides. One in particular which really helped with a really long lens that has the tripod foot way off center was his long lens kit:

Lens Support : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs

What got me started with Hejnar is I have a very nice Manfrotto Hydrostatic ball head that I just love, but I needed to covert everything to arca-swiss. He even makes a conversion for some of the Manfrotto heads from their quick release systems to arca-swiss - I was very impressed!

Manfrotto Adapters : Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs

I am the type that when I find a good vendor with excellent equipment and service, I tend to stick with them. I had to return an item once (my fault) and he even credited me the original shipping charge!
Yep!
Great products they have.

Too bad I am already set up for the monopod ... they have on heck of a great monopod head in there!

thanks.
10-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What's the difference of having two sliding screws instead of just one: eg.: Sunwayfoto vs. Jobu ?
Thanks for the reply.

JP
There are some tripod feet that will have 2 mounting holes so that is why some come with 2 sliding screws. In all the plates, when you slide the screw to one end, there is a proper threaded socket where you can unscrew a screw to remove it. Having 2 screws holding the plate onto the foot is of course much better since there is no chance of any twisting action. Most of the lenses I've used only accept one screw. With the single screw plates, it's nice to get the ones that have a lip at one end so if you mount the plate with the lip against the end of the tripod foot it also stops any chance of twisting.

This plate actually has that threaded socket at both ends:

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:42 AM.
10-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There are some tripod feet that will have 2 mounting holes so that is why some come with 2 sliding screws. In all the plates, when you slide the screw to one end, there is a proper threaded socket where you can unscrew a screw to remove it. Having 2 screws holding the plate onto the foot is of course much better since there is no chance of any twisting action. Most of the lenses I've used only accept one screw. With the single screw plates, it's nice to get the ones that have a lip at one end so if you mount the plate with the lip against the end of the tripod foot it also stops any chance of twisting.

This plate actually has that threaded socket at both ends:
Great !

Thanks for the info!

JP