Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Filters for Mexico Trip

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have an upcoming trip to Mexico - I expect to be taking quite a few landscape, beach, perhaps even some jungle shots. Lots of activity day time and night time shots I think as well ok I hope between swimming, sleeping, drinking and eating I hope to be snapping pics.

My gear is in my sig and I think I am going to bring everything not sure. Not sure on the Bigma only because I already have all the other gear and a computer as a carry-on.

All I have is the standard UV / Sky filters for all lenses except the DA 12-24 where I have a CP,and of course no filter for the fisheye.

I suppose the sky and water are my main concerns. Also don't want to buy a new filter for each lens, or multiple filters for one lens I guess I have a couple of questions.

What type of filters should I get and what strength?

If I was going to buy multiple filters for one lens should they be bought for the 18-250 or the 28-75? I am not sure which I would use more. If I was guessing I would say the 18-250

02-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd suggest having a look at the Cokin P series filter system. You can get a series of adaptors to use 1 filter on all your lenses. So you get a filter holder and a set of step down rings and the filters you need. You can get a CPL that also fits the system so one does it all. Add a Graduated ND 2 and 4 and possibly a graduated tobacco and a soft diffuser for some fun and interesting portraits. I have this set and it's great to only buy one filter and be able to use it one all lenses (except the Bigma as I don't have an adaptor large enough - or the lens for that matter).

I'll find some examples on Ebay for you to show you what I mean.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 02-09-2008 at 07:00 AM.
02-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You'll need a CP for all the other lenses. Consider it for most of your daylight shots. I suggest a size for the largest lens and get step-up rings for the others if you're on a budget. I'd also carry a haze filter and maybe a split field filter. Should be about all you'll 'NEED', but there are a few more to consider if you think you'll have time to get creative.
02-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are the typical Chinese knock off versions but I have a few and they work just fine:

Graduated ND:
Gradual grey Colour Filter for Cokin P series - eBay (item 230219196469 end time Feb-09-08 06:04:48 PST)

This listing shows the holder mounted on a camera. The holder will take 3 stacked filters and also a 4th spot for the CPL

CPL:
CPL Polarizing Filter Kit for Cokin P Series =209 - eBay (item 150212530971 end time Feb-09-08 16:28:00 PST)

Set with holder:
Filter CPL Landscape set COKIN P series EF 24-105mm - eBay (item 160206767902 end time Feb-11-08 02:50:00 PST)

Hoods:
For Cokin P Series Hood 3x New - eBay (item 320215064703 end time Feb-11-08 10:39:58 PST)

Holder and adapter rings:
P holder & Ring set 52mm 58mm 62mm 72mm 77mm for Cokin - eBay (item 110221520052 end time Feb-11-08 08:31:34 PST)

This was just a quick search to show some examples. You can sort through these and eliminate the overlap or find better versions. But that's the parts.

Some others to look at:
9 ring + 2 holder for P-series Cokin 84mm system *NEW* - eBay (item 360021258251 end time Feb-13-08 10:03:03 PST)

Cokin filter chart:
Cokin Color Chart

02-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #5

I live in Mexico so 95% of the pictures I've taken in the last ten years have been there. The only difference will be the brilliant tropical sunlight and the dark shade, where people get out of the brilliant tropical sunlight, and I don't know of any filter that will actually help with that. I have a polarizing filter for my 16-45mm lens and will get one for my 12-34mm when someone I know is coming from the U.S.

There are some shots you just can't take. For example, at a church a friend wanted a shot of the family in the doorway of the church. With grandparents inside the doorway in shade and the parents and baby outside in the sun the shot simply wasn't possible for me. Shooting people in a shaded palapa with the beach, ocean, and sunlight behind them isn't practical.

I tried to think of something I have special for Mexico and the conditions here and I couldn't. I carry a lenspen. I have a beanbag to use to stabilize at times in interior shots of old churches. I carried my rocket blower with my IstD but with the K10D I quit carrying it. Prices here are high so bring all the accessories like SD cards and battery packs with you.

Last edited by patrickt; 02-09-2008 at 07:00 AM.
02-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'd suggest having a look at the Cokin P series filter system. You can get a series of adaptors to use 1 filter on all your lenses. So you get a filter holder and a set of step down rings and the filters you need. You can get a CPL that also fits the system so one does it all. Add a Graduated ND 2 and 4 and possibly a graduated tobacco and a soft diffuser for some fun and interesting portraits. <snip>.
Thanks Peter makes sense I will have a look (and thanks for the links!)

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
You'll need a CP for all the other lenses. Consider it for most of your daylight shots. I suggest a size for the largest lens and get step-up rings for the others if you're on a budget. I'd also carry a haze filter and maybe a split field filter. Should be about all you'll 'NEED', but there are a few more to consider if you think you'll have time to get creative.
Thanks Jim - Budget not so much a concern before we go - when I get back budget will be a concern I am off to the local shop to have a look.

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
I live in Mexico so 95% of the pictures I've taken in the last ten years have been there. <snip> Prices here are high so bring all the accessories like SD cards and battery packs with you.
Thanks Patrick local advice is invaluable. I kind of assumed most things would be very expensive so I do plan to buy whatever extra accessories I need here. I had not thought about the Rocket Blower but I think I will pack that in the suitcase - been so freaking cold here 'dust and sand' not really an issue.