Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Do your parents know you are on this forum sir/ma'am????

Seriously, good on ya for getting started early and for asking questions before you buy if at all possible take a picture and post it here. Ask them to hold it for you while you make a decision and then make sure to get any info written on the tripod like brand names and model numbers so you can research it.
Ma'am and yes, I'm already 13 too.
I don't think they can hold things (it's in a huge repurposed warehouse that one once part of the Durham Tobacco Campus) but I doubt anyone will buy it. That isn't the only tripod they have, their specialty is repurposing things into art, not photography.

11-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
Ma'am and yes, I'm already 13 too.
Gal, not guy then, sorry.
11-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Ok, but don't feel you need to buy it just cause it is there -- cheap tripods are very easy to find, trust me. You can get a half-decent one on Amazon for like $20-$30. In fact, if you really are in middle school, and I have no reason to disbelieve you, then we need to encourage your photography. Let's take a collection and buy this guy a brand-new but not expensive tripod, ok? I'm in for $10. Anybody with me? ($30 ought to cover it.)
Guy? Anyhow I couldn't accept that. I'm thinking I'll look deeper into the tripods they carry. Even if I don't finish my research while I'm there it won't be a trip wasted, I need some hubcaps and other random things.
11-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ASheffield Quote
I need some hubcaps and other random things.
You're a pretty cool 13 year old if you already need hubcaps! About the tripod though, just make sure whichever one you get has a solid threaded bolt up top to attach a tripod head too. Some come with heads that are not removable and I don't think those are a good idea. Typically they are 1/4 inch threaded or 3/8 inch threaded bolts. The 3/8 is beefier and better in my opinion. If you get one like this you can switch heads out down the road when you get more gear and you need different tripod heads to suit your style of photography.

11-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Both of my Pentaxes came from the same place and they run on film. Don't worry that's normal for me I have vinyl LPs, encyclopedias and phonebooks.
11-06-2012, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Do you get tired of babysitting your parents all the time??
11-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian

You're a pretty cool 13 year old if you already need hubcaps! About the tripod though, just make sure whichever one you get has a solid threaded bolt up top to attach a tripod head too. Some come with heads that are not removable and I don't think those are a good idea. Typically they are 1/4 inch threaded or 3/8 inch threaded bolts. The 3/8 is beefier and better in my opinion. If you get one like this you can switch heads out down the road when you get more gear and you need different tripod heads to suit your style of photography.
A removable head would be very unusual to find in store like that, although many of those aluminum ones that have taken over the low-end market the last 10 years or so often have a removable plastic plate (very often broken or missing). But I regularly see heavy old tripods (decades old) in those kind of stores -- they usually have the twist locks that are impossible to operate...

11-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I still think buy it (assuming it's cheap)

Yes, a $500 Manfrotto tripod will be super sturdy and let you take still images during a tornado, where a $20 cheap one might start rocking in a small breeze.

But the way I look at it is that the $20 cheap tripod will still be a lot more sturdy than trying to handhold a 1sec exposure, (and you can also do things like add weight etc to make it more stable)

As long as the tripod isn't broken the worst you'll lose is $20 (even if you decide you don't like it)
11-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you get tired of babysitting your parents all the time??
I have over $600 in the State Employees Credit Union but I'm going to buy a Bel Air.
11-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I still think buy it (assuming it's cheap)

Yes, a $500 Manfrotto tripod will be super sturdy and let you take still images during a tornado, where a $20 cheap one might start rocking in a small breeze.

But the way I look at it is that the $20 cheap tripod will still be a lot more sturdy than trying to handhold a 1sec exposure, (and you can also do things like add weight etc to make it more stable)

As long as the tripod isn't broken the worst you'll lose is $20 (even if you decide you don't like it)
I've thought about that too. I'm deciding between a new tripod and a used car or a used tripod and two used cars.
11-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Tripod easily.

Two cars sounds cool, but you may as well throw your money into a bottomless pit.

I have two cars, and it's just a waste of money.
When one's running, the other's broken.

(this is coming from a car guy, even my girlfriend is into cars, she's got 3 of her own)

Also, being 13, there's not much you can do with a car. If you intend to restore an old one, one will be plenty of work until you're old enough to drive. (there's a 1949 MG in our shed waiting to be restored as I speak....... and a Volvo ex-rally car that's also waiting to be finished)
11-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Tripod easily.

Two cars sounds cool, but you may as well throw your money into a bottomless pit.

I have two cars, and it's just a waste of money.
When one's running, the other's broken.

(this is coming from a car guy, even my girlfriend is into cars, she's got 3 of her own)

Also, being 13, there's not much you can do with a car. If you intend to restore an old one, one will be plenty of work until you're old enough to drive. (there's a 1949 MG in our shed waiting to be restored as I speak....... and a Volvo ex-rally car that's also waiting to be finished)
One would be for shows and my dad said I could have his car.
11-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Which cameras should I bring on holiday?

I'm going to Sunset Beach in December and if I brought all my cameras my suitcase would be full.
Here's what I've got:

Pentax
Pentax 105-R
Pentax IQ Zoom 835

Non-Pentax
Ricoh AF-45
Sony MVC-CD300
Sony DCR-DVD100*
Nikon Coolpix S220
Vivitar DVR 426HD*
Canon A550
Flip HDSlide*

*Camcorder
11-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Tripods are very useful, I bought a small used one some time ago (non-collapsible, it uses a weird system). Just make sure all its hinges and joints work, that its not too flimsy or bent in any place. And that the little screw at the top where you mount the camera is of correct size for your camera. This is pretty standard now, but if its an old tripod it might be different

Also, you can just sell those cameras and get a trendy K-01
11-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I look at it like this.... you are only using half of your camera if you do not own a tripod ! Look at how many shutter speeds you have, and look how many of them you can not use hand held