Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Good USB3 card reader?

I am in the market to get a USB3 card reader for transferring pics to my computer instead of using the USB camera cord.

I've been doing quite a bit of looking and it seems like all readers I have come across have quite a number of bad reviews about how quick the readers break or poor construction, etc.

Anybody have a recommendation for a good, reliable USB3 reader?

11-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used this and it works great:
Amazon.com: Uspeed USB 3.0 SDXC Card Reader for SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, MMC 4.0 Card - 65 Mbps, Support UHS-I: Computers & Accessories

Remember that your computer needs to have USB3 ports My laptop has two!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked it up and also compared it to the Kingston G3 card reader and went ahead and picked up the Kingston reader.

Both get good reviews, but the Uspeed reader seems to maybe not have the ability for full speed transfer compared to some other readers.

The specs on the Uspeed one are also a bit confusing. Maybe something was lost in translation, but the specs say 65Mbps which is about 6.5MBps. I am guessing they meant 65MBps since the reviews seems to say that it can transfer at about that.

I do have USB3 ports on both my laptop and desktop, so that isn't a problem.