Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
"Fast" SD cards - speed for downloading only?

I am going to the city soon and will stop at one of the big box stores to pick up some more SD cards. Currently I am using a 1gb PNY card I picked up at a stateside BB cheap for my kodak point & shoot.

My question is, for the same price I can get either one 2gb extreme III sandisk, or a 2 pack of 2gb ultra II sandisk cards. I know the extreme III's will download faster, but thats not really a concern for me, I am more concerned about which one is faster in the camera itself for taking continuous shots. If the speed rating is for the camera as well as downloading, then it'll be the Extreme III, if there is no diff as far as taking pictures go, then it'll be the 2 pack of Ultra II's.

thanks

ps. they are also having a clearance on Dane-elec 2gb cards for $14C ($25 OFF) - never heard of these cards, are they ok?

02-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #2

If there's one thing I learned, don't skimp out on cheapo memory cards. I have one of those Dane cards (came with a package I bought the K10 with) and after a couple shoots, the card just died on me, asking rendering a set of photos unreadable.

I suggest sticking to major brands for the precious photo capturing moments.

As the for the speed issue, Extreme II vs Extreme III wont be a major issue for continuous shots if you're shooting jpg, however, it will make a difference if you're shooting raw since the files are much much bigger. Faster read/write speeds are crucial at that point.
02-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Forum Member

I have 2x1GB Extreme IIIs and 1x 2GB Extreme III, i had a 133x PNY I bought cause it was cheaper than the Extreme, but it had problems uploading to my computer, and most of my images had colored spotted lines throughout. Very obvious, even at 'fit to screen' zoom on my laptop. So, i returned it and bought the 2gig extreme III. I will say, they are waaay faster than a regular card for uploads, which can add up. if you take a full card of pictures, it shaves off time. between a standard card and the extreme III id be theres an in camera difference too, but between an Ultra II and an Extreme III, I think theyd be the same. I read somewhere on the forum that the camera's read/write speed is lower than the 133x cards, so no difference there as far as i know.

I would definitely stick with sandisk or lexar though
02-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How much write speed you need depends on which camera you use. K10D can write up to 11MB/s; *istDS/DL series 2-3MB/s; K100D series 3-4MB/s (have to double check). You can check the dpreview reviews for the max write speed of specific cameras. Once that speed has been reached, faster card won't make any difference on camera write speed. However, many cards write slower than advertized. From what I have read, some of the late UltraII is slower than stated too. Lexar 133X, ATP ProMax & Sandisk ExtremeIII are some of the fastest cards. Panasonic (Gold label) is good too. Quality wise, I rate Panasonic 1st, ATP/Lexar 2nd and Sandisk last.