Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need a durable flash

ok my latest flash just stopped working after i admittedly dropped it. I had a Yongnuo Yn 560-IIThe drop height wasn't that high, maybe 4 feet but it did hit on hardwood floors. Now the flash turns on and all the controls works except that the flash won't fire. The test button doesn't work either. So i'm guessing something internally is broken. I'm waiting on the manufacturer to reply but in the meantime I will be looking for a new flash. Abyss recommendations. My old Pentax 240T works just great and has been dropped multiple times (even kicked) and its still works but it has limited functions. I need something that can take the abuse of a clumsy slippery handed person like myself

11-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Vivitar 283 and 285 are great flashes to replace your Yongnuo. They are really old but ridiculous good. They are single contact that will likely works with K-5. It works with canon DSLR. They also have several aperture for auto mode. They can be cheaply acquired on eaby.
11-28-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll look for them. I have heard that the Vivitar 285HV (the newer ones) are not up to the same standards as the older models.
11-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Indeed, there are numerous reports that the newer Vivitars are not that good.

That being said, you could also get a new Yongnuo for less than the price of a used Vivitar. Or you could spend just a few dollars more and get a Sigma PTTL flash (610 ST DG). the "Super" flashes from Sigma offer more manual controls, so if that's what you want the price would be higher, but if PTTL works for you then it could be a great idea.

11-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Re: The Vivitar 283: Make sure the trigger voltage is lower than 28 volts. The older Japanese made ones will cook your camera with a trigger voltage up to 600 volts. The newer ones made in China & Korea are supposedly ok, but I'd check with a multimeter to be sure.

I believe the 285 should be ok. Here's a trigger voltage chart you can consult before you buy.

I can also recommend the Sunpak 422D (and 433D, 444D) I have three of 'em & they're safe. Love 'em. They put out a lot of light (GN100), have variable power & a swivel/tilt head. Very versatile. They're also sturdily built. Expect to spend around $30 on the used market.
11-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Durable flashes: Quantum Qflash, Metz 40MZ, Sunpak 444D (36DX), 383 Super, 422D (30DX), Vivitar 285, 283, Nikon SB-24, SB-25, SB-26, SB-28, Contax TLA 360.

Among these, Sunpaks are my favorites. Nikon are good too and have more features, but cost more.
11-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Glad I came back to check this thread again. Lot more choices to research. Thanks everyone.

12-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
ok my latest flash just stopped working after i admittedly dropped it. I had a Yongnuo Yn 560-IIThe drop height wasn't that high, maybe 4 feet but it did hit on hardwood floors. Now the flash turns on and all the controls works except that the flash won't fire. The test button doesn't work either. So i'm guessing something internally is broken. I'm waiting on the manufacturer to reply but in the meantime I will be looking for a new flash. Abyss recommendations. My old Pentax 240T works just great and has been dropped multiple times (even kicked) and its still works but it has limited functions. I need something that can take the abuse of a clumsy slippery handed person like myself
There is not a single flash unit on the market, that will withstand a drop from 4 feet height by specification. If it does, it is pure luck, because it was just hit on a strong edge or the ground was soft or whatever. Whatever flash you are going to buy, the next fall will in all probability kill it.

I don't know your needs, but if dropping flash guns occurs frequently, you should consider a led-panel light and glue/tape something protective on the caseing. I always use cut offs from camping mats for such applications.

Ben
12-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
There is not a single flash unit on the market, that will withstand a drop from 4 feet height by specification. If it does, it is pure luck, because it was just hit on a strong edge or the ground was soft or whatever. Whatever flash you are going to buy, the next fall will in all probability kill it.
I had a nice vari-power "Focal" brand flash drop from 6 feet from a stand onto the concrete when the cheap plastic stand mount adapter broke. Amazingly, it was unfazed. The next time it dropped onto the soft ground from about 5 feet (the lock on the flash, didn't...) that killed it. The photo-gods had it in for that flash unit.
12-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm a big fan of the Nikon SB-25, though I can't vouch for its durability, since I've never dropped one. Usually available for $90 or less in excellent condition.
06-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I'm a big fan of the Nikon SB-25, though I can't vouch for its durability, since I've never dropped one. Usually available for $90 or less in excellent condition.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I can now vouch for the SB-25's durability, having dropped one of mine the other day. Onto a gravel driveway. From a height of maybe two and a half to 3 feet.

Plastic casing got a couple of minor dings in a couple of places, but no apparent harm to the workings of the flash.
06-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I forgot to post back on what i ended up doing. The manufacturer replaced my Yongnuo Yn 560-II for the cost of postage back to Hong Kong and I picked up Metz 54MZ-3 to go with my Pentax 280T I did pick up a Vivtar 283 but it turned out to be a dud. So now I have 3 flashes that so far have worked out very well. The Metz is my new go to flash followed by the Yongnuo and Pentax.