Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Flash Af assist light

Hi guys,I recently started shooting events at clubs..I use the K-5 with the Metz 48,but i find the af assist of the Metz too weak and my k-5 hunts a lot sometimes and at a significant rate misfocuses, lets say 20%.. I would like to ask if any of you has experience with the af assist light of the Pentax 540 or the metz 58?? Are they brighter? I mean i m jeallous of my work buddies strong af assist emmited from the SBs...I searced the net but i couldn't find any clues regarding the pentax af assist..Any help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks in Advance,
Dionysis

11-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you AF beam on the Metz is anything like my Sigma, I can understand your dilemma. The onboard AF light on the K5 is actually MUCH more affective than on my Sigma 530.
I've seen members talk about trying to force the onboard light while using a Metz, but haven't heard any success stories.

My suggestion would be a full manual flash gun/strobe and use the body's green light.
11-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
A full manual wouldn't fit my needs.. I prefer ttl because at flash output varies from shot to shot.. I just need to know if pentax 540 or metz 58 Af assist is stronger than Metz 48.. Or have a better pattern something else...
11-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
in my metz 58-2 Af flash have red assist light that i feel is not as bright as buildin lamp in camera. I would choose to use build in lamp instead but its not possible cos K5 automatically start to use assist light of the flash. Anyway metz 58-2 Af have very bright modeling light feature that need o trigger on manually and then its stays on about 3sec and its very nice to focus even how dark it is.

11-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #5

Original Poster
I think modeling light is not an option.. Imagine me shooting in a night club and blinding people every 30 seconds.. I just need to know if pentax 540 af assist is stronger.. Anyone using this flash can share his experience?
11-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dionisis_K Quote
I think modeling light is not an option.. Imagine me shooting in a night club and blinding people every 30 seconds..
Yeah modeling light is very bright strobo