Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
Lowepro Pro Messenger Bag
It's a very nice bag indeed. The only thing I dislike is that it's short and thick (wide), so it gets in the way often. I prefer a bag that's narrower and longer.

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
As a photographer the little lowepro logo is the first thing I notice and wonder to myself, "I wonder what camera is in it?"
I do that too! And I think : why isn't the camera in his hand?

12-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ASa Quote
These look indeed gorgeous, and they're not insanely priced. If I were to buy an indisguisable camera bag I'd go for one from ONA... Unfortunately I haven't found a dealer for those in Europe, and getting one at that price+VAT+duties would cost me quite a bit too much...
Yeah, I bought the Union Street bag. The shipping and duties to Canada were about 50% of the retail price of the bag by the time I got it around my shoulder. Great bag though and definitively does not look like a camera bag.
12-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #48
Pentaxian

To follow suit on that thread : Santa gave me the Timbuk2 bag after all The Small version, which is actually large enough to hold the K20D with Sigma 17-70 mounted, the 60-250, DA21, F50 f1,7, DFA 100 macro WR, a Sigma 530 flash, and a few odds and ends. It's extremely well made, sturdy fabric, loops for a tripod, comfortable strap, room for a laptop or tablet (though not much padding there). The camera section is an insert that is very well made and easy to remove if needed. Its all I wanted.

It looks great too, but more of a "sports" bag than a classy leather one. And it clearly does not scream "camera bag".
12-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The ciesta partitions are really very handy! They fit into any bag you like and come in a few sizes!
I might have to get one myself. Thanks for sharing.

12-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Why bother, the minute you pull out the camera from the bag/pack/sack or put the camera back in it, everyone in the vicinity will know that it's a camera bag. What if you need a tripod, carrying a tripod or a monopod will immediately identify you as a shooter regardless of the type of bag you carry. Being alert and aware of your surroundings at all times is the best deterrent against theft.
01-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #51
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by FarmerJim Quote
Camera bag the doesn't look like one
Get a Peli 1510, it looks more like a lunch box designed to survive Armageddon.
01-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This 15", 18 Pocket Tool Bag with Strap or something like the one posted one page back. That one looks a little better.

01-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Here's my solution: A Rothco messenger bag for around $30 and a Mountainsmith insert for $20. Sort of Domke on the cheap. I have a Rothco laptop messenger that I use everyday and love. The leather straps are strictly decoration, but I found that they will strap down my tripod in a pinch. Bottom line is I suggest you buy whatever shoulder bag you like and add one of the various inserts available.

01-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I have a Naneu Pro Urban Gear U 30 backpack. It's very small, yet comfortably fits my K-7 with battery grip, 18-135, 40 ltd, 70 ltd, 35-70, 50-200, Nikon SB-25, extra batteries, sd cards, and other small accessories.
01-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Why bother, the minute you pull out the camera from the bag/pack/sack or put the camera back in it, everyone in the vicinity will know that it's a camera bag. What if you need a tripod, carrying a tripod or a monopod will immediately identify you as a shooter regardless of the type of bag you carry. Being alert and aware of your surroundings at all times is the best deterrent against theft.
Good point, and one reason I'm glad I live in South Korea now. This kind of random street crime is actually very rare here, so rare that most people have no problem just leaving a table full of expensive electronics there and wandering off and fully expecting it to be there when they come back.

I haven't got comfortable doing that yet, but I don't feel the need to clutch my gear in some kind of death grip like I might back home.
01-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #56
Veteran Member

I still have the purchases in my eBay account, hopefully the links work.
The messenger bag:
New Men's Canvas Casual GYM Shoulder Messenger Satchel Purse School Bag Travel | eBay

The Ciesta insert bag:
New Ciesta Flexible Camera Partition Insert Bag (Large) for DSLR SLR (Brown) | eBay
Thanks for this!
I've ended up getting both ... now I'm just waiting for them .
01-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #57

This is my main bag at the moment, but in red (link) . Combined with a Camaroo insert from Amazon for $25. (link).

I have a backpack from Clikelite for hiking or more serious shoots when I'll need a tripod or more gear, but for traveling/daily use; this bag is perfect for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
While this is true, it's still a little more incognito then toting around an obvious name brand camera bag. I'm not always shooting but often have my camera on me. Not to mention, IMO most of the camera bags out there are ugly and boring.
01-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #58
Veteran Member

This is the one I just ordered
Ebay Product page It's cheaper here in Korea, about $50, and it's also the only one I've seen advertised using Pentax as the prop here. Korea is heavily a Canon/Nikon country. It doesn't much look like a camera bag, looks like backpack, without any kind of camera logo on it.
Bonus is that it has a rain shield built in. If you're out and about and it starts to rain, you can pull this from the bottom and it covers the whole bag protecting it. My normal day to day backpack also has one of these. Very useful.