Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Transcend SDHC WIFI Class 10 Cards

Transcend have recently announced 16 and 32 GB SDHC WIFI Class 10 cards offering real time connectivity to tablets, notebooks etc. I notice on their camera compatibility page that the Pentax K-r is the only DSLR listed. I assume that the other Pentax DSLRs would also be compatible. I can't see what differences there would be between the models to make them non-compatible.

If all is well it will provide an instant review facility in the field.

David

11-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would also save the "Damn, left the SD card in the card reader at home" moment like I experienced today, as I imagine you could upload via a home wifi router as well.
11-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well the K-r has this strange IR-system connection, so it is different from other Pentax camera's in that way, but no idea if that makes a diffenrence with working on this card.
11-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Here are some specs:
  • View photos (JPG, BMP, PNG)
  • Playback videos (AVI, MOV, MP4, M2T, MTS, M2TS)
  • Instantly share picture/video files wirelessly
  • Wi-Fi encryption by WEP/WPA/WPA2
  • 3 devices can stream different content simultaneously
  • Supports iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X
  • Special App for iOS & Android devices
  • Shoot & View on iOS and Android devices
  • Upload photos directly to social networking profile
  • SDHC Class 10 speed rating
Transcend’s Wi-Fi SD card instantly adds wireless capability to your digital camera, letting you stream photos and videos to portable devices without the hassle of using cables, card readers or a computer. Take advantage of the high resolution of your digital camera and the versatility of your smartphone or tablet to share beautifully captured photos to the world as soon as you take them. With the free to download Wi-Fi SD app, you can capture stunningly detailed pictures on your camera and download them to your iOS and Android device quickly and easily. Wi-Fi SD card content is automatically organized into a simple file system, letting you search and download what you want, when you want. Direct Share mode activates the Wi-Fi SD card’s own dedicated wireless signal to create peer-to-peer connections between the Wi-Fi SD card and your mobile device. Perfect for use on outdoor adventures and fun filled vacations, Direct Share allows you to share your whole collection with up to three devices wherever you go. Internet Mode allows the Wi-Fi SD card to connect to the Internet via a nearby wireless Internet hotspot or even using the personal hotspot feature of your smartphone or tablet. By using this connection, you can download photos from the card and then email to friends or upload them to your favorite websites. With the Wi-Fi SD card’s unique Shoot & View feature, you can snap photos on your camera and view them instantly on the large screen of your iOS or Android device. Once downloaded, you can then use popular and sophisticated photo editing apps to manipulate the image immediately before sharing with friends and family. Thanks to the Wi-Fi SD App’s instant share function, you can upload photos to your social networking profile in just a few easy steps. Featuring the top-of-the-line Class 10 speed rating, Transcend Wi-Fi SD cards help to process data quickly and unlock the full potential of your digital camera. Using a barcode scanner App and the camera on your iPhone, iPad or Android device scan the suitable QR code for the easiest and quickest way to download the free Wi-Fi SD App. Alternatively, open the App Store, Google Play or Amazon Appstore and search for "Wi-Fi SD". Select the suitable Wi-Fi SD App (iPhone, iPad, Android, or Kindle Fire version). Follow the device instructions to complete installation. (*In Direct Share mode, the Wi-Fi SD card only supports WPA2 encryption.)

11-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The price seems reasonable vs. Eye-fi. I have an eye-fi card that I was planning on using with an android tablet, but I always seemed to have problems with it, and I don't like the eye-fi software. Hoping Transcend does a better job. I guess we'll have to wait to see.
11-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
The price seems reasonable vs. Eye-fi. I have an eye-fi card that I was planning on using with an android tablet, but I always seemed to have problems with it, and I don't like the eye-fi software. Hoping Transcend does a better job. I guess we'll have to wait to see.
Agreed - the Eye-fi card can do a lot, but it takes a whole bunch of minor tweaks to get it perfectly setup...and then more tweaks if you want to change it. If they can make the software side more user friendly I'm in for one of these. To credit the Eye-fi, they really do try to make it simple, but there are just too many available options!
11-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
I notice on their camera compatibility page that the Pentax K-r is the only DSLR listed.
Any camera that specifically supports an Eye-Fi chip should work with this chip. Check the manual.

I just checked prices on Amazon and the 16GB card is within a few pennies of the comparable Eye-Fi 16GB / class 10 card. It doesn't look like Eye-Fi currently has a 32GB / class 10 card.

Last edited by JimJohnson; 11-15-2012 at 05:49 PM.
11-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm more interested in how fast it can transfer over wifi. The EyeFi can only do about 17Mbit/sec IIRC...and it can't do transfers while you're using the card for preview, etc.
I doubt you'll be able to do more than 2MB JPEG transfers from it w/o being annoyed at the slow transfer time :-P

01-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Has anyone used one of these yet? For half the price of Eye-fi, it might be worth looking into.
I have several Eye-Fi cards, but one note that really interested me with Transcend was that up to three devices could be able to access the card.
Not going to be the most efficient (for access speed nor camera's battery life), but it would be great to download to the computer and to a tablet at the same time when shooting events.
At the moment I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up a live web server on the laptop to "bounce" photos to those devices that can connect.... Just need a second wi-fi device for the laptop and software to make it work. :-(
01-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Has anyone used one of these yet? For half the price of Eye-fi, it might be worth looking into.
I have several Eye-Fi cards, but one note that really interested me with Transcend was that up to three devices could be able to access the card.
Not going to be the most efficient (for access speed nor camera's battery life), but it would be great to download to the computer and to a tablet at the same time when shooting events.
At the moment I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up a live web server on the laptop to "bounce" photos to those devices that can connect.... Just need a second wi-fi device for the laptop and software to make it work. :-(
They don't appear to be getting rave reviews at Amazon.
Amazon.com: Transcend Information 16 GB Wi-Fi SDHC Class 10 Memory Card (TS16GWSDHC10): TRANSCEND: Electronics