Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

Pentax Limited Lens Case

Just came across this at B&H:

Pentax DA Limited Lens Case 2 (Black) 85230 B&H Photo Video

Was out of stock when I saw it a few days ago, but seems to be in stock now.

Looks bigger than the original one that stores about 3 lenses, but maybe better if you have most of the limiteds! jealous!
Can probably be used to store pancakes in addition to smaller (thinner) zooms.

11-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Woo-hoo!! Been wanting this for a long time. Thanks for the tip!
11-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

comes with the adjustable shoulder strap and holds up to 5 five DA limited lenses! I'm in for 1!
11-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it works for you, great, but I'm not in favor of a case that can dump all five lenses out at one time - plus I don't have the 35 :-(

11-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'm not in favor of a case that can dump all five lenses out at one time
Yeah, that worries me too, but I read in a review of the original version of the case that you can easily use velcro ties to secure each lens to the case to prevent that from happening.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
plus I don't have the 35 :-(
Yep, so maybe this is the reason why I have to add it to my collection?? Heh heh. But I assume/hope that my FA 35 will fit along with my other 4 DA limiteds...
11-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It should also fit the FA Ltds with ease, plus one other (FA20/2.8, for example) as my earlier 3-compartment DA case would fit the 43 and the 77 plus the 20, but the 31 had to stay elsewhere. Even so, it was a squeeze.

I like the idea of the Velcro ties - thanks for that.
11-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
This is what I was afraid of if I got it. Couldn't stand a half-full lens case! Hope I'm not kicking myself for not buying the case now

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Yeah, that worries me too, but I read in a review of the original version of the case that you can easily use velcro ties to secure each lens to the case to prevent that from happening.

Yep, so maybe this is the reason why I have to add it to my collection?? Heh heh. But I assume/hope that my FA 35 will fit along with my other 4 DA limiteds...

11-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a cool case! I never knew it was a genuine Pentax product.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

of course, as soon as I went to try to order this (once they started taking orders on Saturday night), it says "temporarily out of stock." So maybe they never had any in stock, or just 1, but in any case, I missed out!
11-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Perhaps they only manufactured one unit

I like the design of this one better, looks like the lenses are held in more securely because the lower section is deeper and the lenses sit further down into the case. I dont think velcro tethers would be necessary.

The previous version was split across the centre so that the lower section and the hinged lid were the same size. Lenses were easy to get out but also could more easily fall out

IIRC the earlier version was made for Pentax by CaseLogic
11-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

now back in stock, I just ordered one!
11-26-2012, 05:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

50 bucks. that's steep...
11-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For a small case the price might seem to be a little steep, but I believe it's about the same price I paid for the original one a couple of years back. I have a couple of those and in addition to being very well built they hold most any of the 49mm and 52mm filter sized Pentax lenses, now if it wasn't temporarily out of stock.....
12-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Just got one as a Christmas present due to Adam's email to all members about possible presents. My wife gets those emails and B&H had them in stock, so I am now the proud owner of one. A question though, it has 2 hard dividers with velcro tabs and 4 soft cloth flaps with velcro tabs - why the two types? Here are some pics with my limiteds plus one in the case.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
12-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two of the original 3 lens Limited cases and now this new one. All are fantastic products. The FA31 fits fine in the earlier 3 lens version and is a bit tighter in the newer 5 lens case which seems to have a bit smaller diameter. It only holds 4 lenses for me due to my specific kit so I've been using the 15, 21, 43 and 77 as my "Limited Bazooka".

Switched the shoulder strap to the padded clip-on strap from the FA* 80-200 as it has a step stronger clips, fatter webbing and a sliding shoulder pad. Stock one is OK, I just had a better one sitting unused...plus I slip a small case with the K-01 (plus spare battery, SD cards and Polarizer) onto the strap to carry the four lenses and a body taking up barely more space than a seatbelt strap. Neat little minimalist kit when that's my plan.

When you examine the case you'll find that it's a good value at $50. It has strong sewn-in metal loops on each end of the zipper for the strap or for strapping to luggage or other camera bags, comes with multiple lens separators, it's a semi-hard case with a rigid liner--not just a soft case, and comes with a shoulder strap. I recommend it highly. You won't be disappointed when your order arrives.