Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What's with this battery? Seems hard to find...

Looking for a D-LI108 for an Optio RS1500. Most of the major electronics online retailers I've checked don't seem to have it; local electronics shop has to check with their "parts dept" & don't seem to be able to get hold of them... One online retailer has it for $60 (more than I paid for the camera) & then there are some on eBay (China, of course) for, like, $4.
Is this a particularly hard battery to find? Is there another code # for it that I could search for?
Even the Pentax.ca website didn't tell me anything.

11-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera's been discontinued for almost a year now, that's probably why it's so hard to find.

With that said, B&H has it in stock:
Pearstone D-Li108 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (3.7V, 720mAh) LI-42B

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, Manitoba, Canada
I have a couple of fleabay knockoffs that I use in my K-r that I can't tell the difference between them and the Pentax branded one. I know that's a different one (DLi109) from the one you are looking for, but I'd thought I'd let you know of my experience.

I found the info Adam found but his fingers were quicker so I deleted that part of my message.

If it were me, I'd try fleabay.

bigted

Last edited by bigted; 11-15-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Adam beat me to the details
11-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I looked at B&H... they want $15 for shipping for the $17 battery; sigh...
Having looked at "fleabay", I have another question...
The Pentax battery says "typ.720mAh(2.6Wh); min.700mAh". A fleabay one says 1200mAh.
I get it (I think) that mAh refers to the capacity of the battery; the higher the mAh the longer it lasts; but why such a difference? Can you damage something by using 2 such different-rated batteries? (I wouldn't expect the Chinese knockoff battery to have as much capacity as it says... but...?)
Why wouldn't the Pentax-made battery have better capacity than the knockoffs; or is it that the knockoffs are overstating their capacity?
I sure don't want to fork out more than I have to even though I can write it off as expense...
(Yes, I'm cheap!!)

11-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
I looked at B&H... they want $15 for shipping for the $17 battery; sigh...
Having looked at "fleabay", I have another question...
The Pentax battery says "typ.720mAh(2.6Wh); min.700mAh". A fleabay one says 1200mAh.
I get it (I think) that mAh refers to the capacity of the battery; the higher the mAh the longer it lasts; but why such a difference? Can you damage something by using 2 such different-rated batteries? (I wouldn't expect the Chinese knockoff battery to have as much capacity as it says... but...?)
Why wouldn't the Pentax-made battery have better capacity than the knockoffs; or is it that the knockoffs are overstating their capacity?
I sure don't want to fork out more than I have to even though I can write it off as expense...
(Yes, I'm cheap!!)
Two reasons for the difference. When the original was designed 2+ years ago the tech was softer than it is now on batteries AND it is a non-branded battery so the mAh is somewhat suspect. Those fleabay batteries are hit-or-miss for endurance but I've never had one that was DOA either. The capacity isn't related to the operating voltage/wattage. As long as those match it should be fine. No reason to apologize for being cheap, I love a bargain myself. For $4 I'd get a couple and rotate them. My daughter has a 1500 (it was REALLY cheap at end of lifecycle and she wanted the inserts that can change the look of the camera) so I might just have to get one of the $4 fleabay batteries myself so she has a backup.
11-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So they can just make bigger capacity batteries now?
This was what I found regarding mAh:
QuoteQuote:
Milliamp Hour (mAh)
Milliamps Hour (mAh) is important because it's the easiest way to distinguish the strength or capacity of a battery. The higher the mAh, the longer the battery will last. Batteries with different mAh ratings are interchangeable. If your battery is rechargeable then the mAh rating is how long the battery will last per charge.

Milliamps Hour is 1/1000th of a Amp Hour, so a 1000mAh = 1.0Ah Think of a cars gas tank. Voltage is how much gas is being used, and mAh is the size of the gas tank. The bigger the gas tank (mAh) rating the longer the device will run. If your battery is rechargeable, then think of the gas tank as refillable (rechargeable).

Which implies that even if it's really 1200 vs 700 it should be ok, so I guess I will try a couple. It's not like I need it to last for days; I just don't want it to crap out in the middle of something important & not have a spare!
Thank you, guys.
11-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
So they can just make bigger capacity batteries now?
This was what I found regarding mAh:

Which implies that even if it's really 1200 vs 700 it should be ok, so I guess I will try a couple. It's not like I need it to last for days; I just don't want it to crap out in the middle of something important & not have a spare!
Thank you, guys.
It's like a lot of things -they can fit more into less. That said Chinese no name batteries are often ok but the capacity is often over stated as a sales tactic.

11-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I figured. But if it's even as good as the older battery I have now it would be ok; I only have one & it doesn't last too long. I don't use the Optio for "serious photography" -- that would be the K1000!!
It's great how fast one can get answers on this forum!
11-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Amazon has Wasabi brand replacement kits that include two batteries and charger for $20. I use Wasabi batteries for my K-5 and cant tell the difference from the Pentax branded ones.http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-D-LI108/dp/B004ANF9W2/ref...wasabi+D-LI108
11-16-2012, 05:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roob-N-Boots Quote
Amazon has Wasabi brand replacement kits that include two batteries and charger for $20. I use Wasabi batteries for my K-5 and cant tell the difference from the Pentax branded ones.Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax Optio D-LI108, D-LI63, D-L1108, D-L163, D-L108, L36, L40, LS1000, M30, M40, M90, M900, RS1000, RS1500, T30, V10, W30: Camera & Photo
Nice find! I really like Wasabi, never any problems with their batteries and I like their chargers better than the Pentax models.