Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Ooh, nasty. Hope they have some pretty good heat traps to go with that... My favourite've always been self-locking tweezers or veno clamps for bigger jobs. Taught myself to solder with 46 gauge wire; just figuring out how to strip it was fun...

11-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
If you have soldering skills (or you know someone that does) and suitable fine tip iron, hard wire from SD card contacts to USB card reader, ... think "Alien" and wiring up Bishops Head !

Ooh, nasty. Hope they have some pretty good heat traps to go with that... My favourite've always been self-locking tweezers or veno clamps for bigger jobs. Taught myself to solder with 46 gauge wire; just figuring out how to strip it was fun...
11-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I could probably hard wire the contacts worst-case as I'm pretty good at soldering, but for now, I've ordered 4 different readers. Hopefully one of them works!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
I did say some soldering "skills" & suitable equipment, shouldn't need heat clamps, really this should really be a piece of cake to someone with experience. Its a one time operation just solder a fine wire to each of the card contacts and same inside usb reader, extract the data and then throw it all in the bin.

11-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I could probably hard wire the contacts worst-case as I'm pretty good at soldering, but for now, I've ordered 4 different readers. Hopefully one of them works!
Good luck. The one that worked for me is a USB 2.0 external cheap one marked "dreamGEAR". Not sure how that helps you but there it is.
11-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was thinking further of your problem last night as I was working on a couple of audio recording products that use SD cards and looking at the internal construction of the card sockets, I feel its more likely the internals of the card is the issue rather than a contact problem, If the contact surfaces look ok and its only the plastic slithers between the contacts which have broken away then provided they are fully broken away and not in a position to foul the contacts then the finger like contacts of the reader socket should still contact ok. I think you are probably seeing that as the cause because that's what you can "see" is wrong. If a different type of socket makes it work then its more likely exerting more pressure on the internal parts of the card rather than contacts. Good luck with the card readers, I would now suggest you only solder to the card as an absolutely last resort as if your card readers don't work then soldering to the contacts is probably not going to work either, and there's no coming back after that. Perhaps a spring loaded peg or paper clamp on the middle of the card may work -its a long shot. Good luck.
11-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
This card reader did the trick:
Amazon.com: Moultrie Usb Multi Card Reader: Sports & Outdoors

I'll post some pics of the actual card later

Now I have 3 other readers which need to hit the marketplace

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

A couple of prizes for the wooden spoon next photo challenge? lol
11-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Nope lol, doubt anyone would want them as a prize. The funny thing is that this broken card didn't have the photos I expected it to contain, but luckily, I ended up finding them later on an external drive

Adam

11-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Nope lol, doubt anyone would want them as a prize.
hence the 'wooden spoon' - For those who come last
11-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Glad it worked for you and you recovered your photos.