Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by musings Quote
Louicio,

Just bought one of the Ciesta partitions. Thanks for the link!

Still pondering one of the bags

Regards, Gary
The ciesta partitions are really very handy! They fit into any bag you like and come in a few sizes!

12-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

There are also 'Puleme' brand camera inserts/partitions on eBay in various shapes and sizes. They are quite well made.
12-16-2012, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I vouch for Lowepro Passport, it's designed very intelligently, and I use it to carry my Macbook too since it looks inconspicuously.

Lowepro's Passport Sling? - YouTube
12-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #34

Out and about I throw my camera and perhaps a spare lens and film in my plain old smaller messenger bag. No distinctive marks, it just makes me look like one of those "hipster" "murse" toting kids, which I'm accused of often. If I need to carry more than that, I do use my bigger Lowepro camera bag, which looks like a camera bag, so I'm just a bit more cautious as to what's around me. Not that anyone wants to snag my old ME Super's.... but when people see a certain bag or case, they go for it. Just as I've known many touring musicians to lose their trailers of gear just because it's a trailer with band stickers all over it....

12-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #35
Forum Member

A Civil War haversack might do, if you don't have too many things knocking about inside, or with an insert. The Union version is tarred canvas - waterproof. Of course, a reenactor might like it!

12-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Domke bags don't particuarlly look like they are meant to hold anything in particular... I have one of the rugged wear bags and it is totally solid and easy to shoot out of. For longer walks (or when I need to also carry a bunch of baby junk in addition to camera gear) I use my clik elite probody sport. It really just looks like an outdoor gear backpack, not specifically a camera bag. Of course, well educated thieves can always spot your high end bags. That's why sometimes I just use a mountainsmith cube and stick it inside another bag.
12-18-2012, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

I live in a large city metro area (Chicago), and theft has been a concern for me forever. Some of the most versatile "stealth" bags I've used are a number of different sized ballistic nylon tool bags.

They're not padded, but I don't throw my gear around, and haven't dropped a camera bag in 30 years and don't plan on doing so in the foreseeable future. They open up wide, so it's easy to pull anything out and root around inside, and they always have a number of internal and external pockets. They seem to always come with a shoulder strap, but I've got a few padded straps that I like that I can easily attach to any of these bags. Instead of dividers, I use neoprene lens sacks to keep the lenses from being damaged from banging around.

They're not stylish, but they are easily available, cheap, durable, and available in different sizes depending on how much gear I want to carry. I linked to a pic of a Craftsman because it was easy to find online, but most of mine are no name, and have different colored panels, so look like they just house dollar-store throw away tools instead of thousands of $$ in camera gear.

Scott

12-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I have 3 DSLR bodies....a K-5, K-m and a K10D. The 5 and 10 both use a Battery grip. I have a small Canon G 12 and a Canon 430 EX 11 flash.

I have 3 medium to medium-small size LowePro top loader bags. Each of the three is dedicated specifically to an individual DSLR body

I have one XL LowePro top loader bag. It has 9 slots for lenses/flashes/light meters. I use this for padded storage and it's usually full.

I have one LowePro slingshot..small. I carry my G12 and Canon flash in this bag. This is my daily carry around. The Pentax DSLR's are for serious photography.

I have a closet at home dedicated to photo equipment with a 3 shelf high storage shelf. Each DSLR with a lens or two has it's spot on the wide shelf unit. I can just grab the camera/lens I want...fast...with this organization.

I add padding to the bottom of each bag and also have foam squares that I cut in halves or thirds or leave whole. I stuff these around equipment when there in the bags...all is tight fitting and well padded.
12-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
Domke bags don't particuarlly look like they are meant to hold anything in particular...
I have one of the rugged wear bags and it is totally solid and easy to shoot out of.
Domke bags are great. I cut the brand tag off with scissors.

Chris
12-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member

In my opinion anything with the name lowpro screams camera bag. It doesn't matter what it looks like. All thieves know it too.
12-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #41
Veteran Member

But I also think it depends on the purpose of the bag. Much of this discussion takes a different turn when we are considering bags for non-urban environments. While theft might still be possible, it is much less likely. And it doesn't help that Lowepro builds good bags. I think the Lowepro Pro Messenger Bag doesn't look particularly camera bagish.
12-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
In my opinion anything with the name lowpro screams camera bag. It doesn't matter what it looks like. All thieves know it too.
As a photographer the little lowepro logo is the first thing I notice and wonder to myself, "I wonder what camera is in it?"
12-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #43
ASa

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I have a large Tumi laptop messenger that I put dividers in or if I'm traveling light, I have a smaller Tumi bag that fits my K-30 with DA 40 LTD.
Neither of my bags scream "camera bag" and Tumi makes some very nice quality products that I've been very happy with.

For those of you at are fans of leather, I think these bags are gorgeous.
----> The Copper River Bag Company by CopperRiverBags on Etsy
These look indeed gorgeous, and they're not insanely priced. If I were to buy an indisguisable camera bag I'd go for one from ONA... Unfortunately I haven't found a dealer for those in Europe, and getting one at that price+VAT+duties would cost me quite a bit too much...
12-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #44

Photos: Albums
Planning on getting the Lowepro hatchback. It doesn't look like a camera bag (aside from the Lowepro name plastered across the back of it) and even if it did, you'd have a hard time stealing anything from inside without taking the bag off. Shy of buying a bag not intended for camera use, for me, this one is the way to go.

Lowepro Photo Hatchback 16L AW Backpack (Galaxy Blue)
12-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Navmaxlp Quote
Planning on getting the Lowepro hatchback. It doesn't look like a camera bag (aside from the Lowepro name plastered across the back of it) and even if it did, you'd have a hard time stealing anything from inside without taking the bag off. Shy of buying a bag not intended for camera use, for me, this one is the way to go.

Lowepro Photo Hatchback 16L AW Backpack (Galaxy Blue)

Looks like a nice little pack and not too stiffly padded and "boxy" like the Fastpack or Flipside backpacks.... but .......
OMG !!! check out the "ITEM DEMO" link to the Lowepro video.

Thie chick in the video is probably over at the Nikon forums right now asking "what is this grinding noise in my lens when it zooms?" or "whats are these blotches on all my pictures?"