Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

hand straps...useful?

Are them hand straps of any practical help?

Which ones are recommended (for a gripped and non-gripped K-5)?

I'v done a little research, the original Pentax one is quite hard to find...and it looks sort of flimsy.

Thanks in advance.

11-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like them. I'm still using the one I bought for my Spotmatic back in 1968.

I don't like the standard strap so the hand strap is usually on the camera,
11-04-2012, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
Are them hand straps of any practical help?
Absolutely. It helps tremendously, especially with a heavy lens and a flash attached.

QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
Which ones are recommended (for a gripped and non-gripped K-5)?
This:

But when you need your hands free, it's a sling strap (sorry for the ugly "model"):

Last edited by SOldBear; 11-04-2012 at 09:35 PM.
11-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
HSV
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That one is sort of interesting. What's the model and how did you get it?

I was thinking of getting one of those CustomSLR sling things and a hand strap...if your setup can perform as both and securely, I would like to try it out.

On another topic, I just can't seem to trust those Rapid (something like that, brand) slings that hold on to the body with a plain bolt (heard about a dozen horror stories about them)...I think that with a plate is a lot more secure.

11-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Note: I post the links to Amazon because it is convenient to do so. I didn't necessarily buy the items from Amazon, nor endorse Amazon.

I use tripod quite often, so I need an Arca-Swiss Quick Release Plate by Cowboystudio (you can tell that I'm cheap ) -> linky.

The sling strap is Op/Tech -> linky.

I just use the above as is. But if you are a big guy, you may need the whole thing (with the shoulder thingy) -> linky.

To make the "hand grip" adjustable, I use an Op/Tech webbing connector attached to the quick release plate -> linky. For better photo and description -> linky.

Read this thread -> linky.

Last edited by SOldBear; 11-04-2012 at 09:59 PM.
11-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine is a wrist strap. The camera hangs from the wrist.

Last Sunday I thought I'd try the sling strap again. During the walk it slipped undone and my K7 and new Sigma 30mm f1.4 dropped to the ground - fortunately onto grass from only about hip height.
11-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Last Sunday I thought I'd try the sling strap again. During the walk it slipped undone and my K7 and new Sigma 30mm f1.4 dropped to the ground - fortunately onto grass from only about hip height.
Can you please post the brand/model of the sling strap, and the details as how "it slipped undone" so we all can learn for your experience. Thanks.

11-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
HSV
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Soldbear for the explanations...cool setup.

p38arover, please post more about your strap and experience. This will help a lot of DSLR users to avoid potentially "catastrophic" incidents.
11-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a neck strap on my 105-R and almost every time I take it off, it hits me in the head. Wrist straps (on any camera) always seem to get wrapped around my wrist which makes it difficult to use.
11-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use both the Black Rapid sling and Holdfast camera leash. The latter I use whenever I'm in an environment where I can set the camera down once I'm done with it.
11-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the genuine Pentax leather hand strap (PENTAX - DSLR Leather Hand Strap), and I absolutely love it. I use it all the time on my K-7when I travel. Once adjusted right (i.e. not too tight and not too loose), you can simply let the camera "dangle" from your hand without actually holding it. Mind you, the largest/heaviest lens I use in this setting is a DA12-24, and most often a small prime is fitted to the camera. It is not as pleasant with heavier lenses (eg. Sigma 50-150/2.8, the largest lens I own), but then again neither is a neck strap.
11-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I have 3 different styles. The Original Pentax, a Chinese Clone, and a Leather Wrist strap.
The Chinese Clone isn't worth Purchasing. Nice Leather, well padded, but the Webbing is too thin. It's more like a ribbon than Webbing
and needs to be adjusted constantly.
The Pentax is great, I've used it on the K20D and ist D, and like RBellavance says, adjustment is everything. It's a bit awkward using it
while the Grip is mounted on the D.
The wrist strap I'm starting to favor over the other 2. Nice stout webbing, good leather, and a bit freer motion when shooting. Works well
on my m4/3's kit also.
11-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I suppose hand straps are useful, but I like to be able to have my hands free, so I use the neck strap - though I carry the camera in my left hand.
11-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I suppose hand straps are useful, but I like to be able to have my hands free, so I use the neck strap....
That's why I have both with my setup - hand strap during shooting sprees, and sling strap in between.
11-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've used Camdapter Grip straps on all of my DSLRs for about 8 years and can't be happier. I like the soft Kidskin Prostrap the best, but have a now discontinued suede model mounted on my K-7 so I can distinguish it from my K-5 in the bag by feel.I use the Camdapter Arca base plate, but if I had to do it again, I'd save some money and buy the Cowboy studio plates and get the straps from Camdapter. Before them I used a cheap version, a Hakuba Grip LH, but really didn't trust the plastic base plate. I also tried the Nikon gripstrap, which looks to be the same as the official Pentax one and didn't like it as it was too restrictive.

When out, I keep a neckstrap equipped with metal quick detach clips ("S" carabiners would also work) in a pocket or around my waist for times that I need both hands free. I can clip the neckstrap to the triangular split rings in a few seconds, and detach them just as quickly to keep the neckstrap from getting in my way while shooting.

Scott