Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Broken SD memory card

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So the casing of one of my older SD cards has basically come apart, and some of the teeth between the data pins have also broken loose, preventing my K-5 or my PC from reading it.

My old laptop was able to read the broken card, but ironically, it too shit the bed, and there are some photos on this card that I really want to post...

Any ideas on how to recover the data?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So the casing of one of my older SD cards has basically come apart, and some of the teeth between the data pins have also broken loose, preventing my K-5 or my PC from reading it.

My old laptop was able to read the broken card, but ironically, it too shit the bed, and there are some photos on this card that I really want to post...

Tough one, but you might be able to use some conductive glue to fix the loose data pins.
11-07-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Maybe try a couple of memory card readers? They might recreate the compression that I assume the old laptop put on the card and re-make the broken connections. Or you could try putting strips of tape on the card to apply pressure when inserted into a card slot.
11-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I had something like that happen and the one thing that worked was a cheap external USB card reader. It seemed to me it compressed from the top and bottom instead of gripping the card from the sides as most slots/readers do.

11-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If it is just a matter of top-to-bottom compression an external reader would be my choice, combined with some means of compression. Options that come to mind are the previously mentioned tape, light-duty pliers or vise grip, or tension-adjustable spring clamp. Just be sure not to use excessive pressure which might crack the housing entirely and ensure the pressure is evenly distributed. I would start with slight pressure and if it doesn't work, only increase the pressure in small steps. And may the memory gods be with you
11-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'll guess I'll roll the dice and buy a few cheap external readers! Wish I could get my old laptop fixed...

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Inactive Account

All the £ shops over here sell them, so I reckon you'll probably find some at $ stores over there. Not too huge an outlay either if that doesn't work for you.

11-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I suggest sacrificing a cheaparse SD reader, breaking it open to the extent necessary, and simply clamping or taping the remains of your card into it if that is still possible.
11-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Do you have one of the USB SD type readers available? You could try to jury rig it in one of those and then insert it into the usb of a desk top.
11-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Boot old laptop with linux distro cd
11-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Do you have one of the USB SD type readers available? You could try to jury rig it in one of those and then insert it into the usb of a desk top.
That's actually what I was thinking, (and possibly someone else before, now that I read carefully.) If it's plain old SD, I might have a suitable bit kicking around here, actually. A couple pieces fell off but it still worked till even smaller cards went HC.

Also, I've had another thing which is a curiosity in its own right. I can't remember if I sent it north with sweetie or not, but apparently at some point it made sense to a company put plain old SD card readers in in like old modem casings. I think it was an older protocol and cost a quarter, but it had the virtue of being big and white and something my sweetie couldn't lose. It may or may not still be here somewhere, but it ought to be eminently-take-apart-able.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-07-2012 at 08:49 PM.
11-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Boot old laptop with linux distro cd
Can't lol, the motherboard's basically melted.

Adam

11-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'll guess I'll roll the dice and buy a few cheap external readers! Wish I could get my old laptop fixed...
I would 2nd that. external reader might help.
11-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have soldering skills (or you know someone that does) and suitable fine tip iron, hard wire from SD card contacts to USB card reader, ... think "Alien" and wiring up Bishops Head !
11-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I'm sure you've already considered one of these, but they let you get your hard drive back for pennies. I have three drives in these. Don't ask why... BLACK 2.5" INCH USB 2.0 EXTERNAL SATA HARD HDD DISK DRIVE CASE ENCLOSURE CADDY | eBay