Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #1

Viewfiner for K-01

Hello all,

I've never actually posted before, but at this point I think I could use some help on an accessory I'm interested in purchasing. I purchased a K-01 about six months ago and it works great. However, I recently moved to Qatar and it's a bright desert environment creates a problem. I can't view the LCD screen very easily. So I'm looking at purchasing a view finder.

This is the one I'm looking at, any opinions?
Amazon.com: NEW AUTHENTIC Carry Speed VF-3 Swivi Universal LCD View Finder for DSLR: Camera & Photo

12-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hear Pentax makes a great viewfinder called the K5. It also comes with a camera attached.

Just kidding. Bright sunshine is the bane of viewfinderless cameras.

I looked at that link, why add all those accessories? Why not get another camera?
12-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
Because a camera would cost me much more and this, in theory, could work for now. I was going to purchase the k - 5 IIs, but I don't see the point in purchasing a whole other camera body. My current camera creates great images and I just wanted something to help during day shoots.
12-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jayc5687 Quote
Because a camera would cost me much more and this, in theory, could work for now. I was going to purchase the k - 5 IIs, but I don't see the point in purchasing a whole other camera body. My current camera creates great images and I just wanted something to help during day shoots.
True, but the prices of the K30 and K5 classic are pretty low these days.
I hear you about not spending more.

12-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a cheap possible solution: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/179430-lcd-hood-shade-2.html#post1900636
12-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

lol well why not just get a D800E with a cloak! [/sarcasm]
I think I read some good reviews by people using the K-01 with a viewfinder loupe, though I am not sure which one. It will probably work just fine, as long as you can attach it. Maybe try googling if anyone has ever use that specific viewfinder on a K-01.
12-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jayc5687 Quote
Hello all,

I've never actually posted before, but at this point I think I could use some help on an accessory I'm interested in purchasing. I purchased a K-01 about six months ago and it works great. However, I recently moved to Qatar and it's a bright desert environment creates a problem. I can't view the LCD screen very easily. So I'm looking at purchasing a view finder.

This is the one I'm looking at, any opinions?
Amazon.com: NEW AUTHENTIC Carry Speed VF-3 Swivi Universal LCD View Finder for DSLR: Camera & Photo
I've also looked at the Carry-Speed Swivi, but mainly for shooting video with my K-5 and Q.

The fact that it doesn't use adhesive is a positive for Qatar, as the heat will certainly drop any stick-on device off the back glass. I also like that it can work for many different sizes and shapes of cameras, due to the adjustability. However, this loupe (really, any 3x loupe) is a really big thing to attach to the bottom and back of your K-01. Prepare for a much bulkier camera, even when the loupe part is "flipped up" and it just acts as a sunshade!

Also, Carry-Speed is not the only brand name for these devices. They are made by GGS in China, and are sold (for less) by Cowboy Studio, Adorama, and of course on eBay (search for GGS swivi).

12-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Panoguy, that was great information. I know it'll make it bulkier and I don't mind. I carry around a 3Dx at work right now so weight and builk are not something I'm bothered by. Thanks again.
12-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have one of the 3x "Perfect Viewfinder" attachements. I am waiting on the mount to get here as the one I got for really cheap didn't have the mount.

It is one that the mount sticks to the back of the camera, but you can unclip the loup really easily so you don't have to leave it on there. Also much lighter than the ones that attach via the tripod mount. This type is also a lot cheaper than the one you are looking at.

If you want one for multiple cameras, then the one that attaches to the tripod mount is waht you want. If you only need it for one camera, then one with the sticky mount should work just fine and save you a bit as well.
12-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You fail to mention the lens(es) that would be used. An optical finder (either an old one or one of the new ones--likely $35 to $150.) and zone focusing, but most finders are fixed FL. Would be agreat combo with a fixed FL in the 15-28 mm range.
12-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Another possibility is the viewfinder marketed for the Q, PENTAX Q Viewfinder O-VF1 47mm reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database , that just slides into the hot shoe so fits any body. Although its a solidly made little accessory its pricy. I only have one because it came in a bundle with my Q but I use it on the K-01 with the 21mm-50mm primes. Works well...just pricy unless you find a used one.