Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Filter Questions

Just ordered my new Tamron 17-50/2.8 today and was wanting to grab a filter for it. I currently have a cheap CPL (Zeikos brand) for my 18-55 kit lens and was wanting to get a filter or two for my new lens. It's 67mm. I like the glare reducing of my CPL, and was wanting a little nicer quality than the one I have. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on the filters, but if I could get 2 good quality ones for maybe $50 or so, that'd be great! I know Hoya makes a 67mm CPL for about $35 (Hoya 67mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter B67CRPL B&H Photo) and Tiffen makes one for about $10 cheaper. Would these be good options for a CPL?

In your opinion, what are the 2 most useful filters available? I mostly do portrait/family shots with the occasional landscape thrown in.

11-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my opinion the only filters needed on digital are a good CPL and a set of ND filters. I guess I would add a set of graduated NDs as well but I prefer the square Cokin style for those.

B+W is very good as well as the Hoya Pro line. Here is a link to a review and test of various CPLs Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Just remember anything you put in front of your lens will degrade the image to some degree. The better the filter the less degradation but it will always be there. You just have to decide if the improvement of the image by the filter is enough to overcome the degradation of the image caused by putting the filter on in the first place. A good CPL is a real work horse a cheap one just wastes money and your time.
11-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately the B+W is a bit out of my price range. Hoya Pro is pushing it a bit also... I saw on that review that there is a Marumi for about $55 and a King for about $35. Are these brands any good? The Marumi came in 4th overall on lenstip.com, and the King was 12.
11-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If price is a consideration (and it always is) consider a linear polarizer (LPL)--and even cheaper a used one--as lot's people have dumped them for CPL. For pentax dslr it should make no difference and if/in the rare case where it does, it is easy enough to notice/correct for (and it doesn't for me w/ K20D).

11-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What's the difference in LPL and CPL?
11-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Functionally the difference between linear and circular polarizing filters--some auto focus systems and some exposure metering systems apparently don't work well with linear PL. My understanding is the Pentax metering system has no problems with linear PL, and some say occasionally it may affect Pentax auto focus.
11-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a couple of Tiffens & like them. There are some 67s on eBay at the moment at decent prices. I once did a photo workshop with Darwin Wiggett & he was talking about the advantages of a warming filter, I think it was, to punch up colours a bit, & I think he showed me through his camera to demonstrate it was better, or something... I said something like "I don't see the difference; it looks like mine." He looked at mine & said "Oh, you have a Tiffen. So you don't need the other filter too." I forget the details, but the gist of it was that I was pleased to learn I had a really good filter. So I recommend them.
As for "most useful filters", I don't do portraits so can't advise you there. But for my nature/scenic/landscape/seascape etc., the polarizer is indispensable!