Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #1

Digital Timer Remote (Intervalometer) for K-m

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi guys. I got Pentax K-m and it has only one port - mini USB for PC, or printer. Now I have bought Timer Remote which has C1 jack output, which is similar to headphones jack.
I need to know if I can get any C1 to USB reduction for my camera.
And does even my camera support any Timer Remotes ?

On manual is picture showing many other outputs which could replace C1 output.
On internet I found none informations on this topic.

This is the remote timer :
Timer Remote Shutter Pentax K M K20D K10D K200D K100D | eBay

Thanks for any help.

12-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't really get what you are asking for here. The one you've linked to doesn't exist anymore. I've got something like this one for my K5/K10.Timer Remote Shutter Release with LCD for Pentax K 7 K10D K110D K100D K20D K200D | eBay

Dead easy to use; just put it in and use it like a normal remote control. It simply plugs into the remote control port (which I think you are calling the C1 port). It will do interval timing as well as the more "normal" timing stuff. Don't have a K-m but it has been a common thing on cameras for quite a while.
12-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eonb Quote
I don't really get what you are asking for here. The one you've linked to doesn't exist anymore. I've got something like this one for my K5/K10.Timer Remote Shutter Release with LCD for Pentax K 7 K10D K110D K100D K20D K200D | eBay

Dead easy to use; just put it in and use it like a normal remote control. It simply plugs into the remote control port (which I think you are calling the C1 port). It will do interval timing as well as the more "normal" timing stuff. Don't have a K-m but it has been a common thing on cameras for quite a while.
I attach screenshot to Timer remote on ebay. My camera does not have that port you are using on your camera. I got only mini usb port. So i need to know how can i get this timer remote working on my camera.
Attached Images

12-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just had a look through the instructions for the camera. Bad news...I don't think that it will connect to your camera. The mini USB is designed for output only rather than input/output I think. Looking through the book, it only talks about an IR remote rather than a cabled remote and only lists an IR remote as an optional accessory. Don't think there is any way around this unfortunately.

12-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The lower end bodies like the K-m, K-x and K-r did not come with a remote port, your only option is infrared, I'm not sure if they sell an intervalometer for IR.

It might not be hard to combine that intervalometer with a cheap IR remote if you aren't afraid of soldering.
12-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The lower end bodies like the K-m, K-x and K-r did not come with a remote port, your only option is infrared, I'm not sure if they sell an intervalometer for IR.

It might not be hard to combine that intervalometer with a cheap IR remote if you aren't afraid of soldering.
And HERE is how to do it.
12-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for help.

12-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If all else fails and you still need a timer remote, there is also the gentLED-AUTO.

QuoteQuote:
The gentLED-AUTO is an intervalometer (interval meter) for repeatedly triggering digital cameras and camcorders that have IR capability. This intervalometer sends an IR signal that fires the camera shutter at preset intervals. Once switched on it repeatedly fires the shutter without operator involvement, making it ideal for taking time-lapse sequences or photographs where the operator isn't present.

Completely self contained, with built in on-off switch and battery (included) this unit gets you any repeat between 2 seconds and 30 minutes in three ranges. 18grams (0.6oz) & only 38x28x18mm (1.5"x1.1"x0.7"). Runs for 500000 camera triggers on 1 cell!
I got one some time ago for the K-x and it works fine. Price is £30.95.

EDIT - actually, they also have a product specifically designed to work with 3rd party remotes like the one the OP bought:
Gentles Limited: gentLED-TRIGGER

QuoteQuote:
Here are a few applications for this device:
  • Wireless camera controllers are available with a stereo 2.5mm jack designed to plug into specific cameras. They can also be used with gentLED- TRIGGER to also activate IR capable cameras.
  • Timers are also available with a stereo 2.5mm jack designed to plug into specific cameras. They can also be used with gentLED-TRIGGER to also activate IR capable cameras.

Last edited by rawr; 12-06-2012 at 12:39 AM.