Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #1

Sigma 610-DG SUPER Trouble

Hi,

I recently purchased a Sigma 610-DG Super as an upgrade to the 610-DG ST.

I received it this morning and am having a little trouble, after firing the flash using the test button several times the flash fails to charge, it makes the standard charging sounds but then stops, the flash will not discharge either through the camera or through the test button.

I am also finding the the focal length of the flash does not change when the lens changes but I can change it manually using the flash menus.

Can anybody shed some light (pardon the pun) on these troubles.

Thanks,
Fred.

10-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Fred-
I can't recommend this enough, put both your camera manual and the flash manual side by side and read them carefully. Because the camera can work with several flashes, it doesn't have everything you need to know about your 610 super. And vice versa, because the flash works on a lot of Pentax bodies, its manual doesn't have everything you need to know about settings you need to make with your camera body.

The 610 super will automatically change its zoom range as you change the focal length of your DA zoom lens (I'm not sure it works with anything but a DA lens). However, the flash will read in effective focal length, where your Pentax body will read in actual focal length.

As for charging - I strongly suggest you try a fresh set of batteries rated for high power drain - for example disposable lithium batteries. It will take several charge / discharge cycles to prep your new flash's capacitors, and until that happens, charge can take longer.
10-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had a Sigma 530 Super for a day. I popped the test a few times and killed the flash bulb. Full power discharge makes them hot, and they die easy if it's repetitive.
10-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
I had a Sigma 530 Super for a day. I popped the test a few times and killed the flash bulb. Full power discharge makes them hot, and they die easy if it's repetitive.
I wonder if "several" and "few" are in the same order of magnitude? I'm thinking of "several" as 3-6; altough three times that many in a single session shouldn't make any difference either. I gather you contacted Sigma for a warranty repair?

10-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I wonder if "several" and "few" are in the same order of magnitude? I'm thinking of "several" as 3-6; altough three times that many in a single session shouldn't make any difference either. I gather you contacted Sigma for a warranty repair?
No I bought it used. There is no overheat protection in those. Even my Metz 58 warns about firing more the 10 full power every 10 (or is it 15?) minutes.