Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How much does your pack weigh?

Just measured mine, with tripod attached. Came in at 20lb (about 9Kg). Not too concerned as am used to walking with a pack, but wondered if others bother to carry such i.e. average, under, over? Wouldn't be too much to lighten it, but you can bet that I'd forget to pack the battery charger etc if I took it abroad.

02-11-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With or without the van I need to carry it all?

The backpack bag is about the same. But with the lighting gear and all the other crap, it's getting large and heavy. I have 3 bags now and each has a separate purpose. 1 for lenses and filters etc. Another for flashes and lights and a third for umbrella, backdrops, cables, batteries and all that. I know there's a bit more to come as paid work increases.

For a day out though I carry a waist belt with 3-4 lenses and travel light.
02-11-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
Ed in GA

I just weighed my Pentax Sling Bag, 10.25lb (4.65KG).

However, I have a hard shell case in which I carry items that don't need to go with me at all times.

Actually, I'm not sure that I "need" everything that's in my sling bag. I'm just afraid that if I don't have it in there, it'll be the exact thing I need when I run across my next shot.
02-11-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not sure I want to know.

It also depends upon what you load it with, as peter said. If I take a computer that adds another 7 lbs.

Some day I moght weigh it, but for now, I have nevber had a problem day packing what ever I can fit into my biggest bag so I dont wory about it

02-11-2008, 07:35 AM   #5

I would guess my photographer gear that's with me daily is about seven pounds or three kilos. Unfortunately, I'm also carrying suckers for the kids in the street, doggie treats for the dogs, my current book to read during lunch, and a plethora of other stuff.
02-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bluespearbone Quote
How much does your pack weigh?

Way too much for my comfort. I finally got tired of toting everything around and bought a scooter a couple of years ago to ride instead. Since you can drive one of these just about anywhere here in Europe (and park anywhere - sidewalk, etc), it's ideal for getting into those out-of-the-way places. And, since I never have to tote anything far (nearby scooter to wherever), I don't really have to worry about how much my equipment weighs anymore.

This works so well, I just ordered my third scooter (Peugeot Satelis 125 4v) last week. The first one was a really cheap off-brand and didn't last. The second (a turbo 125cm) was fun, but couldn't be legally driven in certain countries under my current drivers license (too much hp). This third one (a non-turbo version of the previous) should be ideal. There's plenty of cargo space, with camera case fitting into the rear trunk and full-size tripod under the seat. Top speed is about 115 kph (70 mph) and it's equipped with an alarm, security chain, map-based GPS, and I'm adding an MP player with amplified dash-mounted speakers. So, for me, this is the ultimate camera case...

To conserve space, photo deleted by me after one week.

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 02-19-2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: deleted photo
02-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am not sure I want to know.
That's the way I feel about mine, too! Actually, now that I've gone digital, I keep things pretty light by only taking the specific lenses I anticipate using that day. But in my film days, I used to have everything I needed in one bag. I'm still not sure how much it weighs, but the usual reaction when someone would lift it was, "Good Lord!!" lol