Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Cheap Counter Balance Weight for K-5 when using DA* 60-250

Is there anything besides the aftermarket battery grip that I can use as a counter balance? I was thinking about getting a short mono pod and modifying it by putting a chuck of metal on it but it might get in the way.

10-27-2012, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get some 1/4-20 unc threaded rod and a few nuts and a bunch of washers. Cut rod to size and hang enough washers on it until youre happy .....
10-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this for a tripod or for hand holding?
10-28-2012, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #4

So you spend $$$ on the body, $$$$ on a lens and then you want something "cheap" to help balance the load?

Just spend the money on the Pentax grip; be sealed and balanced and enjoy shooting.

10-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

+1 What neil said
10-28-2012, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a manfrotto (bogen) quick release (QR) adapter and I generally leave the QR plate (#3157) on (my K20D)--adds a little weight and a little surface to hold onto--and it's rectangular shape does not cover the battery compartment. Not a lot of weight (about 2-3 oz)--but seems to help a lot. You may be able to get a sheet of lead from hardware store and drill a hole and sandwich it between this QR plate and camera base. They (Manfrotto/Bogen) also makes lots of adapters/converters and you may find (for example) a converter for changing tripod screw size that is much heavier. The main issue likely will be is it comforatble or does it get in the way--I also wanted more weight but everything else I added was a hindrance.
10-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It's for hand holding. I guess my intent is two fold. I want a counter balance that is comfortable and won't get in the way that is cheap, but I also want my camera to look like a piece of shit so people won't want to steal it. I like the rod and washer idea, I might spray a bunch of liquid rubber stuff on it and make a handle out of it, the manfrotto is appealing also since it so low profile and won't be getting in the way.

10-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Whitewind Quote
It's for hand holding. I guess my intent is two fold. I want a counter balance that is comfortable and won't get in the way that is cheap, but I also want my camera to look like a piece of shit so people won't want to steal it. I like the rod and washer idea, I might spray a bunch of liquid rubber stuff on it and make a handle out of it, the manfrotto is appealing also since it so low profile and won't be getting in the way.
I don't think trying to ugly-up your camera with some crap hanging off the bottom of it will make a difference but to each their own.

I bought one of these ten years ago for some ground level shooting, it make work for what you want...

THE pod Tripod Alternative - beanbag with a bolt travel
10-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Rather than the rubber liquid stuff go the way of the old fashioned .38 special saturday nite mod.

Use some strips of foam tape to give it some contour and then wrap tightly in electrical tape.

oh and the nuts I mentioned make sure they are vinyl insert lock nuts..
10-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi Whitewind, I picked up a cheap pistol grip from a Goodwill Store. It mounts to your tripod socket. The aluminum halves come apart, and in the hollow handle you can load lead shots to make it heavier. I got a 2nd piece with a movie camera from a $ 5 garage sale. Both work great. The leather case alone is worth much more.
More ideas, shape a pistol grip from wood in two halves, held by two screws. Hollow out the bottom half to hold lead weights. On the top drill a hole and glue the tripod bolt, available for a few cents from hardware stores.
10-30-2012, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

The 60-250 isn't that big of a lens. How are you holding the camera?

I'd suggest that you try supporting the camera with the palm of your left hand underneath the body and jam your elbow against your body as close to center as possible. It seems awkward, but it almost totally removes stress from your shoulders and hands. Your left fingers are free to operate the zoom ring, and your right hand only directs the camera and is free to operate the controls.

I normally shoot 300mm and longer (lenses up to @ 6 lbs), and feel no need to try to "balance" the camera with the lens. Adding more weight to an already relatively heavy camera and lens is the last thing I'd want.

Scott
10-30-2012, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i'm with scott on this one,, I don't see what the issue is. I shoot all the time with either a 300/4 and 1.7x af converter or with a sigma 70-200/2.8 and 2x TC, with no battery grip, and have no issue with "balance"

we need a better explanation of how you are holding the lens and camera before going further.

If you want an example of hand holding, here is a shot from the K7 hand holdiing the 300/4 and 1.7x converter (510mm equivalent) at 1/40th of a second.

Just to stress, this shot is 100% about technique. if I can do this, anyone can, the lens and TC combo is in the order of 1200grams plus the weight of the K7. no battery grip no monopod, no extra bits.

and 100% crop of the head
10-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
The 60-250 isn't that big of a lens. How are you holding the camera?

I'd suggest that you try supporting the camera with the palm of your left hand underneath the body and jam your elbow against your body as close to center as possible. It seems awkward, but it almost totally removes stress from your shoulders and hands. Your left fingers are free to operate the zoom ring, and your right hand only directs the camera and is free to operate the controls.

I normally shoot 300mm and longer (lenses up to @ 6 lbs), and feel no need to try to "balance" the camera with the lens. Adding more weight to an already relatively heavy camera and lens is the last thing I'd want.

Scott
I hold it similar expect my hand is more forward so my hand starts just past the tripod mount.I tuck my elbows close to my ribs. That setup doesn't sound too much different from what I already do so I'll give it a try.
10-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hold it similar expect my hand is more forward so my hand starts just past the tripod mount.I tuck my elbows close to my ribs. That setup doesn't sound too much different from what I already do so I'll give it a try.
I think you should consider a "two point" hold

If your hands are right hand on the grip/shutter release, and the other close to the tripod mount then yes you will have a balance issue. My shot with the 300/4 and 1.7x converter has the left hand much further forward, on the focusing collar. Same is true when shooting the sigma 70/200/2.8 and 2x converter. Left hand is on the focusing ring, which is disengaged by the AF/MF clutch in the lens. This method has the front element supported by my left hand as close to the element as possible, therefore any movement is not amplified by the distance form the element to my hand along the lens barrel, considering my hand is at the point of rotation(or yawl and pitch).

When you have your hand as far back as the tripod mount, there is too much chance of a large movement

Holding the left hand under the camera / lens may be OK for a short lens but not a tele
10-31-2012, 06:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Try it with both the tripod foot installed and removed. I find the tripod foot makes a nice palm rest where my fingers are in the right position to access the zoom and focus rings. My wife however likes it better with the foot removed, The tripod foot is a very nice design in that it is very easily removed and replaced.