Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wireless control - when do we get something like this product for Pentax?

I just saw this product, CamRanger, reviewed at a Norwegian photo site. Sadly, it only supports Nikon and Canon models at the moment.

I know people have been requesting tethering from Pentax for a while, but it might be easier to get providers of a third party product like this to expand their list of supported cameras? Anyway, I sent them an email suggesting that they develop support for Pentax - if anyone else feels like doing the same, have a look at CamRanger | Wireless DLSR Remote Control Tether for iPad or email them at support@camranger.com

If they see enough of a customer base, they might find it worth while...

11-29-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Even more important to me; I would like a tethering program that supported the equivalent of Live View on the attached computer. With PK-tether, I still have to be at the camera to determine when a moving subject has entered the camera frame.
11-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I agree, Jim, but that IS what you get with the CamRanger product that I link to. Live-view tethering. It looks like a small company, and they encourage you to email them if you want to be notified when support for your camera model is added. So I did, and if a couple of other people did so too, maybe we could convince them to look into Pentax support... *nudge, nudge*
11-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just sent an email ... I figure I am a long way down the list. Not only would it need to support my K-r, but Windows (preferable) or Android. The company expects to support those operating systems Real Soon Now, meaning it may or may not happen in a timely fashion.

11-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #5

I would LOVE to use live view on a 10" tablet in the field. Does not make sense that this isn't possible. There's also a company doing this for Canon called DSLR controller. They say they plan on other brand support after they finish all the Canon models but I'm not holding my breath. Seems to me that someone with the know how could make a tidy sum developing this for Pentax. I'd fork over $20-50 for this feature. ^Email sent.
11-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Even more important to me; I would like a tethering program that supported the equivalent of Live View on the attached computer. With PK-tether, I still have to be at the camera to determine when a moving subject has entered the camera frame.
Have you tried pktriggercord?
11-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Have you tried pktriggercord?
No. Does it support the equivalent of Live View, or like PK_Tether, does it only show what you have already shot?

11-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
No. Does it support the equivalent of Live View, or like PK_Tether, does it only show what you have already shot?
From the screenshots, it looks like it may have live view.

pkTriggerCord

I have not been able to get it to work on my machine with my K10d though.. just stops responding.

The author did say that it wasn't tested on 64-bit windows 7, so it may be a compatibility issue with my computer.
06-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Camranger

Hi Mette,

I just read this thread after searching camranger on google. Reason being the review in the latest issue of Digital Camera World (5 star).

The Canon version of the Camranger could be compatible with Pentax. My reason for saying this is the fact that Hahnelīs Inspire Wireless LiveView Remote Control for Canon works without problems on Pentax.

Has anybody tested Camranger with Pentax?
06-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
Hi Mette,

I just read this thread after searching camranger on google. Reason being the review in the latest issue of Digital Camera World (5 star).

The Canon version of the Camranger could be compatible with Pentax. My reason for saying this is the fact that Hahnelīs Inspire Wireless LiveView Remote Control for Canon works without problems on Pentax.

Has anybody tested Camranger with Pentax?
I suspect Camranger will not work with Pentax bodies. The Inspire device uses two connections to the camera body - one to the shutter release socket, and the second is the body's video out to AV socket. The Camranger device uses only the body's USB connection. In order for Camranger to work with a Pentax body, it would need to incorporate the equivalent of PK_Tether to talk with the camera.

My memory might be faulty, but I seem to recall several Pentax owners contacted the maker of Camranger in 2012 and we were all told - no plans to support at this time. All that said, thanks for bringing the Inspire device to our attention. B&H charges US$60 less for the Inspire than they do for Camranger. The Inspire device would have made last fall's family portrait session where I was both a subject and the photographer quite a bit easier.
07-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd settle for a reasonably priced device that simply sent the video from the HDMI output to a tablet. If I could see a larger version of the screen (without schlepping a full-size monitor) and use an ordinary remote release, life would still be easier than now, especially for shooting large groups.

I've seen a product out there from Teredek for serious four figure money which streams the HDMI to a tablet, but that seems a bit much for what seems to be a fairly simple capability (video to wifi) found in inexpensive webcams.
07-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reason why Japanese companies have not implemented such controls is because if NIH syndrome (not invented here).

There is a resounding corporate bitterness in Japan right now about the almost total loss of the smartphone and tablet markets. Japanese companies are stuck in a corporate rut (Nintendo) that is brand and supply chain focused and not network and consumer focused.

There are actually signs many Japanese companies are cloistering off their interfaces trying to force consumers away from open source and third party in favour of on-house, proprietary systems.
07-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The reason why Japanese companies have not implemented such controls is because if NIH syndrome (not invented here).

There is a resounding corporate bitterness in Japan right now about the almost total loss of the smartphone and tablet markets. Japanese companies are stuck in a corporate rut (Nintendo) that is brand and supply chain focused and not network and consumer focused.

There are actually signs many Japanese companies are cloistering off their interfaces trying to force consumers away from open source and third party in favour of on-house, proprietary systems.
I can see that, but Nikon and Canon were, the last I looked, Japanese companies, and this interface works with their products.

On the other end, I don't see why tablet manufacturers, who are not Japanese, can't give us an HDMI input or an easy way to send an HDMI signal to the tablet as a wireless signal, for less than $1,600. That same kind of system would be great with a Marshall or Lilliput monitor.

Last edited by GeneV; 07-20-2013 at 04:55 AM.
03-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #14

Hi there, was just inquiring about CamRanger myself and emailing them last night. ..seems they are still concerned with market share and the time/investment into making it compatible with Pentax versus working on updates for current systems. I am not very tech savvy and figure I'd still be out of luck with my K-10D though my K-5 has usb which is how Dave from CamRanger said that their interface is done on Canon and Nikon. Just looked like such an awesome product. I suppose I'll keep browsing threads for other suggestions.
03-10-2014, 01:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I suppose the appearence of the flu-card has removed some of the market for a Pentax-version? I hope Adam will be posting a flu-card review soon, I am still not quite sure about the functionalities, but I think it does most of what the CamRanger does?