Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #31
Banned

I just bought a Lowepro Adventure 250 for about $80 and it is quite nice. In some respects, comically large, but not if I'm seriously traveling and want to put my cam and laptop in one package. I can totally see this coming in handy and if I reduce the number of lenses, I'll have room for clothes and amenities for weekend trips.

As it's impractical for use out in the field and traveling, I bought a Manfrotto Unica V from Amazon's warehouse deals. We'll see if that works a bit better for when I want to travel lighter for a day trip. Outside of that, I have a Tamrac bag that's only big enough for the cam, so it would be nice to have something truly in between.

Nothing I've seen can hold a tripod, at least not without being comical in dimensions. I've carried mine in a backpack, which isn't optimal, but it worked, nonetheless.

11-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Which shoulder bag? I'm always looking. I had found Mountain Equipment Coop's Velocio bag, but the small is too small for me, and the large too large. They need a medium
mia-deluca-cognac-trend-cross-body-bag this is the bag, but mine is in a red, although I do wish I had spotted this brown one first! I bought it in store, it was way cheaper than online. Hehe probably not the style you're looking for :P
11-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I bought a Manfrotto Unica V
This one was on my list, but I saw a video of it on Youtube and the bag is really big, way too big for my needs. And you can only place velcro dividers on part of it, apparently. Some people use a Tenba insert to use the main compartment only for photogear.

The Unica 3 is smaller, but a bit too small actually I did say I'm hard to please.

Nothing I've seen can hold a tripod, at least not without being comical in dimensions.
I don't mind a bag that's a bit smaller than the tripod, if I can carry it easily from place to place.

I've carried mine in a backpack, which isn't optimal
I do that too. I have a small sling bag or traveling light (1-2 lenses), a backpack with water bladder section and an insert for my photo gear (it carries my monopod or tripod easily) and I want the messenger bag for when I switch lenses often.

QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
Hehe probably not the style you're looking for
Not quite, no. For a Jennifer it's probably great, doesn't look like a camera bag, and works quite well. I'm looking for something a bit more masculine
11-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #34

BTW you might want to check out Zappos.com, they have a good selection of bags but what I really like about their shop is that they have videos on all of their products.

11-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

bdery it sounds like you like Tenba some, and they do make a larger messenger bag than the small, which would carry your kit. It is mostly just thicker front to back, not really wider than small. I use the large Tenba messenger bag and it works very well. I carry a K5 w/ battery grip & large Camdapter hand strap, three DA Ltds, a Metz 50AF-1 flash, an iPad (interchangeable with the k5 and Metz owners manual if around home), spare batteries, remotes and a rocket blower. There is additional room at that point if I were to need it. I never use the large flap as the zipper slit opening allows easy access to everything in the main compartment. As far as carrying a tripod I wouldn't say you couldn't, it depends on size and design. I think a monopod would fit better, obviously. The one down side of my Tenba, is it is not waterproof on the top as sold. So I just carry a couple plastic kitchen trash bags in one of the many extra little pockets for insurance, but have yet to need it. Lastly the build quality is top notch.
11-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I've got the Ari Marcopoulos messenger bag and LOVE it.

http://goincase.com/ari/
11-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Just a suggestion, and with no intention of being snarky, but B&H does let you filter on almost all of the items you are looking for, including straps for holding a tripod. A quick look suggests your optiops are a little limited once you discount the manfrotto bags.

I was actually in a similar bind for a couple months, although I had slightly different criteria for a messenger bag. I had taken a very close look at the Naneu shoulder bags. No flap and no dedicated tripod straps, but there was a dedicated shoulder bag capable of holding a DSLR and a couple lenes and flash with enough tie points that would let you rig something up.

11-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidlapper Quote
bdery it sounds like you like Tenba some, and they do make a larger messenger bag than the small, which would carry your kit. It is mostly just thicker front to back, not really wider than small.
My gripe with the Tenba is just that : they're thick Otherwise they look very well made. But I'd like a long and thin bag that hugs my hips and doesn't get in the way. The Lowepro Pro messenger has the same flaw.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
Just a suggestion, and with no intention of being snarky, but B&H does let you filter on almost all of the items you are looking for, including straps for holding a tripod. A quick look suggests your optiops are a little limited once you discount the manfrotto bags.
I did use that, but it's not an accurate tool when you go into fine details like a place for the tripod, for instance. The results are not right half the time. And the Manfrotto only hold the brand's mini tripods They look well made though.

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
I've got the Ari Marcopoulos messenger bag and LOVE it.
Where can it be bought? Haven't found it in Canada. There is a zipper but the opening seems large enough still.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
look at the Naneu shoulder bags
Same problem as my current bag, narrow opening closed with a zipper.

The best choice seems to be the Timbuk2 small snoop, for me. I saw theit Classic Messenger and the size is fine, I just haven't seen their insert but I was able to place my own cheap insert ni the bag and it fit well.
11-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Vanguard XCenior 30?
Name:  vanuard-xsenior30-reduced.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  45.0 KB
11-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Vanguard looks well made (I can vouch for their tripod heads) but like many other bags, it's too thick. One of my criteria is for the bag to be thin (for instance, I like the camera body to be at 90° from the one on the Vanguard product shots).