Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Camera bag the doesn't look like one...?

I was talking to someone the other day who keeps his camera in a tricked out diaper bag (really!). Lots of storage and nobody will want to take it. That got me thinking about my bags. They all look like camera bags, and some look like nice tempting targets.

In looking at the local sporting goods store, I saw a Dakine Mission Photo for less than $100 USD. While not an ideal bag for me, it does not look anything like a camera bag, or a messenger bag that looks like a laptop would be in it.

Do you use, or have you seen (or made), a good bag that doesn't scream "There is a nice camera inside of me"?

12-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For roaming around I just have a basic Roots messenger bag, I threw an insert into it that keeps my cameras safe. Right now my D600 w/85mm 1.8, and my K5 with DA*16-50 f2.8 live in there almost full time. If i need more than this, I take my Think Tank stealth reporter 200 bag (I think it's the 200... its the second largest in the stealth line) Even that bag doesn't scream camera gear, but its my favourite bag I've ever used or looked at. I've been through about a dozen bags, and it does the best job for me. One of the crumpler bags wouldn't be too bad either. As they look kind of bright and flashy. Not your typical black reporter bag.
12-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

People often mistake this for a handbag, and it does look like one, which is a good disguise, I guess.

But I have one and they are certainly OK camera bags, and it takes a netbook or iPad too:

Tamrac Aria 6

Name:  tamrac-aria-6.jpg
Views: 3205
Size:  29.5 KB
Attachment 150881

Mine is black, but it also comes in brown, olive green or hot pink, if you really want to discourage thieves.
Attached Images

12-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a black Rothco military field bag, a Converse military bag in olive, and/or one of several simple messenger bags I bought at Target on clearance. I have a few I switch off and none of them looks like a camera bag. I have the Manhattan Portage insert which I got for 50% off in the Amazon warehouse a while back. It's a good one and I like it very much. I do have a Tamrac holster bag but I found it just attracted way too much attention when I used it around here so it's now sitting up in the closet with a matching waist pack, pretty much unused at this point. The bags I have they just look like carry all bags and that works well for me.

12-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by FarmerJim Quote
I was talking to someone the other day who keeps his camera in a tricked out diaper bag (really!). Lots of storage and nobody will want to take it. That got me thinking about my bags. They all look like camera bags, and some look like nice tempting targets.

In looking at the local sporting goods store, I saw a Dakine Mission Photo for less than $100 USD. While not an ideal bag for me, it does not look anything like a camera bag, or a messenger bag that looks like a laptop would be in it.

Do you use, or have you seen (or made), a good bag that doesn't scream "There is a nice camera inside of me"?
OH MY GOD!

Thank you for the link!!

This is seriously everything I have been looking for! (clearly not hard enough )

</starts counting pennies>
12-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Similar to rawr, I am using a Tamrac Rally 6 which I believe is a precursor of the Aria or Evolution messenger series.
It's very comfortable and non-descript in black. The strap is long enough to wear cross body style.

Last edited by crewl1; 12-10-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: model is actually rally 6, next size up from rally 4
12-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have been using a "repurposed" Eddie Bauer diaper bag for about 5 years after the youngest grew out of needing it.
I thought nobody would know because thay are not that common. However last summer went over to a party and friend who is a family GP exclaimed loudly " you still got a diaper bag?"

12-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just use a random unbranded satchel bag.

it does a decent enough job for my gear, but it lacks the foam partitions inside (my lenses either have their original leather cases, or if not I slip them into a thick sock to protect them.

One day I'll get off my arse and buy an insert.
12-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a large Tumi laptop messenger that I put dividers in or if I'm traveling light, I have a smaller Tumi bag that fits my K-30 with DA 40 LTD.
Neither of my bags scream "camera bag" and Tumi makes some very nice quality products that I've been very happy with.

For those of you at are fans of leather, I think these bags are gorgeous.
----> The Copper River Bag Company by CopperRiverBags on Etsy
12-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The 3 camera bags I have don't look like camera bags and that's why I like them. Actually I use them most often for caring other things besides my cameras:
#1 used bag is a chinese domke f803 ripoff, doubles as my gym bag.

#2 I use similar bag to this one, but made of leather, so it's mostly waterproof:

It's perfect for K5, couple of limiteds, my GRD and few filters. Perfect walkabout setup.

#3 is Crumpler Karachi Outpost. Great for keeping all of my gear in one place while travelling by airplane. Also I will take one of the bags above for when I'm on foot with smaller setup.
Karachi Outpost (M)
12-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Similar to rawr, I am using a Tamrac Rally 4 which I believe is a precursor of the Aria or Evolution messenger series.
It's very comfortable and non-descript in black. The strap is long enough to wear cross body style.
thats a sexy looking bag.
12-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the ideas. There are a lot of options out there, keep 'em coming. :-)
12-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

FWIW, I also have two photo backpacks, when I want to carry around more than a few items of gear - a Vanguard Uprise 45, which is quite large and does look like some sort of gear pack, but is otherwise a very good backpack, and a Tamrac Travel Pack 73.

The Tamrac only cost me $43 and is a small pack that (to me) looks very ordinary and non camera gear like. While it is a small pack, it actually fits a decent amount of gear inside. It can even fit my monopod diagonally across the interior. It is also admirably weatherproof.

Name:  111269.jpg
Views: 2583
Size:  18.4 KB
Name:  5373_open_black_lrg.jpg
Views: 2146
Size:  26.9 KB
12-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
The 3 camera bags I have don't look like camera bags and that's why I like them. Actually I use them most often for caring other things besides my cameras:
#1 used bag is a chinese domke f803 ripoff, doubles as my gym bag.

#2 I use similar bag to this one, but made of leather, so it's mostly waterproof:

It's perfect for K5, couple of limiteds, my GRD and few filters. Perfect walkabout setup.

#3 is Crumpler Karachi Outpost. Great for keeping all of my gear in one place while travelling by airplane. Also I will take one of the bags above for when I'm on foot with smaller setup.
Karachi Outpost (M)
You put your K5 in a bag that's held your sweaty gym clothes? Ugh!!!!
12-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
You put your K5 in a bag that's held your sweaty gym clothes? Ugh!!!!
The bag gets washed, it's not that hard to throw it into washing machine. Not to mention that the camera padding is removable. That's another thing that I like about this bag, it's simple, it's easy to wash, since it's made out of cotton.