Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone have a Hakuba Versipod 2?

Looking at the Hakuba Versipod 2 and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them? The magnetic attachment of the plate to the little head worries me, I've always been taught to keep magnets away from electronics and watches.

Attached Images

11-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

interesting.

Kinda looks like a Hiking stick, Is it sturdy enough for that?

just for kicks, I have one of these and love it!
Amazon.com: Leki Sierra AS FS Antishock Photo Trekking Pole: Sports & Outdoors
11-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
interesting.

Kinda looks like a Hiking stick, Is it sturdy enough for that?

just for kicks, I have one of these and love it!
Amazon.com: Leki Sierra AS FS Antishock Photo Trekking Pole: Sports & Outdoors
The specs seem to indicate that its a descent hiking stick with a 100lbs rating.

Maximum Height Tripod mode: 58.7" (149.1cm)
Monopod mode: 62.5" (158.7cm) Minimum Height Tripod mode: 43" (109.2cm)
Monopod mode: 46.7" (118.6cm) Folded Length Two components; approx. 35.5" (90.2cm) each Load Capacity Tripod mode: Max. 9 lbs (4.1 kg)
Hiking mode: 100 lbs (45.4 kg)
11-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I dunno Doc, I'm picky with stuff that has to support me from time to time (literally) and would probably invest in proper hardware if I were you.
The price makes me worry a bit.

11-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have the Sunpak version of it. It is light-weighed. As a monopod it's sufficient for most shooting. At times I use it (as monopod) to support K7 + DA* 60-250.

It does NOT replace a full-sized tripod but I use it as a tripod for my P&S, including a Ricoh GXR with A16 24-85 lensor. There is no danger of the equipment falling down, but if there is any wind, the camera will not stand still.

It works great as a stand for remote flash.

I've been using it off and on for the last 2 years and have not noticed any problem caused by the MagMount ballhead.

The only thing I wish for is a shorter minimum height (for travel).

$25 + free shipping is a very good price. I'll be buying another one.
11-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I have the Sunpak version of it. It is light-weighed. As a monopod it's sufficient for most shooting. At times I use it (as monopod) to support K7 + DA* 60-250.

It does NOT replace a full-sized tripod but I use it as a tripod for my P&S, including a Ricoh GXR with A16 24-85 lensor. There is no danger of the equipment falling down, but if there is any wind, the camera will not stand still.

It works great as a stand for remote flash.

I've been using it off and on for the last 2 years and have not noticed any problem caused by the MagMount ballhead.

The only thing I wish for is a shorter minimum height (for travel).

$25 + free shipping is a very good price. I'll be buying another one.
Thanks. So you've used the magnetic head without problems, good to know.

I have a tripod but there are times when I'd like to have a converting Monopod. The ones I have seen have wire legs that you have to unscrew the bottom of the monopod, reverse it, screw it back in, etc. Seems time consuming and space consuming to be whirling it around to do that and they run $100-150. This one you just pop the strap and pull the legs out like a regular tripod. I'm not much of a hiker so haivng a trek stick isn't what I am after. An occassional group shot, a steady base for an indoor shot where tripods are not allowed and I'll be happy if its solidly made. As you said, for $25 shipped and their great return policy its hard to go wrong.
11-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I have a tripod but there are times when I'd like to have a converting Monopod. The ones I have seen have wire legs that you have to unscrew the bottom of the monopod, reverse it, screw it back in, etc. Seems time consuming and space consuming to be whirling it around to do that and they run $100-150.
Yup. I also have a copy of the Manfrotto "Self-Standing Monopod." It's built like a tank and feels like one - heavy and clumsy. For the last two years, it's only used as a stand for a remote flash unit, and that is only when the Sunpak (similar to the Hakuba discussed here) is not available.
11-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Yup. I also have a copy of the Manfrotto "Self-Standing Monopod." It's built like a tank and feels like one - heavy and clumsy. For the last two years, it's only used as a stand for a remote flash unit, and that is only when the Sunpak (similar to the Hakuba discussed here) is not available.
Mine arrived yesterday. Very nice unit. I see what you meant about wanting it to collapse into a smaller size but I can live with it. VERY stable from what I can see with its leg arrangement. Still not sure about these magnets though. I might just get a spacer and use the mount directly to the monopod itself, still haven't decided on that yet. The little head that came with it is very nice in many ways but magnets bother me in close proximity to electronics, and this one is pretty darn strong. All-in-all its a steal at $25!

01-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Santa brought me one. I share the concerns about the magnetic mount, so the first thing I did was replace it with a different head (I have both a ball head and a tilt-pan head).

Seems reasonably sturdy, I wish it collapsed into a shorter size for carrying. Don't really need a walking/hiking stick. I will be getting a cheap furniture-leg rubber cap to protect the base when the legs aren't deployed.

(for my own wacky reasons, I prefer a tilt-pan even though it's bulkier than a ball head; I find a ball head very awkward to adjust, needs two hands...actually to me it feels like it wants three hands to hold, adjust, etc., and I only have two hands)
01-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Santa brought me one. I share the concerns about the magnetic mount, so the first thing I did was replace it with a different head (I have both a ball head and a tilt-pan head).

Seems reasonably sturdy, I wish it collapsed into a shorter size for carrying. Don't really need a walking/hiking stick. I will be getting a cheap furniture-leg rubber cap to protect the base when the legs aren't deployed.

(for my own wacky reasons, I prefer a tilt-pan even though it's bulkier than a ball head; I find a ball head very awkward to adjust, needs two hands...actually to me it feels like it wants three hands to hold, adjust, etc., and I only have two hands)

I've had a few opportunities to use it and its very stable for a mono/tri-pod. I've used it directly to the camera and that works fine for me in most situations. If I need a head I'll use an old ball head from a tripod that I upgraded to a nice Manfrotto head.
01-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Right. I used an inexpensive tilt-pan head, not much bulkier than the other (also inexpensive) ball head. Both have QR, which is useful. I've not used the Versapod on a lot of shoots but so far it seems quite adequate. The price was certainly right! If it collapsed further it would be even better, but I can live with it.